BVK

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
3.5

Michael P. Voss

This could be the best agency in town if......

Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at BVK full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere. Great, smart people who really care about the work they do. I haven't worked at many places, but their creative staff is by far the best in the city. Bar none. Their support of non-profits through Serve is commendable. Agency's Creative Department head, Gary Mueller, does an amazing job of taking care of people and giving back to the community. He's the only manager there that won't B.S. you. He helped me when my own boss and other acct management were unavailable.

Cons

Their account side leadership is non-existent. The managing partner who is supposed to be in charge of account side knows nothing about advertising. Spends all his time using the company credit card buying cool technology for himself instead of managing the business or staff. No appreciation or understanding by company owner of how much staffing is needed. He lives in Florida 6 months out of the year to avoid paying taxes in Wisconsin. That says it all. Too bad, because there is so much good about this place.

Fun environment / lacks growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at BVK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people, trendy workplace design, flexible hours, minimal dress code, decent health and dental benefits, great parking, and good location.

Cons

No room for growth or change. A worker can get locked into a client or job where there is no room for change or growth. Bonus is a disappointment and there is no review process to improve your pay scale.

Blind leading the blind

I worked at BVK

Pros

People, good projects, option to work on non-profit businesses. About as casual of an environment as you can get (literally saw someone do a keg stand in an office).

Cons

Chaotic work environment; people would literally refuse to work on projects and no one in management would get involved. It was fine to miss deadlines, including sending a new business pitch after it was due. No reviews, no real management driving the company so it was every person for themselves, which makes it pretty impossible to be productive.

Act like senior management. Do the basic things required to properly manage a business.

One of the best in Milwaukee

Current Employee - Creative in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Creative in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at BVK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly great people. Gary has a heart of gold, and treats even the junior employees with honesty and respect. A fine place to start your career.

Cons

It's advertising. So the things that go along with that. Oh, and ad jobs in Mke just plain don't pay as well as larger markets. But at least the beer is cheap.

Gary did me a solid before I left. May have been a small thing to him, but it was huge to me. Don't let that guy leave.

Incompetency runs amok

Former Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at BVK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative environment and commitment to non-profit endeavors that support and better the community.

Cons

Disorganized and inconsistent - it was a challenge getting people to show for meetings and complete client work. It was surprising how willing everyone was to forgo general professional business practices and how unwilling management was to help overcome these issues.
    It was easy for adequate team members to get away with being nothing more than adequate for years on end.
    There was no willingness from management to invest in training or other education that would benefit staff or clients.
    Leadership in general was lacking - for a very senior level heavy organization, no one stood out as an effective leader.
    More often than not, it seemed like dysfunctional high school students were running the show and was, by far, one of the worst professional experiences I had. I left because I realized that my reputation was attached to what was going on there and I wasn't OK with that.

It starts at the top. Put someone in charge who hasn't already fallen into the BVK trap and empower them to lead and make positive change.

Awesome

I have been working at BVK

Pros

Laidback, innovative, creative, friendly, fun

Cons

No dress code, not extremely formal, sometimes not a lot of work to be done

Eye Opening insite into the national yellow pages channel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BVK

Pros

great work, life ballance
    diverse group of individuals.

Cons

a industry in the throws of a very difficult change.
    Direct side is stuck between the publishers and the clients.

Broadcast Manager

I have been working at BVK

Pros

Lots of great people work here. Team oriented.

Cons

Fast paced, busy environment - but its advertising so no surprise there!

Room for growth, but you have to fight for it.

I worked at BVK

Pros

Good people and benefits. big accounts do come along, always looking for new clients, people generally very nice and a good balance between work and life most of the time.

Cons

Sometimes you can get stuck in a rut doing the same things over and over again. You pretty much have to leave to get a salary bump, and if you've been placed with a client, it is very hard to branch out beyond it.

Create more of an internal process instead of 100 different ways to do things. Have a more transparent raise/salary structure.