BUCA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Tasman

Pros
  • Initially good management, good co-workers, fun environment(in 4 reviews)

• Pretty good food overall, lots of it made from scratch(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours , 6 days weeks very common(in 3 reviews)

• Too much reliance on coupons and e-club memberships in order to drive business(in 4 reviews)

Satisfied

Bartender (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsInitially good management, good co-workers, fun environment.

ConsMade some bad management decision later in my tenure with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen management candidates more thoroughly.

Flexible and Fun place to work

Server/Bartender (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFlexible hours, fun ambiance, easy to make money

ConsHard not to eat pasta everyday.

call center

Call Center (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosfriendly, fun, personalable, perks they closed the call center.

Consfor me
    there wasnt any

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting worth

Chef/Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNot to many, free manager meal if you have time to eat.

ConsAlmost daily rule changes,way to much paperwork and emails/projections,constant complains about costs,goals(Budgets) unreachable/unrealistic,,little training,training hours for hourly employees not existent. Not enough time in the day to get everything done the correct way.
    Total micro managing. 12 to 15 hour days are the norm in lots of the stores for managers.
    Managers are expected to do hourly workers jobs to save on labor cost.
    Lots of turnover in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your managers like you want to be treated .Don't thread and harass the managers constantly.Trust your people more instead of constantly checking what they do wrong. More appreciation for people who work all those holidays, maybe one extra day off would help.Lots of miss communication since PH moved to Orlando.
    New ideas are send in to the stores, not really thought trough all the way most of the times.Rapid menu and constant recipe changes on short notice,not even a week time to train people on new recipes.

Worst jobs ever

Server (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun group of individuals to work with and very low standards for management, making promotions considerably easier

ConsPoor training program for employees and managers. Very low standards of service, standards of cleanliness and terrible moral. I have worked at two separate Bucas over the course of 4 years and of the 10+ food service establishments i have worked in both of these come in dead last. Never worked in a place so such low moral. Great concept, terrible execution

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need proper training in not only Buca Standards but also how to be an efficient leader of employees.

Has a bright future with the right leadership

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEnjoyed working with some really great people who had a real passion for the industry. Fun concept to work for and made some lifelong friends working for the company. Company has a great future.

ConsBuca seemed to be the king of knee jerk reactions to any changes within the company. One week a procedure would be in place and the next it would be gone, only to come back a few weeks later. Too much reliance on coupons and e-club memberships in order to drive business. Coupons attract clientele that don't want to spend money. They want to spend as little as possible and get a big discount. Way too much of spending money at the corporate level on unnecessary things (fancy coffee machines/logoed wine glasses) while ignoring the much needed things in order to keep the operation going (maintenance/repairs/remodeling). Lousy bonus structure that catered to the top managers while the lower level managers did the same work, if not more, only to receive the crumbs left over.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink things over (or test it in smaller market) before dumping a new idea on the entire company only to pull it back a few weeks later. Coupons!! $10 off $20!! What does that say about our food/brand/concept? Not worth what we charge for it! Initially, it drove sales during the hard times. Now, people come in droves with coupon(s) only to purchase the minimum amount (many servers would report having to sell a table a soda in order to get over the minimum) to get their discount. Get rid of them!!

One Big Plate Of Poo (Family Style)

General Manager (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsNew Ownership got something VERY special at a below market price.
    Tremendous opportunity to reestablish chains initial excitement and glory

ConsTime to invest in Human Resources? NO.
    Time to re-establish a high level of pride, service and clean facilities? Not So Much
    Time to develop managers into leaders. No
    Time to stop requiring managers to do hourly work. Ca. Courts Said Yes
    Time to dumb down the culinary staff along with wages? Yes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your concerned all the time you may get sued, most likely you aren't following the law.
    Just do the right thing... For your guests, staff and communities.

fun atmosphere. Can get very stressful

Server (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Prostips, cool co-workers, fun parties, good food

Consphysically demanding, stressful, minimum wage,

Adequate.

Server (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsFlexible Schedule, decent income, overall as a server you have a fair amount of autonomy. In addition, it is a great place to work closely with people and an excellent place to make friends.

ConsThe management structure is extremely autocratic and there is little room for input. Also, there is no leadership in the organization, meaning that the company does not work to develop individuals through coaching and providing clear feedback.

Overall, worth the money

Server (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood money, flexible scheduling, Hard to get fired.

ConsHuge Restaurant, Lots of Drama between employees, very few managers for the size of restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to serve at Buca before trying to understand the servers and Wait assistants

Worked for BUCA? Contribute to the Community!