BT

BT Reviews in Birmingham UK

Updated Mar 6, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 48 reviews)

• Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights
5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

British Telecom ( The Phone book )

Senior Sales Professional (Former Employee) Newcastle, England (UK)

ProsWorking for BT as a senior sales professional involved a lot of dedication and hard work the company paid well and offered advancement my last manager turned out to be the best over a 5 year period I saw a lot of staff and management come and go.

Visiting the clients and not being micro managed was the best part of the job hitting the targets made it all worthwhile however getting yout bonus paid out was another thing all together!!

Im glad I worked with BT it is a great thing to have on your resume ...........

If you want to work for a big corporate machine with full benefits then this is your oppertunity !

ConsIn the sales division getting your bonus/commission paid out on time or ever is the downside to working for BT if's and butts are candy nutts ...........

Advice to Senior ManagementI have seen a lot of the senior management come and go, corporate business is fast paced, sometimes when change is for validation of your salary its all about YOU, YOU, YOU !

BTE - worrying times ahead..

Technical Support (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsI would say the new offices, but considering where they are - I won't!

ConsAn over confident management team, allowing major competitors access to our biggest customers - who are now migrating to those competitor products.

Building and designing all solutions down to the very lowest cost, and then expecting them to work.

Outsourcing support staff to India, but with call queues still rising - how long does the saying 'you get what you pay for' need to sink in to managments brains..

Figure out that the bottom line isn't allways the most important thing in the world ( unless your bonus is based on it of course!)

Zero in flight, or in role promotion prospects - in twelve years here I have known of one person be promoted to the next level up, but thats more due to no defined job structures than anything else.

A large number of staff simply waiting for sharesave to mature in Aug 2014, and so zero interest in current role.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize that our competitors do have products that they can sell in our market place. RA taking customers away from us is a prime example. You have been very complacent.

Think seriously about the current outsourcing solution - increased call queues and customer unhappiness do not make good bed fellows.

How it is now

Senior Planning Manager (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsJob security, it's harder to get fired than hired. Ability to move about the business as it's so large.

ConsPerformance management, the HR team and senior team just can't get this right, the company (TSO) led by Clive Selly, struggles to make decisions, and doesn't stick to its plans. The 3rd tier management are square pegs in round holes, techie managers in leadership positions and vice versa. This has come about due to perpetual reorganisations, most not needed and when three are synergies they're ignored.

My biggest issue is the "EGO" culture in the middle and senior management team, they are not working as a team for BT group, they're just making themselves look less bad than their peers, which gives a false sense of success. You guys know who you are and you should be ashamed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork as a team, make a decision and stick to it, enable proper development through the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BTExpedite, a terrible place to work nowadays.

Technology Consultant (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsNew offices.
    Nothing else really

ConsNew offices in Sandwell have hade many cars stolen from the local car parks, people being mugged for their laptops... Not a nice area at all
    Senior management appear intent on outsourcing all roles to India, improving margins and retaining their bonuses with no concern for staff morale or customer satisfaction.
    Zero comms from line management.
    Losing customers rapidly.
    No written job description means zero promotional prospects.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing everything to India is not the answer to every problem, communicate with the staff, hold team meetings and actually ask what's wrong.

BT

Manager (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsThere is a reasonable amount of opportunity for you to get on if you want to. BT people can work miracles if they have to. You can trust the people you work with and they do support you if/when you need it.

ConsSome parts of it are a bit disorganised. You have to make a lot if it up as you go along

Advice to Senior Managementyour people are frustrated. Listen to them.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!