BS&A Software

Tom Szur

Solid Software Development Internship

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern  in  Bath, MI
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Bath, MI

I worked at BS&A Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very helpful intern manager Jay. Only 15 minutes from school and they pay their interns well. Well worth the experience. And they are extremely flexible with hours, great for college students.

Cons

Not too many younger people. Developers scattered all over the building, had to walk all over the place to talk to people.

Introduce yourself to interns, i never met any upper management.

An Employer that truly cares.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Bath, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bath, MI

I have been working at BS&A Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It has been a blessing to have had the opportunity to work for such a wonderful company. The partners truly care about each and everyone of the employees, and you are surrounded by brilliant and humble people. Management continues to invest in the future and the company has experienced consistent steady growth over the last decade.

Cons

The internal training for new hires may be lacking slightly, the resources are there are motivated self starters will no doubt succeed, but those that require motivation and direction from management may struggle.

Great company filled with talented people

Current Employee - Developer  in  Bath, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Bath, MI

I have been working at BS&A Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Resources are never an issue, and as a developer I have never felt that my hardware has been the bottleneck or reason for a missed deadline. Management understands that supplying you with what you need to be productive and comfortable is an important part of day to day operations. We all get ergonomic adjustable height desks, dual monitors, fast machines and a comfortable office.

- Competitive pay. Despite the seemingly one negative review on here currently, pay here for starting positions is competitive with the many (yes there are many) tech companies in the area. The base salary is good, and the benefits are great. You will not find a better compensation package for 401K, health care, dental and vision. They give us plenty of vacation time as well.

- Developers and support alike are allowed to work from home through VPN, allowing you to be home for that ever convenient cable tv appointment or to care for sick family members, or just to avoid driving in bad weather. They trust you to get your job done, and really don't mind if you need to adjust your schedule on occasion to account for appointments or life's little surprises.

- The atmosphere is great here. I would not call it a family atmosphere any longer...because we are growing so fast. Quite honestly, there are several new hires who I don't know by name yet. However, everyone here respects each other and works as a team to make our customers happy. So, even though the "small company" family days may be behind us, we all know one another and spend time together doing things like the company sports teams and enjoy time together outside of work as well.

- Working with the latest technologies is always great. The mind set of not falling behind, but rather leading the way with newer and better technologies is exciting to us developers. It's something that has certainly changed recently, and is 100% for the better.

Cons

- Location is not great, but there are options for lunch within 10 minutes, and you get an hour to make the trip. A small price to pay if you ask me.

- Occasional reliance on a single point of knowledge internally causes delays when it could be avoided if multiple people were trained in that area. This is something that exists as a holdover from being such a small company, and is slowly being addressed.

I am happy to say that things are going great with the new departments and better organization within the company as the company grows. Now that there are over 100 employees, continuing to improve the newly created lines of communication will be important. Keep finding great individuals and providing top-notch support and I think things will continue to look up for BS&A. As BS&A expands into new markets out of state, keep focused on our core values and make sure every customer gets the great products and support that this company is founded on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Bath, MI
    Former Employee - Programmer in Bath, MI

I worked at BS&A Software part-time for less than a year

Pros

I tried to think of something positive to say about working here, but I couldn't think of a single thing.

Cons

I don't understand most of the reviews here. The atmosphere is not family-oriented. It is FAKE, FAKE, FAKE. It's all about fitting in with the culture and getting in good with the partners. If you aren't liked and play all the games, you're done.

The salary isn't competitive, it's well below industry average. The thing that most of the reviews neglect to mention is that the greater Lansing area has virtually NO high tech jobs at all. People like working here because it beats unemployment.

I've also heard the "BS&A is SO much better than big corporate America" argument, too. That is because no one else writes municipal software. As soon as a decent competitor enters the market, this company is in trouble.

This place operates with sweat-shop mentality. They expect everything to be Nazi-perfect or they will fire you without warning. I personally saw this when I worked there. There is NO compassion, NO second chances, and NO help. These people DO NOT CARE who they use, hurt, or destroy.

This company, like most of the state, is natives only. If you're not from Michigan, you won't understand the culture, will be thought weird because you're not from here, and will see how closed-minded and bigoted people from this area really are.

Why bother? You don't care about anything except your bank accounts anyway. Keep throwing away good employees and working the others to death; it seems to be what you're good at.

Unfavorable review

Former Employee - Who Cares  in  Bath, MI
    Former Employee - Who Cares in Bath, MI

I worked at BS&A Software for less than a year

Pros

I wish there were something positive to say about working here. Some of the people were nice, but the atmosphere was still very cliquey.

Cons

Bait and switch hiring practices (promised a lot, delivered NOTHING):

Low pay, and the promise of a "competitive" raise after a probationary period never happened.

Horribly long hours that did not let up.

Disgustingly RUDE, ARROGANT management full of HUBRIS

Blatant cronyism - not EVERYONE works hard. Definitely some laggards that the partners liked.

NO direction - you had to figure EVERYTHING out for yourself from day one. Despite what "training" they talked about in the interviews, there was NONE.

No concrete goals - just make the customer happy, and hope that you can read the partner's minds as far as what this really means.

