Babcock International

Updated January 7, 2015
3.1

Babcock International CEO Peter L. Rogers
Peter L. Rogers

Hands on diverse experience within a defence environment

Former Intern - Placement Engineer in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Placement Engineer in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at Babcock International as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Lots to see and do that is not accessible when working for non-defence companies. Wide range of business areas to get involved in/with.

Cons

Bureaucratic.
    Culture still stems from being a public sector company recently.
    Not overly challenging.

Challenge interns to perform and excel. Push them. There was no incentive to do well.

Good working with peers, global communication is very bad, everything is on a need to know basis

I have been working at Babcock International

Pros

Not micromanaged,
    Good environment on the airport

Cons

Not flexible
    Not communicated
    Staff not treated with respect

Summer Internship

Former Intern - Summer Intern
    Former Intern - Summer Intern

I worked at Babcock International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work to be done.
    Staff very helpful and good to work with.
    Learned a lot

Cons

No set work plan
    A little bureaucratic from what I saw

Big and diverse company

I have been working at Babcock International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Variety of work on offer and range of opportunities that are available across the company. Good scope in the markets that Babcock operates in and company has developed.

Cons

Most areas tend to operate in silos with often little focus on career development, which tends to be self-directed.

Great apprenticeship programme

Current Employee - Technical Apprentice in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Apprentice in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a technical apprentice, Babcock has offered me some fantastic and unique learning opportunities. I have worked with some fantastic engineers throughout my time who have all been very keen and helpful to take time to teach me as much as they can.
    I have also been enrolled into a design engineering honours degree course with the Open University which is a fantastic opportunity to work my way up toward a chartered engineer.

Cons

Reviews are supposed to take place every 6 months but are often delayed for months at a time, although any pay is backdated to the time the review was supposed to happen, it would be better to have these take place on time as you can begin to feel forgotten about when you are left for so long.

Continue to train from within the company as this gives a good incentive to continue to work hard and develop your skills.

Best decision I ever made was to apply to Babcock

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Straight out of university I have been given challenging and exciting projects, if you put yourself forward and show you have the right skill or willingness to learn the oppotunities will be there for you to continually grow and improve. I am proof of this and know of many people who have had experiences similar to myself. I have been able to work on projects like the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers which is a phenomenal experience for someone so early in their career.

I have had huge support, not just financially but in time too, for further learning in the form of courses, MSc modules and on the job training. There is a wealth of experience in this company, especially for engineers, and it is a great environment to learn with people who WANT to share their knowledge. Also very supportive of routes to professional registration and associated extra activities - IMechE young members, STEM engagement etc.

Very accomodating to adapt working hours to personal circumstances. You can apply for flexi which is great, I also work a condensed week so have a 3 day weekend every week.

I enjoy the work, I thrive in the fast paced enviroment and I look forward to the career progression I will have with Babcock. As an employer they are very clear about what is expected of employees at their current position and what competencies or behaviour would be expected of you to be considered for a promoted position. As an employee this clarity and openess gives me the confidence that when I am ready and a role comes up I will be a strong contender.

As a female in a very male dominated profession I appreciate that I am treated as an equal. It is very clear to me at Babcock I earned my job and any promotions due to my performance and not to tick a diversity box.

If you want to be valued, challenged and encouraged to push yourself Babcock is definitly the right employer.

Cons

Application process can seem to have large periods of waiting, email updates would be appreciated.

Keep investing in your employees!

Publically reward/praise employees for their significant achievements - graduations, professional registration etc. ( I know they are rewarded but these are things to be celebrated - it is as simple as a mention in an update/company intranet)

Terrible Management and HR

I have been working at Babcock International

Pros

Wages OK
    All training provided
    Good work colleagues

Cons

Bad Location
    Bad management
    No benefits
    pension scheme

Top Company, great sectors, good customers, nice people

Current Employee - Junior Project Manager in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Junior Project Manager in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

exciting work, iconic projects, pleasant people, getting much better at people management and hr stuff

Cons

not a 'one company' mentality, quite silod

Have tobe more willing to change with the times and be open to new ideas

provider of professional technical and engineering solutions

Current Employee - Management - Finance Manager in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management - Finance Manager in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A customer-focused organisation with a balanced portfolio of businesses that are within the top three in their marketplace. Winning long-term contracts with critical asset and infrastructure owners, primarily government bodies and blue chip companies

Cons

Going through restructuring and the uncertainties that comes with it

Prompt provision of required trainings without going through loops and bottlenecks

Babcock Railway Electrician(sit)

Current Employee - Electrician in Hamilton, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Electrician in Hamilton, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few from my position at the moment. Big reputable company, there is a structure of grievance, and to an extend management are accountable. To an extent

Cons

Very poor payers, very poor. Guys expected to work 6/7 days, even then wages are still far from the national comparable. Poor management setup, very poor. No technically experienced people to offer support to electricians. Non graded electricians working on their own and on call. No suitable training to undertake tasks which have a clear skill set, although 90% of jobs are very easy, there are a percentage that are hard and no support or back up is given. Babcock also recently lost a contract for the facilities maintence of Scotrail premises, to company which are 3 years old with a head office location at a welfare and miners club, both tender prices where the same. Says it all about babcocks inability to deliever not only to client but most importantly to staff.

Treat employees fairly, have management able to do the job.