BUCA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Tasman

Pros
  • Initially good management, good co-workers, fun environment (in 4 reviews)

• Pretty good food overall, lots of it made from scratch (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours , 6 days weeks very common (in 3 reviews)

• Too much reliance on coupons and e-club memberships in order to drive business (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The local management is great, the corporate not so much.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lynnwood, WA

ProsOn the local level, the employees are competent and fun to be around. I do genuinely enjoy going in to work. The managers are supportive of their employees lives outside the business and are very willing to work with employees regarding scheduling and time off. I cannot express enough praise for my local and regional managers. They are truly amazing and always make me feel valued as an employee and as a person.

ConsSlowly but surely the corporate HQ hands down more and more burdens on employees whilst taking away benefits. In this industry, you're going to work holidays, and all employees know that and are prepared to do that. However, holiday hours were extended so much over the past couple years that employees have almost no time to be with their families. While I feel valued by my local and regional managers, I cannot say I feel valued at all on a corporate level.

I Love This Place!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsGreat Food, Great Environment, Great Team. This is the Best Place I have worked. Buca has a unique history and lots of growth potential, eight new locations in the last year!

ConsLong hours, and open three hundred sixty five days a year. Including Thanksgiving and Christmas these past two years. It’s been busy on these major holidays, so we are making money, but we would rather spend time with our family if only one day a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for being very open to your employee’s ideas and I appreciate your ability to coach your team so that we are all more successful through your leadership

Not to great

Server (Current Employee) Davie, FL

ProsYou can get many hours. It is a nice restaurant. It is very clean and well organized. There is a lot of training before you become a server. You get alot of feedback about what you can do better.

ConsThe managers are not friendly but not any different from any other restaurant you might work at. There isnt any positive feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more postivie feedback to make it a more friendly place to work at. Listen to your employees when they have a suggestion.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

lots of corporate rules

Server (Former Employee) Ardmore, PA

Pros- very nice co-workers
    - everyone was fun to work with
    - supportive management
    - delicious food
    - family environment

Cons- hard to request time off and it wasn't guaranteed
    - very specific rules from corporate
    - had to make at least 8 pitches to every table
    - every table had coupons

server

Server (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

Prosleave with cash, make your own schedule, uniform is inexpensive, there is a lot of money to be made doing banquets

Consyoure a waiter, they make you come in way before the guests arrive, they dont allow cigarettes, you work in a restaurant

Advice to Senior Managementbetter family meal, different times to come in for shifts, having a break in stead of working through on all doubles

Not what it used to be.

General Manager (Former Employee) Strongsville, OH

ProsLoved my staff and the ambiance.

ConsAfter Planet Hollywood bought them it went down hill.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue what you have.

Better before Planet Hollywood

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDiscounts and co workers. Scheduling is easier to workout. Pay is relative to what season it is. overall family oriented environment.

ConsConstant corporatized changes. No core menu, everything subject to change. They have more coupons than anything and don't care how that affects sales per table and how small tips can be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to "catch" someone doing something wrong. Reward the employees for positive things. Ask employees for input prior to major menu overhaul. Be more consistent amongst your expectations of management character.

Change is good, but this was a little too much change...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun and interesting coworkers. Good people overall.
    The atmosphere is fun and kitschy, pretty laid back sometimes with wacky decorations.
    Pretty good food overall, lots of it made from scratch.
    Most of the employees and managers really care about the customers having a great experience.

ConsHigh management turnover.
    The policies were constantly being revised, to the point of being counterproductive, contradictory, or simply obnoxious.
    Frequent favoritism and wastefulness; managers ate extravagant meals and then complained about food costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent.

Each manager would tell you a different answer to the same question. Also, depending on their mood, sometimes they just holed up in the office to chitchat when there were serious issues that required their attention.

Easy Going place to work at

ProsGreat People and great management

ConsWorking for Tips in a rough market

Buca when Buca was a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBuca was a great place to work with caring people until PH took over.

ConsWhen purchased by PH, the concept of work/life balance went down hill.

Worked for BUCA? Contribute to the Community!