Babies "R" Us

Flexible scheduling, broken promises

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had another part-time job that I was committed to cultivating into a full-time career. "R" Us was understanding and flexible in allowing me to pursue that. They also recognized my skills and qualifications, and gave me a decent starting pay rate. They also offer limited health benefits to part-time employees. It isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

Cons

Toys R Us and Babies R Us have strict expectations that employees sell credit cards, buyer protection plans, and batteries with every transaction. If you don't meet your goals, your hours get cut. Also, the huge store where I worked (a full-sized Babies R Us and Toys R Us linked together) was constantly understaffed, and run by inept managers. But the worst part? I was originally offered a management position. I was given a placeholder position as an associate while they "worked everything out;" but in three years, I was never promoted. Whenever I asked about it, I was given either a line of corporate BS, or a blank stare. If you don't mind working for a disingenuous company just to pay your bills, you won't mind working for "R" Us. If you're looking to start at the bottom and climb the corporate ladder, look elsewhere.

Be more upfront with applicants about expectations regarding sales. Be clear that you're looking for skilled salespeople in all departments.

Chill Job for Summer Work

Former Employee - Back Room Team Member  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Back Room Team Member in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Managers can't yell because it would scare the babies
    - Generally relaxed more all around than other department stores

Cons

- Department store
    - Low pay for your time

Flexible hours, nice managers, but pay is not great

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  North Olmsted, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Olmsted, OH

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

managers work with you to accommodate your schedule, coworkers are generally very nice and helpful. Pleasant atmosphere. You earn vacation pay and earned time off which is nice, but no holiday pay.

Cons

They don't schedule enough employees to meet customers needs, so it can get very busy and crazy. customers need a lot of help because they are looking for specific items off registries. They are constantly resetting the floor, which takes up associate time. Raises are very minimal.

Better pay and holiday pay. don't have so many resets. Listen to your employees and managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Back of House

I have been working at Babies "R" Us part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Babies "R" Us are nice and I get along great with my Co-Workers.

Cons

Corporate has unreasonable expectations from retail employees, especially with the minimum wage and 15 cent raises every year.

Pay your employees a livable wage.

Horrible

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time for more than a year

Pros

coworkers sometimes aren't bad and flexible scheduling with short shifts for students

Cons

managers don't care...at all. very hectic and disorganized.

get an education if you don't have one already.

Horrible, tiring, not paid enough.

Former Employee - Cashier/Back of House  in  Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier/Back of House in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers became my friends

Cons

Everything from management to the tasks we had to do.

Pay your employees more.

Teens and young adults without kids beware

Former Employee - Front End Team Member
    Former Employee - Front End Team Member

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers don't really care if you're late
    No write-ups unless you do something incredibly bad
    Very laid back work environment
    Mostly Nice employees
    $7.75 cashier starting wage in PA may be either a pro or a con depending on who you are
    Decent "R" Learning program.

Cons

If you're a high school/college student or even anyone without kids apply elsewhere. They give you NO training whatsoever except for a few training videos that only explain how to keep the company out of a law suit. If you don't have kids you will have ZERO product knowledge and they just throw you out on the sales floor and hope for the best. The "R" Learning program that you'll complete over the course of your first few weeks is somewhat decent though. It helps explain what certain programs are (rewards, credit cards, BPP) but other than that you're on your own.

A large portion of my coworkers are either teen parents or older women who have all sort of given up on reaching for any sort of dreams or goals and it can be hard to work in that kind of environment, especially if you're a college student who's excited for a career in the future. Also departments like Baby Gear never have to do any real work besides walk around the floor and talk to guests but somehow they're always too busy to help on register when we get busy.

We have to push credit cards on every single guest and no one in this day and age wants one. The only people we can ever sell to are old people who don't really understand what we're selling to them. And it sucks to have to keep going alone with it when you can tell they don't know what they're doing.

Only a 10% discount on merchandise.

My managers barely know what they're doing and when you need them to help they're hard to find. Some think they're better than everyone because they've been with the company for over 5 years. People call out all the time and never get written up or even talked to about it- which can be a pro depending on which way you look at it. Managers also NEVER told any of us about new programs or sales or products. I would go into work and someone would ask me about a sale I haven't even heard of yet because our Managers don't tell us anything.

We say that we will price match items, but when another store has a price too low corporate tells us we can't. Corporate also never wants to do their jobs.

We were always understaffed and as a part time employee I got up to 30.5 hours a week when there were other people who only got 12 and easily could have worked. Or at least hire someone else to fill the position. I was always the only one at the cash register 4/7 days of the week. I always had to call for back up cashiers from other departments in the store and they're usually all busy. Then I get yelled at for not calling for help when I did but no one came when I called them.

Train your employees better than having them stand behind a team member on a cash register for one day, especially if they don't have children. Or maybe hire people who know about babies.

And hire more people when you clearly need more employees to fill certain spots.

Not the Place for an HR Professional

Former Employee - Human Resources Department Supervisor  in  Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Department Supervisor in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Babies "R" Us full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the pros of working in the HRDS role at BRU was the fixed schedule and the sense of family with the hourly associates.

Cons

Compensation is laughable! There were Department Managers doubling as key carriers with over a decade of experience getting less than 13/hour! There is no system of checks and balances when it comes to promotion and interviewing. The management spent most of their time stocking shelves instead of managing the business. As the HR Manager, you are expected to spend 85% of your time working at the baby registry desk or the cash register. The rest of the time was spent in a frenzy trying to ensure that paperwork was in legal compliance and that peer recognition programs were in place. Also, the HR function reports to the Store Manager, tainting the illusion of a pillar of objectivity. No respect from the Assistant Managers.

You may consider reforming the HRDS into a salaried business partner role. Your managers are so very much spread thin due to the non-existent payroll budget that important issues like driving morale, succession planning, training/development and the administration of fair and effective discipline are thrown to the wayside. You only have one or two competitors in the baby market. Try putting the cart before the horse to get ahead of the competition.

It would be less than a Star if I could

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to see adorable babies

Cons

Everything from some of the employees to all of management and above. Will not pay employees what they are worth. Gives employees bad reviews so they don't have to give raises.

At least act like you care. If you suck the whole company sucks.

"No room for advancement!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Babies "R" Us part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Enjoy working with my co workers, but that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start? When I worked at a previous location I loved working there, mostly because I was a supervisor and was treated with respect. Then when I transferred to my current location it was a totally different atmosphere, I was promised a supervisor position as soon as one became available. But 4 years later I'm still waiting, and there have been NUMEROUS supervisor positions available. If you're just a Team Member you get NO RESPECT, but if you're a supervisor then you get all the respect. Management and Supervisors are nothing but a joke!! The ASM comes into work when she feels like it, not when she's scheduled. Back of House Supervisor does NOTHING and expects everyone to do his job for him, the new Store Manager hides in the office all day doing nothing. And all the times I've contacted corporate and filed complaints NOTHING has been done. This is a HORRIBLE company to work for, and I wouldn't recommend this company to NO ONE!!!!

Fire all current managers and supervisors, then start fresh. I don't know about other locations but my store needs a good housecleaning when it comes to management.

Worked for Babies "R" Us? Contribute to the Community!