Babies "R" Us Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • flexible hours, Always make sure you get your lunch breaks (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits for full-time employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Toys R Us and Babies R Us have strict expectations that employees sell credit cards, buyer protection plans, and batteries with every transaction (in 6 reviews)

• They will tell you that they will get you to full time hours but they lie (in 5 reviews)

1. great company!

Pros

The management was great at my store! We always had a great time!

Cons

The raises were not that great, but having fun at work made up for it!

Advice to Management

Keep babies r us a fun place to work!

2. Baby Gear Sales Review

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time

Pros

Everyone was really nice. Even most of the customers. Has a very friendly vibe while working there. The only hard part is helping put furniture into peoples cars.

Cons

You have to start part time which can be bad if you need money, and you start at 7.50 an hour no exception.

Advice to Management

Still had to go into office and look at schedule, need to get with the times and be able to check online at the employees convenience.

3. Meh

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedules. There's nothing more.

Cons

No raise at all, just 19¢ every year but management gets a dollar or two, plus only 17-20 hours of labor. Only management are full time Everything else.

Advice to Management

They have changed CEO, now change stores management.

5. Good school job

Current Employee - Baby Gear Consultant in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Baby Gear Consultant in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at Babies "R" Us part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours, simple work, fair employers, easy to get supervisory experience.

Cons

Low pay with poor pay raises, 40 hours a week near impossible to obtain, corporate decisions often conflict with actual store operation.

6. Starts out great and then...

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

Pros

Been at my store 1 year and 4 months and I have little great at this job. I love the people I work with they are nice and we become a real team a family away from home. I love that. If you like working with moms to be, moms in general or those looking for a baby shower gift then this job is for you! If you are a mom props to you because the majority of women i work with are moms here. I am one of the few who is not a mom. I am grateful for this job so far because they hired me period. I had been out of work 1 year 4 months and now I've worked so far here that long. If you give enough notice you USUALLY but not always get time off or your schedule changed. Make sure you give it to the right manager.

Cons

1) Discount is 10% all the time. I hardly ever shop there I've maybe made 4 purchases and that discount is sad. Its the lowest I have ever seen for any retail job I have worked before. 2) Hours sucks. When its busy which is literally just Saturdays & Sundays you can get shifts. But during the week even if you are full open you wont get much. Shifts can be as short as 4 hours. Holidays are the only time I get a lot of hours. Even in the Summer hours are the same as they are year round. Unless some promo is getting people there (like the trade in we do in Feb and March) 3) California changed the law and now if you work 5hrs you HAVE to take a lunch. It used to be 6hrs. This sucks because I get shifts where they dont want to make me take a lunch so I work 4hrs 45mint but if I clock out anywhere past the 1 minute before my 5hr so I hit 5hrs its a bad thing for me. I know this is not a company thing but it sucks truly. 4) When its busy but they dont have enough hours you will be working like you work for several people. I have several times now a lot actually where they do not have enough people working because the store had to cut hours but it is still busy. This annoys us and the customers 5) People can be mean about their coupons and their discounts. Its annoying also to have to force people to sign up for the credit cards, protection plans and the awards. I hate credit cards its the worst not only do you have to force people to think about it but sometimes twice. And you get put down if you do not get enough cards for the week. You HAVE to ask everyone. 6) Training sucks. Most of my co-workers after me got trained right away in baby registry and guest service. I was only a cashier for almost a year before I was trained in guest service. Now I can do both. And GS is another thing all together the return policy sucks and they keep changing it. And they keep changing the coupon rules too but not telling everyone about it. 7) It is nearly impossible to get someone to help you if you need an over ride from a manager. At any given time we have 2-5 people who can help us and several times I have had to stand there waiting for 10 or more minutes and the guests looking at me like I did this when I just need help. If you need help expect to wait. And the guests to blame you. 8) If you dont know about baby products be prepared for people to not only ask you about stuff you dont understand but be upset you dont know. Then you have to ask people who do know. 9) If you are not a mom you might hate this job. I have questioned more times then I can count if I ever want kids because I know how much it costs to have them. 10) Sure you can transfer to any store in your company but they might not have the rules you have at yours. I have been stuck at my job not toys r us even if they will let me leave because I know the local toysrus is more stressing on credit cards then ours is. Its one of the big reasons I stay where I am. All and all it seems like so much happens we do not know about. They are not communicating at my store like I would like. Managers will say things changed and such about coupons or policy's but without an announcement and not all managers know about it which is right? I think the main thing we all agree with with me and my co-workers are how much we dont like working this job.

