BT Conferencing Reviews

Howard Dickel

Mixed bag of Crazy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

I have been working at BT Conferencing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work family balance. Many good people.

Cons

S-L-O-W moving bureaucratic, process oriented (paper pushing) culture. Weak management in a pass the buck, CYA work environment. Senior management is clueless.

Advice to Management

Get out of your silo and be a leader. Listen to your employees.

Easy Job, Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

The work is easy, no previous experience needed; some of the other employees are very nice people to work with.

Cons

Extremely high turnover, they keep hiring and firing people non-stop. At the rate they are going soon they will have an office full of newbies and nobody to mentor them. In the last 6 months I have seen 4 new batches of hires in training and at least 15 to 20 veterans fired. All new employees come through Manpower, they all get trained for the same skill but not everyone comes in with the same pay. There is a difference of up to $4/h between employees with the same skill set (speaking the same foreign language i.e) and when this is brought up they deny it and prompt you to not discuss pay with coworkers even though we are protected by law to do so. Aside from pay differences, it takes a minimum of 3 to 4 years to be converted from temp employees to full time BT employees. This comes with an entire set of cons itself: No paid time off, no vacations, no benefits, work the holidays (which BT employees have off), if it snows you are expected to come in regardless of the fact that they city declares state of emergency, they instead place some employees in the nice hotel across the street (manager's favorites) and some others in the cheap motel (the not so favorite outspoken people) "for our safety" of course, not to ensure that we come in the next day... Work global hours, it's a 24h call center, but no pay increase if you work nights or holidays. Every employee is supposed to do every aspect of the job. They train you to do everything and insist you take more and more responsibility with the only added bonus of having a higher chance of getting fired if you make a mistake. You do not specialize in a particular job, you have to take inbound calls, lead conferences, become an expert in web conferences, work on client relations, do ancillary work, reservations, troubleshoot the bridges, and deal with incompetent management; All while feeling that a knife is hanging over your head, anything can cost you an impairment and your job along with it. This office works on a clique hierarchy, if you are part of it you can get away with anything; if you are not, you are constantly targeted. However that's not the worst part, gossip isn't only common but it is encouraged, there is always someone whispering some lie (or not) into somebody else's ear. You have to be very careful what you say in front of these people, do not trust anybody, and don't volunteer personal information; it will spread like gunpowder and it will be used against you. Don't expect to be recognized for a job well done, but expect to be reminded of everything you didn't do as expected. You wont hear from your manager until there's an issue. And one more thing, the equipment we work with is old and malfunctioning. The tech department in our office is constantly running to try and rescue our very old computers. Every time that something stops working or it goes too slow or causes an issue the main response is "Welcome to BT". It's the favorite catchphrase for the veterans in the office.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate the people that work hard and stop favoring your beloved friends.

BT Conferencing / Chesapeake, VA

Current Employee - Just Part of the Team in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Just Part of the Team in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at BT Conferencing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great industry to work in. It is very different than standard call center operations.

Cons

Uses many contract employees from Manpower. These people have little or no chance of getting on full-time with BT. This is after many years of service at a "temporary employee". The few that did get converted saw little or no increase in their pay. Regardless of your performance you will always get rated as Average. Pay increases are few and tiny. Expect to become an expert on service delivery but without any increase in pay. Most of this company's conferencing revenue is from America, and yet they continue to migrate American jobs to Hungary. BT benefits, especially medical, are terrible. This company is a British company headquartered in the UK.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Americans do not like to be treated this way.

Product Manager

I worked at BT Conferencing full-time

Pros

When company was smaller it had a great culture

Cons

Once UK took over US operations things started to change for the worse

Work hard, play hard, get kicked to the curb when it's cost-saving time

Former Employee - Chief Executive Officer We're All Chief Executive Officer Here

I worked at BT Conferencing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and work from home policies. Attractive people with strong personalities who know how to duck and cover will go far. A lot of good people who will want to hire you back when they're desperate.

