BT

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.8

Gavin Patterson

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 52 reviews)

• Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship at BT

I have been working at BT

Pros

Good people, Great work life balance, great location for London, Good perks and pay

Cons

Org Culture is very hierarchical and process too slow and archaic. Career growth slow

Try forming a more flat and fast moving work culture.

Amazing experience if you can deliver there is no limit to your career

I have been working at BT

Pros

Deliver and see amazing outcomes

Cons

A bit of politics but still management is great as compared to any other atleast they listen and act

hat to put a title

I have been working at BT

Pros

large company, unexpectedly dynamic, cool team

Cons

large company, some ballast, bureaucracy and processes

Excellent employer - and working hard on continuous improvement

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great company that genuinely works hard to try to deliver what customers want, and delivers a product - telecoms and internet - that is in real demand.

- Sensible work-life balance: there's enough to keep you busy, but you're not expected to be a martyr to work.

- The company really tries to live its values.

Cons

- Flexible working isn't for everyone: many of us would prefer, rather than a 'virtual team', scattered across the UK, a real team, with an office and people you see and speak to every day, and with whom you can go for a drink after work. That said, such roles exist too, and therefore it is simply a question of applying, and being selected, for them.

- Inevitably, there must be cost savings. This is a consequence of being in a competitive industry in which other companies are vying for market share. This means that we need to evolve to tackle challenges. Sometimes the process of evolving makes people nervous, which causes tension - particularly in longer-serving, older workers who have seen it all before (or think they have...). I doubt this change aspect is any more so than any other major company though - and BT are arguably far better, as they don't make people redundant, they simply move them to a 'redeployment pool' from where they can apply for new jobs (which is a hangover of civil service/public sector days, but one which - regardless of its economic merits - makes for a far more humane employer).

I've been working for the company for 11 months, and I'm really impressed. The one thing I would definitely change is hiring policies: at present, hiring managers are artificially constrained to selecting new candidates from the redeployment pool within their own line of business (LoBs), then expanding the search to other LoBs, then advertising internally, then advertising externally. At each stage, managers can only progress to the next stage by rejecting all candidates. This prevents them from seeing (or advertising to) all possible candidates, and selecting the best. While commendable that the redeployment pool is prioritised, it does severely impact managers' autonomy, and the ability to select the best people for the job. Open competition is usually the best option, and I think that it would be here, too.

Great place to be

Former Employee - Jumper Engineer in Wirral, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Jumper Engineer in Wirral, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great to work as given work to do and then almost left alone to do it, no big brother watching all the time. Not stuck in one place get to travel over the local area meeting new and interesting members of the BT team.

Cons

As a contractor I just want to finish work and leave BT say must have a lunch break!!

BT is global multi vendor and multi technologies scopes and provide good solution for IT services

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It has multi vendor platform to work to gain more exposure in terms of technical aspects and management aspects

Cons

Lack in some region software solution.

Excellent company for long tem stay

I worked at BT

Pros

BT offers a great work life balance and enormous opportunities to work on big projects in a global environment. You get an opportunity to know about all the upcoming products and services in market

Cons

For some roles, No proper career path is defined so an individual has to look out for himself and apply internally for a new role

Delivery Manager

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at BT full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing processes, individuals and all around the moral is great

Cons

not many challenges coming from Level 3 Communications processes.

n/a

Review

I have been working at BT

Pros

Great Company in united Kingdom

Cons

People can continue learn stuff there, we can feel improve every day

A challenge but very fulfilling

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working that allows you to have a good work/life balance, a varied amoutn of career options that really put the choices in your hands. Great people in the company and a strong culture of helping each other

Cons

Geographically spread all over the country, don't get an opportunity to meet the team in some roles. Delay in promotions due to processes left over from the Post Office days

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office