www.btglobalservices.com

BT Global Services Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

BT Global Services CEO Luiz Alvarez

Luiz Alvarez

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule so very good work/life balance structure in place (in 28 reviews)

• You could work from home or even from the nearest telephone exchange (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management asks for feedback and then does not listen to the comments (in 9 reviews)

• We spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel over and over (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Global Sales (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBenefits on par with industry standards
     - that's about it

ConsLeadership in the "go to market" strategy is horrible.
    Leadership in resolving support and delivery issues.... horrible
    Top leadership igonor ongoing issues, but state things are moving in the right direction

Advice to Senior Management1: Pull your head out of the sand and upgrade the systems and processes.
    2: Fix your go to market strategy and bring your groups together. MNC Vs Volume accounts.... renaming groups without fixing the issues does not accomplish anything.
    3: Stop being cheap on sales compensation... people working together for a common goal will create better growth!

Not bad, not great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsComprehensive benefits package, good knowledge sharing

ConsLess than industry vacation, lots of travel, to much company 'ra-ra'

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a model and stick with it rather than changing one every couple months

Initial impression

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDecentralized organization/management - If you've got a good manager, life can be great.

ConsDecentralized organization/management; BT is still very "British", if you are at one of the remote offices (which are almost everywhere) some of the centralized, corporate pronouncements don't apply to you. That leads you to wonder which mandatory things are really mandatory and which ones aren't.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice at this point, I'm to new at the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr Sales Engineer officially as Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAbove average benefits, especially vacation, being a UK HQ'd company. Great people, generally everyone willing to help. Compared to our managed network services (MNS) competitors, we have better consulting capabilities and the core BT MPLS VPN product is very reliable and has good global reach.

ConsDue job cuts during this recession, many people are overworked and too busy. In my experience this is especially prevalent in the Product Management groups that interface with the sales and SEs. BT MPLS VPN core product is considerably more expensive than our competitors...we lose a lot of deals based on price. BT can be inflexible at times and this is another reason we lose RFPs. The BT Professional Services (frmly INS) management took over completely for BT Americas and they laid off most of the quality sales talent that were heritage BT. BT Americas, now known as US & Canada (US&C) is still trying to recover from the loss of sales talent. The INS sales guys only know how to sell consulting hours and not managed network services. I also see the managing consultants often try to push PS work at the expense of managed network services deals, even if it's not the right thing for BT Global Services as a whole and the customer. The regional P&L model with Regional Operations VPs creates a "regional silo" mentality. This means product and consulting resources in another geography are discouraged from being utilized due to short-sighted internal compensation model.

Advice to Senior ManagementUS&C go-to-market ability is hampered by the regional P&L model. It may have worked for INS in the past but it's too restrictive for BT and is antagonistic to the "One BT" MNC model.

Great Place to work

Principal Consultant (Former Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThere was a lot of collaboration, mentorship, and support from peers and coworkers.

ConsThere wasn't any employee tuition reimbursement program or even any support for employees wishing to pursue an advanced career. That's why I left them. Vacation time was also 2-3 weeks only

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer support to people who wish to pursue advanced careers. That could mean, assign them to local projects that don't require flying. Work out deals with consultants to retain them.

One of the best firms to work for...

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay is OK, but not the Best
    Lots of Training Opportunities
    Smart Talanted People
    Work from Home. Excellent work life balance

ConsPay is below rest of industry
    Marketing is lacking in US
    Poor integration of teaming

Advice to Senior ManagementAgreen on: "Need to revamp pay structure or they will continue losing top talent to competitors"

BT - Where Good Enough is just beyond reach

Senior Program Director (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBT Global Services is a very global company with many opportunities to travel and work abroad if you are single and looking for this kind of lifestyle.

ConsNo published or monitored career progression. No performance reviews from the people you actually work for. Just like consulting. Conference calls around the clock

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement career progression tracks. Hold people accountable for the quality of their work. Ensure that top performers are rewarded sufficiently.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsGood work, life balance in the Americas SSC (Finance).

ConsNot in US corp headquarters (El Segundo, CA), nor UK Global Corporate headquarters, so difficult to network internally, limiting upward mobility opportunities as the company tends to promote from a UK centric perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay grades need to rise if you expect to maintain talent in the DC area, they are much too low!

Time to rebuild

Business Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people -this company now exists soley on the goodwill of its staff - careful!

ConsLack of clear direction or understandning of what should, could or can be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to the "legacy BT" staff (while they're still here)

BT Global Services is a great company, but remember to focus on YOUR success as well.

Business Development (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsWe have above average benefits, decent salaries (no one will get rich here) and an overall good work/life balance. I enjoy working at BT a lot. In addition, BT has a number of really talented people, great capabilities, and enjoys having a very good reputation and brand.

ConsThere is a lot of bureaucracy at BT and lots of uncommunicative silos. We spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bolder! Crush the silos, drive more synergy, and celebrate success more!

Worked for BT Global Services? Contribute to the Community!