BUCA Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

Rick Tasman

Pros
  • Initially good management, good co-workers, fun environment (in 4 reviews)

• Pretty good food overall, lots of it made from scratch (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours , 6 days weeks very common (in 3 reviews)

• Too much reliance on coupons and e-club memberships in order to drive business (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Getting worth

Current Employee - Chef/Manager
    Current Employee - Chef/Manager

I have been working at BUCA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not to many, free manager meal if you have time to eat.

Cons

Almost daily rule changes,way to much paperwork and emails/projections,constant complains about costs,goals(Budgets) unreachable/unrealistic,,little training,training hours for hourly employees not existent. Not enough time in the day to get everything done the correct way.
    Total micro managing. 12 to 15 hour days are the norm in lots of the stores for managers.
    Managers are expected to do hourly workers jobs to save on labor cost.
    Lots of turnover in upper management.

Treat your managers like you want to be treated .Don't thread and harass the managers constantly.Trust your people more instead of constantly checking what they do wrong. More appreciation for people who work all those holidays, maybe one extra day off would help.Lots of miss communication since PH moved to Orlando.
    New ideas are send in to the stores, not really thought trough all the way most of the times.Rapid menu and constant recipe changes on short notice,not even a week time to train people on new recipes.

Worst jobs ever

Former Employee - Server  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at BUCA full-time

Pros

Fun group of individuals to work with and very low standards for management, making promotions considerably easier

Cons

Poor training program for employees and managers. Very low standards of service, standards of cleanliness and terrible moral. I have worked at two separate Bucas over the course of 4 years and of the 10+ food service establishments i have worked in both of these come in dead last. Never worked in a place so such low moral. Great concept, terrible execution

Managers need proper training in not only Buca Standards but also how to be an efficient leader of employees.

Has a bright future with the right leadership

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at BUCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed working with some really great people who had a real passion for the industry. Fun concept to work for and made some lifelong friends working for the company. Company has a great future.

Cons

Buca seemed to be the king of knee jerk reactions to any changes within the company. One week a procedure would be in place and the next it would be gone, only to come back a few weeks later. Too much reliance on coupons and e-club memberships in order to drive business. Coupons attract clientele that don't want to spend money. They want to spend as little as possible and get a big discount. Way too much of spending money at the corporate level on unnecessary things (fancy coffee machines/logoed wine glasses) while ignoring the much needed things in order to keep the operation going (maintenance/repairs/remodeling). Lousy bonus structure that catered to the top managers while the lower level managers did the same work, if not more, only to receive the crumbs left over.

Think things over (or test it in smaller market) before dumping a new idea on the entire company only to pull it back a few weeks later. Coupons!! $10 off $20!! What does that say about our food/brand/concept? Not worth what we charge for it! Initially, it drove sales during the hard times. Now, people come in droves with coupon(s) only to purchase the minimum amount (many servers would report having to sell a table a soda in order to get over the minimum) to get their discount. Get rid of them!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One Big Plate Of Poo (Family Style)

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at BUCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

New Ownership got something VERY special at a below market price.
    Tremendous opportunity to reestablish chains initial excitement and glory

Cons

Time to invest in Human Resources? NO.
    Time to re-establish a high level of pride, service and clean facilities? Not So Much
    Time to develop managers into leaders. No
    Time to stop requiring managers to do hourly work. Ca. Courts Said Yes
    Time to dumb down the culinary staff along with wages? Yes.

If your concerned all the time you may get sued, most likely you aren't following the law.
    Just do the right thing... For your guests, staff and communities.

fun atmosphere. Can get very stressful

Current Employee - Server  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

tips, cool co-workers, fun parties, good food

Cons

physically demanding, stressful, minimum wage,

Adequate.

Current Employee - Server  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

Flexible Schedule, decent income, overall as a server you have a fair amount of autonomy. In addition, it is a great place to work closely with people and an excellent place to make friends.

Cons

The management structure is extremely autocratic and there is little room for input. Also, there is no leadership in the organization, meaning that the company does not work to develop individuals through coaching and providing clear feedback.

Overall, worth the money

Current Employee - Server  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

Good money, flexible scheduling, Hard to get fired.

Cons

Huge Restaurant, Lots of Drama between employees, very few managers for the size of restaurant.

Take time to serve at Buca before trying to understand the servers and Wait assistants

The local management is great, the corporate not so much.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

On the local level, the employees are competent and fun to be around. I do genuinely enjoy going in to work. The managers are supportive of their employees lives outside the business and are very willing to work with employees regarding scheduling and time off. I cannot express enough praise for my local and regional managers. They are truly amazing and always make me feel valued as an employee and as a person.

Cons

Slowly but surely the corporate HQ hands down more and more burdens on employees whilst taking away benefits. In this industry, you're going to work holidays, and all employees know that and are prepared to do that. However, holiday hours were extended so much over the past couple years that employees have almost no time to be with their families. While I feel valued by my local and regional managers, I cannot say I feel valued at all on a corporate level.

Not to great

Current Employee - Server  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Davie, FL

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

You can get many hours. It is a nice restaurant. It is very clean and well organized. There is a lot of training before you become a server. You get alot of feedback about what you can do better.

Cons

The managers are not friendly but not any different from any other restaurant you might work at. There isnt any positive feedback.

Give more postivie feedback to make it a more friendly place to work at. Listen to your employees when they have a suggestion.

I Love This Place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at BUCA

Pros

Great Food, Great Environment, Great Team. This is the Best Place I have worked. Buca has a unique history and lots of growth potential, eight new locations in the last year!

Cons

Long hours, and open three hundred sixty five days a year. Including Thanksgiving and Christmas these past two years. It’s been busy on these major holidays, so we are making money, but we would rather spend time with our family if only one day a year.

Thank you for being very open to your employee’s ideas and I appreciate your ability to coach your team so that we are all more successful through your leadership

Worked for BUCA? Contribute to the Community!