www.btplc.com

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Gavin Patterson

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 52 reviews)

• Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive company, but can be too large at times.

Former Employee - First Line Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - First Line Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, diversity, good pay and people. Culturally diverse, and recognised brand which puts you in good stead for future external opportunities. Roles can be diverse and challenging, and your ceiling is only imposed by your personal aspirations.

Cons

Some long-standing staff resistant to change and new ideas. Secondment culture means you can take on additional tasks without any guaranteed rewards. Also, if you work for an area of the business that isn't doing so great, it can taint your future through association with potential failure.

Look to

How it is now

Current Employee - Senior Planning Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Planning Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job security, it's harder to get fired than hired. Ability to move about the business as it's so large.

Cons

Performance management, the HR team and senior team just can't get this right, the company (TSO) led by Clive Selly, struggles to make decisions, and doesn't stick to its plans. The 3rd tier management are square pegs in round holes, techie managers in leadership positions and vice versa. This has come about due to perpetual reorganisations, most not needed and when three are synergies they're ignored.

My biggest issue is the "EGO" culture in the middle and senior management team, they are not working as a team for BT group, they're just making themselves look less bad than their peers, which gives a false sense of success. You guys know who you are and you should be ashamed.

Work as a team, make a decision and stick to it, enable proper development through the company.

BTE - worrying times ahead..

Current Employee - Technical Support in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I would say the new offices, but considering where they are - I won't!

Cons

An over confident management team, allowing major competitors access to our biggest customers - who are now migrating to those competitor products.

Building and designing all solutions down to the very lowest cost, and then expecting them to work.

Outsourcing support staff to India, but with call queues still rising - how long does the saying 'you get what you pay for' need to sink in to managments brains..

Figure out that the bottom line isn't allways the most important thing in the world ( unless your bonus is based on it of course!)

Zero in flight, or in role promotion prospects - in twelve years here I have known of one person be promoted to the next level up, but thats more due to no defined job structures than anything else.

A large number of staff simply waiting for sharesave to mature in Aug 2014, and so zero interest in current role.

Wake up and realize that our competitors do have products that they can sell in our market place. RA taking customers away from us is a prime example. You have been very complacent.

Think seriously about the current outsourcing solution - increased call queues and customer unhappiness do not make good bed fellows.

BTExpedite, a terrible place to work nowadays.

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

New offices.
    Nothing else really

Cons

New offices in Sandwell have hade many cars stolen from the local car parks, people being mugged for their laptops... Not a nice area at all
    Senior management appear intent on outsourcing all roles to India, improving margins and retaining their bonuses with no concern for staff morale or customer satisfaction.
    Zero comms from line management.
    Losing customers rapidly.
    No written job description means zero promotional prospects.

Outsourcing everything to India is not the answer to every problem, communicate with the staff, hold team meetings and actually ask what's wrong.

British Telecom ( The Phone book )

Former Employee - Senior Sales Professional in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Professional in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at BT

Pros

Working for BT as a senior sales professional involved a lot of dedication and hard work the company paid well and offered advancement my last manager turned out to be the best over a 5 year period I saw a lot of staff and management come and go.

Visiting the clients and not being micro managed was the best part of the job hitting the targets made it all worthwhile however getting yout bonus paid out was another thing all together!!

Im glad I worked with BT it is a great thing to have on your resume ...........

If you want to work for a big corporate machine with full benefits then this is your oppertunity !

Cons

In the sales division getting your bonus/commission paid out on time or ever is the downside to working for BT if's and butts are candy nutts ...........

I have seen a lot of the senior management come and go, corporate business is fast paced, sometimes when change is for validation of your salary its all about YOU, YOU, YOU !

BT

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at BT

Pros

There is a reasonable amount of opportunity for you to get on if you want to. BT people can work miracles if they have to. You can trust the people you work with and they do support you if/when you need it.

Cons

Some parts of it are a bit disorganised. You have to make a lot if it up as you go along

your people are frustrated. Listen to them.

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office