BT Global Services

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014

BT Global Services CEO Luiz Alvarez
Luiz Alvarez

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule so very good work/life balance structure in place (in 28 reviews)

• You could work from home or even from the nearest telephone exchange (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management asks for feedback and then does not listen to the comments (in 9 reviews)

• We spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel over and over (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lost in translation from the Queen's English

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work in BT Advise US&C. The people there are phenomenal, and the projects are truly opportunities in global IT that you wouldn't find anywhere else. I continue to stay because my projects keep me highly engaged and interested in my work.
    You can work at home when not on an on-premises assignment. A good number of projects allow this flexibility. Because you are typically working with global customers, it doesn't necessarily make sense to have you on-premises all the time.
    The in-role promotion process is clearly spelled out, though perhaps a bit difficult to attain at higher levels.

Cons

BT Advise US&C was the result of an acquisition. It's fair to say that BT has destroyed everything good about that former company - but the management team in Advise is almost 100% from that acquisition.

Management doesn't clearly articulate what the plans are, and how the consulting practices are formulated.

The company is obsessed with current-quarter financials, with little or no view of the future. There is no such thing as "investment" in BT Advise.

Certain consulting practices have been decimated by layoffs, most recently June 2014. If you are thinking of joining BT Advise, make sure you aren't going to be a "lone wolf", which will make you the only consultant in the US & Canada doing what you do.

Want a promotion to a new job? There are very little job opportunities in Advise US&C. You will have to move to another BT Global Services business unit if you want bigger and better.

Professional Development (training) is on your own dime. Worse, if you need to pick up a new skill set for a project, you will do so on the customer's time.

Your laptop (called the BT WebTop) is a fixed global image of Windows 7 that is unbelievably locked down and featureless. You have very little flexibility or options for additional software. It is such an embarrassment to an IT professional that I refuse to let my clients see it. This is the first job I have had to go buy a personal laptop just so I can do my job. Compound that with an internal BYOD policy of "we have implemented the Good client for email on mobile phones" (go read any review of that product...) and you basically have few choices to do your job on anything but a real Windows laptop. Management is absolutely tone-deaf on this issue.

The company professes to have world-class unified communications services and products (and they are stellar), but its internal implementation of Lync is hopelessly crippled. It is nothing short of embarrassing to be on a Lync project. They have been promising for three years to fix this, but nothing so far.

Stop pontificating about how wonderful your dinner with a certain client in Singapore (or name another far-off irrelevant country) was.
    We need clear direction about what our Practice should be focused on.
    Give us a real BYOD policy.

Lack of employee value

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at BT Global Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Originally I was part of INS before the full buy out by BT. INS was a great place to work with fantastic, energetic and smart folks. BT then rolled them up into the company fully and the entire work force changed its tone. Layoffs after layoffs and then came the reduction in staff to deliver clients a better cost. If your running a professional services group you would have to take a long look at the business model BT is now going to be running. Cheaper labor does not equal quality work. Its sad to see what they have done to a great successful business.

Cons

Lack of contact with management. Lack of partner training relationships even though they have multiple partner relationships. No job security. Went from regional travel to global travel. Horrible HR practices.

Take stock in your good employees. Make sure they are compensated, have a solid career track and job security. Find valid partner training and make sure you find the relationships with those companies to keep your employees in the loop of new offerings and technology. Ensure their relationships with the clients are improving and make sure you take the time to include yourself in client meetings with your employees to drive the relationship to next levels.

Nice Company but out of reach

I worked at BT Global Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to work with, nice benefits

Cons

Mismanaged an account that leads to loosing money

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process driven large Telecom company

I worked at BT Global Services full-time

Pros

Good Pay, intelligent co-workers; good reputation in the industry; good teaming for the most part; great benefits and time off.

Cons

On-boarding process; some services areas are not flexible enough for many customers. Too many conference calls; quotas are unreasonable based on what the company wants and not on what customers are willing to buy.

Don't micro-manage experienced employees.

BT Global Services started out as a great place to work but then I couldn't get away fast enough

I worked at BT Global Services

Pros

Coworkers like family. Great benefits. Global company with international travel perks.

Cons

Management make stupid decisions at top level without knowledge of how things really are.

Get more involved in day to day activities

Good work flexibility

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible working, smart and dedicated people.

Cons

Little to no development, training or career path. People stay at the same jobs on the same accounts for years and years. Very minimal salary increases despite good performance reviews.

There should be employee development and training. There seems to be no investment in employees at all.

Contract delivery for international customers.

Current Employee - Senior Program Director  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Program Director in Irving, TX

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A positive environment with large complex contracts to work. Benefits are solid and customary for the US. BT GS offerings are very strong internationally and provider employees with good international exposure without a frequent requirement for travel. Good technology partnerships provide solid educational opportunities for employees.

Cons

Limited contract leadership positions in the US due to account ownership primarily based in the UK. Some difficulty in rotating through contract positions. Weak performance management so many lackluster performs stay around and fill positions.

Improve performance management and ensure good job rotation of highest performers.

Great model, poor leadership at the top

I worked at BT Global Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent management and team drove this organization to the top of it's game for many years.

Cons

New national senior leadership tanked this gem inside of a year.

None needed, they've all been fired or left while they could.

OK but need improvement

I worked at BT Global Services

Pros

Competitive pay
    Good benefit
    Good learning environment

Cons

Lots of travel
    No growth potential

Pluses and Minuses

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BT Global Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home, good benefits, lots of challenging technologies to work with.

Cons

Very fast paced, managers (and everyone) are very busy so they have a hard time staying connected to the employees. Like any large company there is are excessive processes and layers of approval.

Worked for BT Global Services? Contribute to the Community!