Advice to Management

Give people more hours! Especially when it is busy. Who cares if you dont have them if you are busy then you have the hours you will get it back. Train everyone on registry and guest service at least and train in all other areas as well. I feel so dumb when I cant help people out in strollers and car seats and furniture because no one trained me. Dont make us push the credit cards, protection and rewards so hard. Its too much pressure. Move people up more and talk to us if there are issues talk more to us. It would be great if everyone could also be able to over ride stuff on their own instead of making us call MOD all the time

7. hard to scrape as a college student

Pros

Nice coworkers, flexible hours, some management okay bosses

Cons

Low pay, and sometimes scheduled really low hours weekly

8. Okay for what it is

Current Employee - Registry Consultant/Front End Team Member in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Registry Consultant/Front End Team Member in Northville, MI

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work. Nice to help expecting mothers to get things they need. They really do try to get you the information you need. Mostly though computer training. Fun employees to work with at my location. They throw away amazing merchandise instead of giving them away.

Cons

No coverage! Too much pressure for what you do. It's way too busy and there are NEVER enough people. Eventually you just work yourself too much and get burnt out. If you work morning shift, work/life balance is great. Manager at northville really cares for his employees and looks out for you. Angry customers with coupon policy leads to you being cussed at, degraded, called names and dehumanized with no one to help you.

Advice to Management

CEO changed and so did the company. Change in coupon policy has made customers turn away. Advice to management? Listen to what works, and listen to the blood of your company. Without us, you have no company.

9. Ehhh

Pros

Flexible scheduling, opportunity for growth but not pay wise

Cons

Pay :| no time off during season. HAVE to work thanksgiving day

10. Eh.

Former Employee - Department Supervisor
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor

I worked at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work when not insanely busy. You meet a lot of good people and make connections. Opportunity for advancement if you are a hard worker.

Cons

Very stressful. Lots of theft from customers and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it; they don't allow you to do ANYTHING. Even department supervisors have no say in anything. I started making $7.50 and even as a department supervisor, I only make $9.38.

11. Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Fun, exciting, changes every day, learn something new all the time. Helping Mom's and Dad's with their babies is very rewarding, and I absolutely love a baby and young child, they are so much fun to interact with on a daily basis.

Cons

It's all who you work for. I've worked for many different store managers and dm's in my career here. Some are amazing, and make coming to work a lot of fun and rewarding, you are so willing to do whatever they need or want because they are respectful to you. Then there are those that make coming to work so stressful and difficult and make you want to quit and run for the doors. No consistency in the environment, the company allows these demons to continue to work for the company when they have such a negative impact to the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Check the statistics in your stores and the impact poor management has on your bottom end results. Is turn over high, guess why!!! It can't always be the staff that pulls a store down, most likely it's the leader, who 9/10 times works the least hardest and expects the impossible. Nasty messages, degrading behavior does not work. Intimidation is counter productive. Trust me, working for mild mannered, respectful managers has a positive result. I've worked in 3 environments with great boss' in my tenure here, and all 3 times, sales were up, morale was up, both management and staff were appreciated. I've worked in OK environments and I've had horrific situations, bottom line, it's ALL who you work for and the results proves it.

RSS Feed </> Embed