Cons

No training so self-direction is a must. Expect to work global hours without compensation to match so be happy you can work from home.

Advice to Management

It's painfully clear no one in the executive suite has the faintest idea what they're doing. Keep paying those consultants for advice your team isn't qualified to implement. Or take a serious critical look at who does the bulk of the work your business needs and invest in the training, compensation and management of those action takers instead. Maybe you'd actually disrupt something instead of floundering in a formerly lucrative area.

7. Conferencing Coordinator

Former Employee - Conferencing Coordinator in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Conferencing Coordinator in Quincy, MA

I worked at BT Conferencing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do offer various schedules, and they have plenty of overtime during the busy seasons.

Cons

Low wages, and not much of a chance for advancement. Also, they are downsizing all of the time, and sending jobs overseas.

In one word - HORRENDOUS

Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Global Account Manager in Quincy, MA

I worked at BT Conferencing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I used to be BTC's biggest cheerleader. Now I have nothing good to say about this company, which pains me given I spent more than 10 years here in various positions here. The only good thing about this place are some of the people who've managed to stay and some flexibility to work from home if you are in a sales or service manager position. I am not sure why anyone stays - bad economy? fear? This place is beyond help; the entire sales team (other than inside sales) has left for greener pastures.

Cons

Once a great environment, BTC is now a horrible, life-sucking place to be. There are way too many middle managers who do nothing all day but have meetings about meetings. Senior management feeds the employees the same old BS about change but nothing ever changes except more cuts - people and pay. Senior management can't make decisions to save their lives - they year I left my team alone handed them $8 million in deals they were too scared to sign. Due to years of "cutting the fat" and running too lean, everyone is overworked and burned out. Pay is pretty subpar unless you are being hired from the outside. I had 3 promotions in 5 years with NO INCREASE in salary. There has been a freeze on salary increases for about 7 years. No real merit or cost of living increases to speak of... I think I got 2% one year. Health benefits are OK though the last plan they switched to was terrible. The do have a 401K match which is nice, as is the ESPP, but it is not enough to make up for the horrible work environment. It is sad because for the first 5 years, BTC was a great place to work. People cared about the quality of their work, people pitched in wherever they could - now they are stretched too thin and too stressed out from years of bad decisions, being overworked and underpaid. Senior management is a revolving door - promotions only given to the UK staff. There were 6 GMs and CEOs in the last 3 years I was there. Now this place is so poorly managed, it is almost laughable. As a sales person, I never got my comp plan until Q1 was practically over, nor did I know how I was being paid until I received a check because BTC changed the comp plan on a dime. In one year I had 3 different compensation plans. My last year, I didn't have a plan at all for 6 months. Between multiple layoffs and people leaving on their own, the company is a skeleton crew that can't even keep up with core competencies let alone keep up with advancements of their competition. I have no idea how they still have any customers left.

Advice to Management

It's too late to save this company, you've already lost all your entire field sales team, any technical talent, and all-star players. My only advice now is for you to figure out an exit strategy that is respectful to the remaining employees. Do it now before there is nothing left for their severance packages. At the very least they deserve a decent exit check.

Meah

Former Employee - Team Leader in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at BT Conferencing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty easy job if you are moderately attentive. Lots of conference allow you some down time.

Cons

It's really hard to advance. Very stuck in their ways when it comes to management personnel.

Absolutely toxic place to work - I hate it

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at BT Conferencing full-time

Pros

Endless amount of work Long hours Lack of defined roles Total responsibility for all tasks Terrible and dishonest pay plans Vacation time where you work the bulk of your time off Stress related medical leave No accountability or confidence in organization or management revolving door

Cons

Hmmm.... If those are the Pros.... Wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

Advice to Management

Start with a lesson in integrity Follow through on your commitments to employees Promote from within vs the UK

Extremely disorganized and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at BT Conferencing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that come to mind

Cons

Poor management, unethical, dishonest, difficult to do business with

Advice to Management

Tear it down and start over

RSS Feed </> Embed