BT Global Services

BT Global Services Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

BT Global Services CEO Luiz Alvarez

Luiz Alvarez

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedule so very good work/life balance structure in place"
    in 23 reviews
  • "You could work from home or even from the nearest telephone exchange"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management asks for feedback and then does not listen to the comments"
    in 9 reviews
  • "We spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel over and over"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Product & Service Set, Highly Silo-ed leading to Frictional Internal Work

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at BT Global Services full-time for more than a year

ProsBest of Breed in Global Telco space from product and Service Breadth, Currently attracts a lot of the better people in Telco space

ConsMany narrow specialisation silos, difficult to manage, leads to high friction factor between individuals and teams

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the Silos ... let people do more than just "sharpen one pencil"

Growing company with many self inflict damage that prevent growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT Global Services

ProsDiversity of people. Good environment.

ConsTough if not having a strong character.

Excellent

Oracle Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT Global Services as a contractor for more than a year

Prosflexibility in work and working environment

Constoo many process which takes long time

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SOC India works very unsatisfactory

Analyst (Current Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsBrand Name of British Telecommunication Plc

ConsUncountable Cons.

SOC Manager always take decision under influence of the most senior employee, in which one is complete black listed to work in his last 2-3 employer because of being extremely bad professional and eccentric and still is. Real talent of industry doesn't like to join BT after hearing his name. This most senior employee also hold the record of rejecting most of the great talent because of personal issues. And funny part is that He has issues with almost everyone in NCR. He made a virtual persona around that, he knows everything technical, fact should be asked from real technical people, who said, "BT SOC manager doesn't know anything about security , hence he doesn't know anything about this guy. "

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk question to SOC Manager for his out of way attitude of promotions and Giving a whole Interview system in one hand of extremely corrupt person.

Holistic solutions

Associate Security Consultant (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary stagnates very quickly. Little or no staff development.

ConsGlobal collaboration and network provided. Technical expertise all over the world in various fields that can be tapped on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the needs of the working level.

Worse experience in my 15 years of career. Never seen a company so messy in my life.

Systems Consultant (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are someone from a foreign country and wants to keep working to make money, this is the place for you.

ConsNo AWS for some hires...double standard. No exit interview process. Simply ask me to fill up an online survey form. I think no body bothers. Poor team environment, no proper framework in place. No focus on skillset and all over the place. Pick and place
on resource management on whatever that works in the short term. No long term plans for permanent operational
resolution. "See how it goes" management style from top ESS management. High and and unrealistic expectations. Even useless people can become people manager as long as someone they know likes them. Almost my whole team resigned, 5 in 2 months and more to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's beyond any advice. There are just too many things about this company. It is all over the place. If you want to grow further, I think your top people needs to be replaced.

Working with BT

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBiggest advantage is real flexibility with location. You could work from home or even from the nearest telephone exchange. You get a free landline and good benefits.

ConsDecisions are taken quite slowly

An okay place to work - - - if you like admin, reports and no praise!!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than a year

ProsMain pro's - home based working, local offices across the country for hot-desking, great product specialists, brand name gets you through doors, training, showcases are some of the best in the industry, plethora of resource available to work on opportunities.

ConsReally clunky internal processes, no salesmanship, managers rarely give praise, long hours, basic wage is not great nor is OTE, product costs are highest in industry, slow to engage due to ridiculous internal processes which are massively frustrating, (£5k sign off of consultancy work took 6 weeks - following consultancy, business would of won £140k),
It really seems that BT GS are overly cautious and are not willing to take the slightest of risk.

There are a lot of reports required for reports sake - sales at BT is not sales first and foremost, it is an admin job with an element of sales. As a time split, 70% of your time will be writing reports and 30% of your time will be with clients.....if you're lucky!

Career path is limited and if your face doesn't fit, expect the worst. Constant changes in management. No feel of stability. It's a real old boys club...if you're known, you can move around the business as and when you please...

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you employ sales people, let them go out and sell. Don't weigh them down with admin. Praise them for a job well done. Have sales meetings once a quarter at the showcase in London, give them a prize for achieving like a bottle of champagne or meal out. These are the guys on the front line, they expect praise, that's how sales organisations work....change from an admin/accountancy firm into a sales organsiation....it'd make BT a great place to work........PRAISE PEOPLE and OUT THE BULLIES!
I hope Mr Alvarez can make the changes that others can't. I know he's a good guy but there but he's go t a real fight on his hands.

Various positions, partially due to reorganisations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT Global Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood learning, can stay at the company for a long while if you want and change positions. It tends to be a company where people stay 15, 20 or 30+ years.

ConsSalary increases are minimal, reviews are very frequent and bonus reviews are decided based upon a forced distribution - so it is not what you achieve but how you are in the distribution. They usually round down.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest about objectives.

Contract Work

Senior Service Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT Global Services for more than 3 years

ProsSome great people with the opportunity to work in a broad spectrum of sectors and roles. As a contractor on a personal level you are accepted.

ConsAs a contractor the constant headcount challenges make your position uncertain and there is a tendency to feel like a second class citizen in the BIG BT Machine's Eyes.

Budget constraints make decision making and management ability to manage difficult.

Advice to Senior Managementallow managers to manage within the contstraints of agreed budgets and business cases without the extra headcount challenges and need to employ BTTC people

Worked for BT Global Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT Global Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BT Global Services CEO Luiz Alvarez. All 137 reviews posted anonymously by BT Global Services employees.