BUCA Reviews

83 reviews filtered by

1. If your desperate for money

Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BUCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If the location has auto gratuity then you can put up with the terrible customers and constant coupons. I graduated and found a much better job, head that route if you can.

Cons

Back breaking service, very degrading, management is pretty self centered and unsupportive, company as a whole does not keep their promises.

Advice to Management

Provide more incentive for all of the hard work and follow through on promises.

2. The worse job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Server in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Maitland, FL

I have been working at BUCA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

When they would role out the new menus and we would spend a day trying all the new food

Cons

The management and no appreciation for employees.

Advice to Management

Hire new management

3. Food is cheaply made and way too expensive

Former Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at BUCA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People have to tip well because its so expensive, big parties typically mean big money as well and theres lots of those

Cons

You work every holiday whether you want to or not. Didnt seat my mother in my section on mothers day even when she requested it.

Advice to Management

some time off, and pick one manager to run the place not different managers with different rules

5. Sinking Ship

I worked at BUCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The food and the regulars

Cons

Where to start! The company will not repair or replace faulty equipment. They are obsessed with costs at the expense of the guest experience and employee morale. They are actually anti christian and "turn & burn" is the name of the game with managers.

Advice to Management

You have destroyed a once fun and successful restaurant concept with your style of management.

6. Soul crushing.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at BUCA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upon initial hire you feel like you are being well trained, with average pay, with good benefits. Some stores are excellent and professional, unfortunately I was not at one of them.

Cons

Culture revolves around high turnover at all in-store positions.

I was hired the same month as a member of the opposite sex, for the exact same position, by the same person, for a different location. The other hire was completely unprofessional and had no management experience. They were mouthy about their compensation, so I found out that it was several thousand more than my own.

Completely inept boss barely worked 30 hours per week and did none of what was expected of him. While his staff was expected to work 12+ hour days each day they worked, and to cover all of his expected tasks. (Scheduling, staff management, inventory, finance reporting.) Higher up management knew of this and brushed it off.

No consistency with scheduling and planning. Since there was so much turnover, long term employees always had to work even when they did not want to. Most of the time hiring was happening for all positions, including top store management. No support from upper management to better manage the store.

Working there was a life changing experience. My faith in the good of others was shot. I now know how companies like this approach ethical issues and I am disgusted by them.

Advice to Management

If you send new hire management through months of ethics training, perhaps they should not be completely dismissed when reporting several acts of misconduct amongst staff. I found out later that some acts were never documented or reported to corporate.

7. Friendly place to work - not much room to grow.

I have been working at BUCA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic food!
    Staff and management in store all work together.
    OK benefits - health insurance is decent for managers; different for part-time staff.

Cons

Corporate doesn't ask those in the real-world situations to evaluate, and makes changes anyway. Cannot negotiate PTO days in considering a position with the company - "take what we offer" is the only option.

Advice to Management

Check with those in the restaurants if things are working or not before making drastic changes.

8. Best place to work

Current Employee - Hostess in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Hostess in Florence, KY

I have been working at BUCA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

everyone is friendly, good discount on the food, management treats you like family. they help you advance within the company if you want to, they're there to help you whenever you need. the regulars always remember you.

Cons

pay is decent but could be higher, open everyday of the year and hard to request holidays off.

Advice to Management

offer promotions and pay raises to employees who work hard and show improvement rather than just to people with more experience.

9. Cheap company with inept management

Current Employee - Host
    Current Employee - Host

I have been working at BUCA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free soft drinks (only from tiny cups though, God forbid an employee should have a perk)

Cons

Insane corporate structure, scatterbrained management that completely disregards employees' scheduling needs, no chance of advancement (especially for women), no break whatsoever when I worked for 11 hours on a major holiday, lack of hours, sexual harassment, terrible training program, employees get a 50 percent discount on food the days they work, but you are not allowed to take the leftovers home

10. Corporate Work Environment

Former Employee - Server in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Pasadena, CA

I worked at BUCA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent training, consistent business usually

Cons

Limited amount of growth, management is usually very strict and corporate like, limited amount of money achievable.

11. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BUCA full-time

Pros

Great bosses they value their employees. Have the opportunity to advance within the company.

Cons

The hours can be a little overwhelming some days.