No clue

I am so glad I am out of there. You ran this place like a sweat shop, which was no doubt by design. Enjoy your millions, even though you don't deserve any of it.

The best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Software Support  in  Bath, MI
    Current Employee - Software Support in Bath, MI

I have been working at BS&A Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BS&A goes out of their way to treat their employees well. They are very family-oriented, and thus are very understanding and flexible when it comes to your family issues. The work environment is friendly and manages to be professional and casual at the same time. The benefits to working here go far beyond a paycheck, and as we work hard every day to help our customers I go home each day with a sense of accomplishment.

Cons

I don't necessarily consider these cons, but fair warnings: if you want to work here, you need to be willing to dedicate yourself to continuous learning. As a software company, the environment is quite dynamic and always progressing, so employees need to be comfortable with a learning curve that essentially never ends. You also must be flexible; no one day is exactly like another, and certain times of the year are much busier than others. You need to be willing to work hard; this company does expect a lot from its employees. But they also take extra care to make sure that those who work hard are justly rewarded.

BS&A has undergone substantial growth over the past few years; my advice to management is to not lose sight of what got them here. The core values that this company was built on have created an outstanding environment, and I encourage management to work hard to stick to those even as the growth of the company makes it more difficult. So far they have done well, and have made it apparent to us that these values are important to them also. This company is working hard to not sacrifice quality for the sake of growth, and I commend them for this and urge them to continue this fight.

My other family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bath, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bath, MI

I have been working at BS&A Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

From my first day here, I felt welcomed into a warm and friendly family. I showed my dedication and worked hard, which did not go unnoticed. There were acknowledgements that were not only given at the time of my annual reviews; they were given through the year. If you have any ideas and/or questions they are responded and answered.

It has been portrayed that everyone in our company is important and that makes a great company. Not only am I reflected in my work but that is also reflected for this company and I believe my co-workers and I take pride in what we do every day to make this company stand out. Not a lot of people can say that they enjoy coming to work every day but I am glad that I am one of those people!

Cons

Lines of communication between management and employees were laxed but I have seen them improve significantly in the last year.

Keep up the good work! The employees look up to your hard work and appreciate the many praises that are given. Don't forget to mention the little things that are noticed to your employees...we really appreciate it!

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Software Support  in  Bath, MI
    Current Employee - Software Support in Bath, MI

I have been working at BS&A Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have enjoyed working at BS&A with a respectable salary, great benefits such as profit sharing bonuses, 401K, health insurance, to name a few as well as suprise gifts for doing a great job. Detailed job reviews are done on a regular basis where obtainable goals are reviewed and set. It's great to know what is expected and where I need to advance.
    New office building and updated workstations. BS&A management is working on growing the company and yet keeping home town atmosphere. They continue to provide new tools for employees to accomplish our jobs more efficiently.

Cons

Communication can always be improved no matter the company. As the company grows hopefully management will continue to inform employees of the direction they are taking.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Slave  in  Bath, MI
    Former Employee - Slave in Bath, MI

I worked at BS&A Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

I wish I had something positive to say about working here. They seemed friendly enough in the interviewing process and promised big things. Once I signed on the dotted line, everything changed and it was a nightmare.

Cons

- Long hours (12+ a day + weekends)
    - Low pay -- 15K below what I was really worth. Since this was my first job, I naively took it thinking I would get paid in experience -- BIG MISTAKE.
    - Rude, aggressive, management that tries to bully and intimidate you
    - Policies not laid out, you have to read minds and be totally in sync with what these people expect
    - Politics and cronyism to a cancerous degree

The time table on my project was suddenly cut in half without any explanation given. I was already working 60 hours a week. Apparently, this wasn't enough and the partner assigned to "mentor" me accused me of lying to him, questioned my integrity, and personally insulted me to try to bully and squeeze more productivity out of me.

I never understood the underhandedness or two-faced approach to running a company, but these people have it down to a science.

Your software isn't that wonderful and you aren't the best or most successful start-up. Stop treating your employees like dirt. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Fantastic Company with Outstanding Growth Potential

Current Employee - Technical Support and Implementation Specialist  in  Bath, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support and Implementation Specialist in Bath, MI

I have been working at BS&A Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The pay is very competitive for full-time employees and the benefits package is AMAZING! Internships are also paid with a chance to become a full-time employee at the end of the internship.

* The work atmosphere is very laid back but everyone remains focused on doing their job and doing it well.

* The Owners treat the employees VERY well with bonuses, raises, cook-outs, Christmas parties and Summer parties.

* The potential for growth as an employee is also a key Pro. Each day you are presented with opportunities to take on new projects and assert yourself in new ways. Managers notice when you take the extra effort to help out and tackle new projects and the compensation is very nice!

Cons

* As the company continues to grow with new clients, new employees are needed. Therefore the training program needs to be buffed a little. As a current employee, I can state that this area is very actively being worked on so that future interns are provided with a very informative and helpful training program to help them learn the various software programs.

* Don't loose track of what has made you successful: Customer Service. In order for your employees to make your customers happy, the employees themselves have to be happy. If things continue as they are now, the sky is the limit for this company and I am so grateful to be along for the ride!

Worked for BS&A Software? Contribute to the Community!