Babcock International

Add Photos

Babcock International CEO Peter L. Rogers

Peter L. Rogers

Great apprenticeship programme

Technical Apprentice (Current Employee) Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

ProsAs a technical apprentice, Babcock has offered me some fantastic and unique learning opportunities. I have worked with some fantastic engineers throughout my time who have all been very keen and helpful to take time to teach me as much as they can.
    I have also been enrolled into a design engineering honours degree course with the Open University which is a fantastic opportunity to work my way up toward a chartered engineer.

ConsReviews are supposed to take place every 6 months but are often delayed for months at a time, although any pay is backdated to the time the review was supposed to happen, it would be better to have these take place on time as you can begin to feel forgotten about when you are left for so long.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train from within the company as this gives a good incentive to continue to work hard and develop your skills.

Best decision I ever made was to apply to Babcock

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

ProsStraight out of university I have been given challenging and exciting projects, if you put yourself forward and show you have the right skill or willingness to learn the oppotunities will be there for you to continually grow and improve. I am proof of this and know of many people who have had experiences similar to myself. I have been able to work on projects like the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers which is a phenomenal experience for someone so early in their career.

I have had huge support, not just financially but in time too, for further learning in the form of courses, MSc modules and on the job training. There is a wealth of experience in this company, especially for engineers, and it is a great environment to learn with people who WANT to share their knowledge. Also very supportive of routes to professional registration and associated extra activities - IMechE young members, STEM engagement etc.

Very accomodating to adapt working hours to personal circumstances. You can apply for flexi which is great, I also work a condensed week so have a 3 day weekend every week.

I enjoy the work, I thrive in the fast paced enviroment and I look forward to the career progression I will have with Babcock. As an employer they are very clear about what is expected of employees at their current position and what competencies or behaviour would be expected of you to be considered for a promoted position. As an employee this clarity and openess gives me the confidence that when I am ready and a role comes up I will be a strong contender.

As a female in a very male dominated profession I appreciate that I am treated as an equal. It is very clear to me at Babcock I earned my job and any promotions due to my performance and not to tick a diversity box.

If you want to be valued, challenged and encouraged to push yourself Babcock is definitly the right employer.

ConsApplication process can seem to have large periods of waiting, email updates would be appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your employees!

Publically reward/praise employees for their significant achievements - graduations, professional registration etc. ( I know they are rewarded but these are things to be celebrated - it is as simple as a mention in an update/company intranet)

Top Company, great sectors, good customers, nice people

Junior Project Manager (Current Employee) Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

Prosexciting work, iconic projects, pleasant people, getting much better at people management and hr stuff

Consnot a 'one company' mentality, quite silod

Advice to Senior ManagementHave tobe more willing to change with the times and be open to new ideas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ConsBad Location
    Bad management
    No benefits
    pension scheme

provider of professional technical and engineering solutions

Management - Finance Manager (Current Employee) Plymouth, England (UK)

ProsA customer-focused organisation with a balanced portfolio of businesses that are within the top three in their marketplace. Winning long-term contracts with critical asset and infrastructure owners, primarily government bodies and blue chip companies

ConsGoing through restructuring and the uncertainties that comes with it

Advice to Senior ManagementPrompt provision of required trainings without going through loops and bottlenecks

Babcock Railway Electrician(sit)

Electrician (Current Employee) Hamilton, Scotland (UK)

ProsVery few from my position at the moment. Big reputable company, there is a structure of grievance, and to an extend management are accountable. To an extent

ConsVery poor payers, very poor. Guys expected to work 6/7 days, even then wages are still far from the national comparable. Poor management setup, very poor. No technically experienced people to offer support to electricians. Non graded electricians working on their own and on call. No suitable training to undertake tasks which have a clear skill set, although 90% of jobs are very easy, there are a percentage that are hard and no support or back up is given. Babcock also recently lost a contract for the facilities maintence of Scotrail premises, to company which are 3 years old with a head office location at a welfare and miners club, both tender prices where the same. Says it all about babcocks inability to deliever not only to client but most importantly to staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees fairly, have management able to do the job.

No direction but good H&S

Safety Case Engineer (Author) (Current Employee) Helensburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsA very strong H&S culture driven by H&S dept, trade unions and employees across Marine & Technology (though fire and environmental issues have no ownership as part of H&S)

ConsVery poor pay. Poor accountability for work. A distinct lack of direction from the board. No performance incentive (financial or otherwise). Legacy issues regarding policies which are not addressed due to managerial apathy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite the obvious transitional state which some believe the company to be in (marine and technology) this is not an excuse to sit back and wait for things to happen. We should be proactive in managing what we have. Our client has delayed the renewal of their contract for some time and could do so again. We cannot be seen to tread water for this period. Employee opinion surveys showed this and MSDF is not to be hidden behind.

The Heart of this company is gone.

Design Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery Reputable Name, High Profile Contracts, Good Starting Salary and Job Stability

ConsManagement sometimes imposed narratives on design engineer's technical reports, to support their business cases and cover up errors in construction work.
    An unnecessarily complicated graduate scheme, which shifts graduates around the country every six months with little to no support for relocation apart from the basic starting salary. After this there is very little emphasis or investment in career development or trainin in any of the sectors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart re-investing in the in-house engineering design capability instead of having an "out-sourcing" culture.

To the line worker, it appears as though Babcock's reclassification as a "Services Company" on the stock exchange is moving away from the prestigious engineering it's renowned for, and a move towards a more glorified middle-management "Win Work then Out-Source" style.

Nuclear Division- If you are reading then do not apply, do not pass go you are better than this.

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat bunch of engineers to work with (they always are)

ConsManagement. Ridiculous pay structure, promotion structure, silly petty rules. Training? Haha. Good one. It appears that the majority of middle management are there because anyone who is any good has left ASAP, so you're left with some utterly inept staff.

If you want a life of Class C hire cars, Premier Inns, useless health and safety courses and quibbling over 7p expenses indiscretions then this is the life for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep topping up with graduates! No one else is going to write meaningless datasheets for you so you can bill the client 10x their wage.

LOVE TO CHANGE GOAL POSTS AND FORGET TO TELL EMPLOYEES

ProsAble to move about the company with many chances to try diffrent divisions, interviews internally are very imformal which make you feel very relaxed

ConsStats stats and more stats more to business then the bottom line! Reports appear to be the big thing and most of them seem to make stuff up!

Advice to Senior Managementdont be such bully boys! big HR issues. Everyone's face should fit not just the choosen few

Worked for Babcock International? Contribute to the Community!