BT Global Services

Updated November 6, 2014
2.9

BT Global Services CEO Luiz Alvarez
Luiz Alvarez

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule so very good work/life balance structure in place (in 34 reviews)

• You could work from home or even from the nearest telephone exchange (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management asks for feedback and then does not listen to the comments (in 10 reviews)

• We spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel over and over (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Moving in a different direction...

I worked at BT Global Services full-time

Pros

Great people, decent communication, interesting clients and work

Cons

Training lacks, too much red tape, constant shuffling of management, lack of direction in services group.

"Was a great place to work until upper mismanagement destroyed the good work we were doing."

I worked at BT Global Services full-time

Pros

The people below management level tend to be great people, friendly, and willing to help. (Until they get laid off in the constant workforce reductions designed to meet upper managements short term quotas)

Cons

Management only cares about short-term metrics, this is pressed on them from upper management. No one above your immediate supervisor will know or care about what you or your department does and are likely to constantly make poor decisions based on circumstantial evidence, planning documents from years back, or misunderstood opinions. Bonus structure designed to offer hope to lower levels but pay out to only upper management.

Hire upper management talent from somewhere other than bean counters. Learn to care about the customer experience and the morale of the non-management employees, they are backbone of the company.

Could be great, but highly mediocre

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some great people, exposure to great customers and vendors

Cons

So bureaucratic that nothing but mediocrity and underachievement results

Nothing can really be done

Very interesting portfolio and customers

I have been working at BT Global Services

Pros

Big company with a lot of resources to learn and to get out of difficult situations. Many peoducts and solutiona to go to market.

Cons

Burocratical, and not focused on sales, too many stoppers when a sale needs to be done. In Latam it is difficult to sell the most interest solutions

Align all of the areas towards selling more and retaining cuatomers

Revolving Door Management

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

BT has a strong mix of products and services with a good global footprint which resonates well with customers. As a large company, employees are also offered a lot of benefits and programs that aren't always available in smaller companies.

Cons

Very UK-centric; executive leadership is constantly changing which means strategy is constantly changing- this makes for a lot of turnover and unrest; constant cost cutting initiatives mean the benefits are chipped away at every year, giving less and less to employees; cost cutting also means people are expected to do more with less budget and less people which means work/life balance is being eroded; very poor communication from middle management

Middle management is telling you what you want to hear about employee satisfaction because they are afraid to give you real insight into how unhappy people are

Good opportunities to develop professionally, lack to strategic vision in sales teams

Former Employee - Business Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at BT Global Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities abound to develop professionally, team structure offers a good platform to exchange ideas and network. Culture supports emphasis on work life balance. Telecommuting is a viable option in many positions. Encountered and met some amazing visionary colleagues.

Cons

Strategic plans lacking in both depth and execution. Teams isolated from each other and no effective lines of communication to bridge account gaps. Lower echelon of employees left to fend for themselves in times of crisis. Lack of accountability for serious failures in sales account transition and management. Structure often inhibits action and becomes a very reactionary workflow after a while. No opportunities to transfer within company (HR policy based) after being laid off.

Rely on your brain trust rather than lay them off if the numbers are not being met. Merit raises are shallow, Having been exposed to financials, it is clear to me that upper management save themselves and sacrifice the true workers to save face with customers.

Lack of employee value

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at BT Global Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Originally I was part of INS before the full buy out by BT. INS was a great place to work with fantastic, energetic and smart folks. BT then rolled them up into the company fully and the entire work force changed its tone. Layoffs after layoffs and then came the reduction in staff to deliver clients a better cost. If your running a professional services group you would have to take a long look at the business model BT is now going to be running. Cheaper labor does not equal quality work. Its sad to see what they have done to a great successful business.

Cons

Lack of contact with management. Lack of partner training relationships even though they have multiple partner relationships. No job security. Went from regional travel to global travel. Horrible HR practices.

Take stock in your good employees. Make sure they are compensated, have a solid career track and job security. Find valid partner training and make sure you find the relationships with those companies to keep your employees in the loop of new offerings and technology. Ensure their relationships with the clients are improving and make sure you take the time to include yourself in client meetings with your employees to drive the relationship to next levels.

corruption

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time

Pros

no leadership no support

Cons

no training no support too many family members working within firm even though it is suppose to be banned

none too many theives already

Lost in translation from the Queen's English

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in BT Advise US&C. The people there are phenomenal, and the projects are truly opportunities in global IT that you wouldn't find anywhere else. I continue to stay because my projects keep me highly engaged and interested in my work.
    You can work at home when not on an on-premises assignment. A good number of projects allow this flexibility. Because you are typically working with global customers, it doesn't necessarily make sense to have you on-premises all the time.
    The in-role promotion process is clearly spelled out, though perhaps a bit difficult to attain at higher levels.

Cons

BT Advise US&C was the result of an acquisition. It's fair to say that BT has destroyed everything good about that former company - but the management team in Advise is almost 100% from that acquisition.

Management doesn't clearly articulate what the plans are, and how the consulting practices are formulated.

The company is obsessed with current-quarter financials, with little or no view of the future. There is no such thing as "investment" in BT Advise.

Certain consulting practices have been decimated by layoffs, most recently June 2014. If you are thinking of joining BT Advise, make sure you aren't going to be a "lone wolf", which will make you the only consultant in the US & Canada doing what you do.

Want a promotion to a new job? There are very little job opportunities in Advise US&C. You will have to move to another BT Global Services business unit if you want bigger and better.

Professional Development (training) is on your own dime. Worse, if you need to pick up a new skill set for a project, you will do so on the customer's time.

Your laptop (called the BT WebTop) is a fixed global image of Windows 7 that is unbelievably locked down and featureless. You have very little flexibility or options for additional software. It is such an embarrassment to an IT professional that I refuse to let my clients see it. This is the first job I have had to go buy a personal laptop just so I can do my job. Compound that with an internal BYOD policy of "we have implemented the Good client for email on mobile phones" (go read any review of that product...) and you basically have few choices to do your job on anything but a real Windows laptop. Management is absolutely tone-deaf on this issue.

The company professes to have world-class unified communications services and products (and they are stellar), but its internal implementation of Lync is hopelessly crippled. It is nothing short of embarrassing to be on a Lync project. They have been promising for three years to fix this, but nothing so far.

Stop pontificating about how wonderful your dinner with a certain client in Singapore (or name another far-off irrelevant country) was.
    We need clear direction about what our Practice should be focused on.
    Give us a real BYOD policy.

Nice Company but out of reach

I worked at BT Global Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work with, nice benefits

Cons

Mismanaged an account that leads to loosing money

BT Global Services Photos