BTS (Connecticut) Reviews

BTS (Connecticut) President & CEO Henrik Ekelund
Henrik Ekelund

director

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture that provides ample opportunity for self-motivated professionals. Engagements are high profile C-suite initiatives that allow consultants first hand interactions with senior level execs.
    Ability to drive impact at local office and national level. I had great access to our senior leaders and felt my opinion was very important to them.

Cons

Coaching of employees; this has improved but there is room for better employee development. You are asked to juggle a lot of priorities, which can be challenging at times. The job can require a lot of travel for extended periods of time.

Great experience

I worked at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BTS is a great place to work if you are new in your career and want to grow and develop and given opportunity. It's fast pace, but plenty of variety, career growth experiences, flexibility, and good benefits. Collaboration is key along with the ability to sell, design, develop and facilitate solutions.

Cons

Experienced hires don't quite fit the mold and have a more challenging time figuring out how and where to add value if not in the mainstream SABA practice.

5+ great years at BTS San Francisco post-MBA before leaving for an entrepreneurial opportunity

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and culture are outstanding. I commend Henrik and the leadership team for building a firm that really does feel like a special place to work.

The clients are awesome. In five years I was able to work at many leading high-tech, retail, professional services, and biotechnology firms.

The talent (and the market credibility you get from working here is) getting better. During my time there, BTS grew from an $80M firm with an spotty record of placing alums, just figuring out how to best leverage talent from top undergrads and top MBA programs... to a $130M firm that had undergrad alums do great work, then go to HBS, UCLA Anderson, MIT Sloan, and Michigan Ross... and one that had MBA's come, grow, contribute and be able to move into great internal leadership positions and external roles at companies like SF.com and Google.

The firm continues to evolve. Look, professional services is tough. All firms will struggle with the balance between revenue growth and "sexy", innovative work. Firms will always struggle to provide interesting work for young, ambitious consultants to get growth, variety, and ownership. Firms will always struggle with "rainmakers" who struggle to develop talent. But not all firms care as much as BTS does to experiment/evolve, grow its talent, and delight its clients.

You learn how to sell and drive revenues. Trust me, you'll appreciate and value this.

I highly recommend BTS as a place for talented people looking for an entrepreneurial role in a scrappy company with big aspirations.

Cons

The quality of coaching/mentoring/people development varies widely across the top leadership team. The firm must (in a transparent way) hold their leaders to the highest standard not just on revenue delivery, but also on culture and people development.

Find a way to financially reward those who contribute to the culture. The people who coach/mentor and develop others in their spare time are what makes the firm a special place.

Just left BTS (2014) - incredible experience for the past 3.5 years

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BTS is an incredibly exciting place to work, and actually a true meritocracy. Entering the company as a 22 year old that didn't know anything, I had tremendous mentors along the way to teach me everything I needed to know. There is a culture of challenging people to do great work, and providing coaching along the way. BTS has some great leaders and I honestly expect them to do great things. Lastly - the culture and people there are incredible! Everyone talks about freedom and responsibility, but BTS truly offers that. There is a culture of respect for people's lives, and the leadership embraces/lives the values.

Cons

For full disclosure - I did leave the organization, but only because I wanted a career change, not because of anything I didn't like there.

The only thing that was slightly difficult during my time there was the work-life balance. But I don't think its any more than a typical consulting company. Traveling will be a part of the job, and it really just depends on the person. I loved the pace initially, but everyone is different and timing is important to consider as well. The good thing is, as long as you bring it up with management, they are very respectful of that and will work around to help accommodate your life.

Best and worst job of my life

Current Employee - Consulting-sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consulting-sales in New York, NY

I have been working at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great story to tell
    Leader in industry
    People
    Generic simulations by industry
    Well financed

Cons

Growth is Slipping fast
    Arrogant to a point of disfunction
    Few women in key positions
    Sr. management removed from business
    Overpriced for what we deliver
    Losing our best people

Hire someone to give you a picture of what is really going on
    Set more attainable goals
    Listen to employees who have been there
    Update products and add better customized solutions

Most intellectually un-fulfilling job I have ever had

I worked at BTS (Connecticut) full-time

Pros

Tons of great travel opportunities (all over the world); top tier clients; great opportunity to develop your public speaking skills.

Cons

BTS pretends they are a consulting firm, but really they are a training company. Generally, companies hire consulting firms when they want an outside opinion on something. BTS's clients do not expect an opinion from BTS on any business issues whatsoever because that's not what they pay for. Clients pay BTS to parrot whatever strategic message senior management is looking to push out to the organization and nothing more.

If you are looking for an intellectually engaging experience, you will not find it here. The people who have been around for a long time (including, not surprisingly, the senior managers and directors of the company) are equally uninspiring. The best talent in the company are those who are going to leave as soon as they can find a better opportunity. As a result, turnover among new hires is really high.

Don't be wooed by the siren song of travel and exposure to top management of top tier companies. You'll feel like little more than an errand boy (or girl) and the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. You will find yourself looking towards the door in six months or less.

Stop pretending to be a consulting firm. Be honest with who you are and you will have much more success building a healthy organization.

Very positive and I have grown in my roles with the company and work with clients

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

We make a difference with clients. Great people to work with. Very creative solutions and a fun culture.

Cons

A lot of hours and travel time away from family.

A strategy consulting firm not sure of its own strategy?

I have been working at BTS (Connecticut)

Pros

Some smart people
    Some cool clients esp on West Coast
    Interesting work in the Strategy Execution space. Making simulations can be hard work, but fun.

Cons

Is this a training company or a strategy consulting firm? BTS stands for "Business Training Simulations" but no one at the firm uses those words. Essentially, though; that's what BTS does - it creates training programs for companies based on their financials. It's interesting work but they are VERY expensive for what they do, and they're getting priced out of the market.

Firm is not making money in the US. Bad acquisition a few years ago still not fully integrated. Too top heavy.

Turnover is unparalleled. It will be interesting to see what happens to this company...

Get your strategy straight -- it's what you're supposed to be famous for. Either become a training company, and lower your overheads; or get better at strategy development, like your "competitors" (McKinsey, Bain etc).

This is truly an amazing place to work!

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is filled with great, sharp people. Consultants are given tremendous client exposure early in their careers. They are also given a lot of freedom and responsibility.

Cons

Like any high growth company, there are always process improvements that can be made.

Keep up the great work!!!

Best Company I've Worked For Thus Far

Current Employee - Senior Learning Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Learning Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BTS (Connecticut) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the people and the culture
    Rewarded and recognized as a key contributor
    Light travel and exposure to some really cool companies

Cons

At the present time, I cannot think of anything worth mentioning