Babcock International Reviews

Babcock International CEO Peter L. Rogers
Peter L. Rogers

Big and diverse company

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Variety of work on offer and range of opportunities that are available across the company. Good scope in the markets that Babcock operates in and company has developed.

Cons

Most areas tend to operate in silos with often little focus on career development, which tends to be self-directed.

Great apprenticeship programme

Current Employee - Technical Apprentice  in  Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Apprentice in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a technical apprentice, Babcock has offered me some fantastic and unique learning opportunities. I have worked with some fantastic engineers throughout my time who have all been very keen and helpful to take time to teach me as much as they can.
    I have also been enrolled into a design engineering honours degree course with the Open University which is a fantastic opportunity to work my way up toward a chartered engineer.

Cons

Reviews are supposed to take place every 6 months but are often delayed for months at a time, although any pay is backdated to the time the review was supposed to happen, it would be better to have these take place on time as you can begin to feel forgotten about when you are left for so long.

Continue to train from within the company as this gives a good incentive to continue to work hard and develop your skills.

Best decision I ever made was to apply to Babcock

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Straight out of university I have been given challenging and exciting projects, if you put yourself forward and show you have the right skill or willingness to learn the oppotunities will be there for you to continually grow and improve. I am proof of this and know of many people who have had experiences similar to myself. I have been able to work on projects like the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers which is a phenomenal experience for someone so early in their career.

I have had huge support, not just financially but in time too, for further learning in the form of courses, MSc modules and on the job training. There is a wealth of experience in this company, especially for engineers, and it is a great environment to learn with people who WANT to share their knowledge. Also very supportive of routes to professional registration and associated extra activities - IMechE young members, STEM engagement etc.

Very accomodating to adapt working hours to personal circumstances. You can apply for flexi which is great, I also work a condensed week so have a 3 day weekend every week.

I enjoy the work, I thrive in the fast paced enviroment and I look forward to the career progression I will have with Babcock. As an employer they are very clear about what is expected of employees at their current position and what competencies or behaviour would be expected of you to be considered for a promoted position. As an employee this clarity and openess gives me the confidence that when I am ready and a role comes up I will be a strong contender.

As a female in a very male dominated profession I appreciate that I am treated as an equal. It is very clear to me at Babcock I earned my job and any promotions due to my performance and not to tick a diversity box.

If you want to be valued, challenged and encouraged to push yourself Babcock is definitly the right employer.

Cons

Application process can seem to have large periods of waiting, email updates would be appreciated.

Keep investing in your employees!

Publically reward/praise employees for their significant achievements - graduations, professional registration etc. ( I know they are rewarded but these are things to be celebrated - it is as simple as a mention in an update/company intranet)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Management and HR

I have been working at Babcock International

Pros

Wages OK
    All training provided
    Good work colleagues

Cons

Bad Location
    Bad management
    No benefits
    pension scheme

Top Company, great sectors, good customers, nice people

Current Employee - Junior Project Manager  in  Rosyth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Junior Project Manager in Rosyth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than a year

Pros

exciting work, iconic projects, pleasant people, getting much better at people management and hr stuff

Cons

not a 'one company' mentality, quite silod

Have tobe more willing to change with the times and be open to new ideas

provider of professional technical and engineering solutions

Current Employee - Management - Finance Manager  in  Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management - Finance Manager in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than a year

Pros

A customer-focused organisation with a balanced portfolio of businesses that are within the top three in their marketplace. Winning long-term contracts with critical asset and infrastructure owners, primarily government bodies and blue chip companies

Cons

Going through restructuring and the uncertainties that comes with it

Prompt provision of required trainings without going through loops and bottlenecks

Babcock Railway Electrician(sit)

Current Employee - Electrician  in  Hamilton, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Electrician in Hamilton, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few from my position at the moment. Big reputable company, there is a structure of grievance, and to an extend management are accountable. To an extent

Cons

Very poor payers, very poor. Guys expected to work 6/7 days, even then wages are still far from the national comparable. Poor management setup, very poor. No technically experienced people to offer support to electricians. Non graded electricians working on their own and on call. No suitable training to undertake tasks which have a clear skill set, although 90% of jobs are very easy, there are a percentage that are hard and no support or back up is given. Babcock also recently lost a contract for the facilities maintence of Scotrail premises, to company which are 3 years old with a head office location at a welfare and miners club, both tender prices where the same. Says it all about babcocks inability to deliever not only to client but most importantly to staff.

Treat employees fairly, have management able to do the job.

No direction but good H&S

Current Employee - Safety Case Engineer (Author)  in  Helensburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Safety Case Engineer (Author) in Helensburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very strong H&S culture driven by H&S dept, trade unions and employees across Marine & Technology (though fire and environmental issues have no ownership as part of H&S)

Cons

Very poor pay. Poor accountability for work. A distinct lack of direction from the board. No performance incentive (financial or otherwise). Legacy issues regarding policies which are not addressed due to managerial apathy.

Despite the obvious transitional state which some believe the company to be in (marine and technology) this is not an excuse to sit back and wait for things to happen. We should be proactive in managing what we have. Our client has delayed the renewal of their contract for some time and could do so again. We cannot be seen to tread water for this period. Employee opinion surveys showed this and MSDF is not to be hidden behind.

The Heart of this company is gone.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Babcock International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Reputable Name, High Profile Contracts, Good Starting Salary and Job Stability

Cons

Management sometimes imposed narratives on design engineer's technical reports, to support their business cases and cover up errors in construction work.
    An unnecessarily complicated graduate scheme, which shifts graduates around the country every six months with little to no support for relocation apart from the basic starting salary. After this there is very little emphasis or investment in career development or trainin in any of the sectors.

Start re-investing in the in-house engineering design capability instead of having an "out-sourcing" culture.

To the line worker, it appears as though Babcock's reclassification as a "Services Company" on the stock exchange is moving away from the prestigious engineering it's renowned for, and a move towards a more glorified middle-management "Win Work then Out-Source" style.

Nuclear Division- If you are reading then do not apply, do not pass go you are better than this.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Babcock International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great bunch of engineers to work with (they always are)

Cons

Management. Ridiculous pay structure, promotion structure, silly petty rules. Training? Haha. Good one. It appears that the majority of middle management are there because anyone who is any good has left ASAP, so you're left with some utterly inept staff.

If you want a life of Class C hire cars, Premier Inns, useless health and safety courses and quibbling over 7p expenses indiscretions then this is the life for you!

Keep topping up with graduates! No one else is going to write meaningless datasheets for you so you can bill the client 10x their wage.

Worked for Babcock International? Contribute to the Community!