BT

www.btplc.com

BT Reviews in City of London, England

2.7

Gavin Patterson

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 52 reviews)

• Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Rewarding and all-round good employer

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in City of London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in City of London, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tries to do the best for it's people and ensure people are in the right roles through appropriate learning and development. Very good employee communications. Starting to be more adventurous in it's concept to marketing - and getting into TV.

Cons

Difficult to change 'job for life' culture amongst older employees and doesn't fulfill promise or exploit potential of it's graduates as well as it could. It's like five or six companies under one banner, each with their own culture and approach.

Needs to acccelerate reduction in employees, perhaps offering more packages. Too many people in limbo (doing the work of two or three people) who are suffering stress due to workload or uncertainty.

Frustrating to be caught in a company focussed on cost saving rather than balancing with innovation

Former Employee - Head of Commercial Propositions in City of London, England (UK)

I worked at BT

Pros

Work location flexibility, genuine hard working staff company benefit scheme, well known company

Cons

Disingenuous senior management, management bonussed on cutting heads, poor development opportunities, lack of senior management empathy with staff, constant reorganisation to support staff cuts

Friendly company with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in City of London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT

Pros

The culture is very friendly with focus on work life balance, working from home or flexi time is very common unless you are in operations role
    The company is very diverse in terms of job roles and projects
    Communication from senior management is often frequent and through many channels

Cons

Although generally good people, tends to be issues around professionalism and people not at the too of the skill set
    There is a bit of a union mindset and majority of employees have worked at BT for 20+ years so there is a certain amount of tribalism in company

There is a lot of focus around quality of delivery which is great, but we often have head count challenges that make hitting these standards difficult

Great place to work if you want to get out of consulting

Current Employee - Business Improvement Consultant in City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT

Pros

Very supportive environment
    Low stress
    Excellent maternity / annual leave policies
    Can work from home

Cons

Inertia in getting anything done
    Lack of drive of many employees - feeling of entitlement
    Lack of rigour and quality in work completed

Focus on exiting low-performing people from the business
    Pick a small number of strategic projects and execute them brilliantly - don't try everything and hope something will work!

Good but can do better!

Current Employee - IP Voice Support/Trading Systems in City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT

Pros

It's a big company so there are endless opportunities to move around into different lines of business and to go for promotions, which from personel experience I can say are very fair for everyone. I started in BT back in 2006 and made sure I showed promise and a willingness to be keen. Within 6 months I moved onto a more technical team and within another 2 months I was given the chance to learn the ropes of being a manger. Which I did and I was acting manager for my group while our boss was on holiday.
    Another good reason is that you feel like your doing something worth while. It's a good feeling when you help people and they are greatful for it. Also its like a family here. Everyone says hello to everyone and all BT people are more than willing to help, even if it means it puts them out and then they have to work harder to catch up!
    And then there are all the benefits/discounts from other companies that BT people get.
    So all in all, pretty much the best firm I've worked for!

Cons

It can be too big and you feel like a number, so not much reconigntion in the form of bonus/money.

They do ring-fence themselves off from the rest of the BT population somehow. I don't think it's on purpose, its just a really big company and I imagine that it's hard to listen. One thing I would say is give more power back to the level 1 managers as they are the ones who deal with the engineers who keep the maintance contracts going.

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office