Babies "R" Us Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Antonio Urcelay

Pros
  • flexible hours, Always make sure you get your lunch breaks (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits for full-time employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Toys R Us and Babies R Us have strict expectations that employees sell credit cards, buyer protection plans, and batteries with every transaction (in 6 reviews)

• They will tell you that they will get you to full time hours but they lie (in 5 reviews)

1. Great Potential

Current Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, dedicated teams and leaders. Focus on customers. Real-time metrics. Committed to improvements. Great business to be in, working with mom's and young families.

Cons

Micromanaging by senior leadership. Limited resources to achieve objectives. Unrealistic timelines for projects. HQ doesn't look strategically at objectives and demands, so everything becomes urgent and it is difficult to achieve the important.

2. Store receiving specailist

I have been working at Babies "R" Us

Pros

Helps mold you to take on anything in the retail industry.

Cons

-$$$ really sucks when the company is broke

3. Working in the baby super store

I worked at Babies "R" Us

Pros

-good benefits
    -fun atmosphere to work in
    -interview process was easy and friendly
    -nice associates

Cons

-not easy to advance even though one was showing ambition and drive
    -pay was decent
    -lot more responsibilities for the amount of pay
    -manager relationships did have favoritism

5. Sales Associate

I worked at Babies "R" Us

Pros

10% discount that I only ever used for snacks. But I suppose it would come in handy for people that need to buy things for a baby.

Cons

There were not enough employees so I mostly worked the only open cash register. The customers were rude and the management was rude. And SOOOOO many coupons.

6. Sales Associate

I worked at Babies "R" Us

Pros

Good work environment very helpful and flexible, best retail job i ever had.

Cons

Not great pay to start off with but over that s it

Advice to Management

Upgrade Pay and be straight foward with associates

7. Team Member

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative

I worked at Babies "R" Us part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have prior customer service experience it is easier to adjust to the crap you deal with at BRU.

It's also a paying job (bi-weekly checks).

You can make people happy occasionally.

Cons

Management never is around to help. You can hear everyone's business over the walkie because it echoes throughout the store. Guests often complain to me that they can hear everything over the walkie. Guests have also asked me why my supervisor is rude to me. If you're hired for one position don't expect to stay there. I was hired for apparel but never got to even train there. The store is heavily outdated and the parking lot has pot holes that threaten to actually cause damage to cars.

The only focus the store manager has is to get guests to buy more than that they came in for and to shove the rewards program and/or credit card down the guests throat. Most people cannot open a card, and the team members get degraded for not signing guests up. A manager at the store I worked at would ask if the guest would want the card, and if they said no she would ask again and include more information about it even if they continually say no. This is harassment. You cannot force people to do anything. Once I hear "no" I do not push. It's a common courtesy to be good to your customers; not make them hate you!

Hours were steady and now they are skimpy. I have to support myself and I cannot support myself off 10 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Please ask your team members how they think they can improve the shopping experience. Do not be so uptight on the dress code; it's a part time job, not a college prep high school. Do not sound irritated when you speak to your team members, they are trying their best, and they are going to need your help. After all that's YOUR JOB. The metrics are not important, stop treating them like they're all that matter. The guests matter.

If I were an expecting mom I would avoid this chain like the plague. I have seen more screwed up furniture orders and dissatisfied guests than happy ones. The way I've been customers be treated makes me never want to be a customer myself!

Managers have taken back play yards and other equipment that have been used and put them back out for sale instead of having them be set for RGD. The customer goes home to find a destroyed item. In my experience the item smelled like urine, was ripped all around, and was completely broken, and the manager on duty put the item back out for sale. The next day, the play yard sold. The day after they came back, as they should, trying to return the product for its obvious problems. It's embarrassing to be a part of a company that is more concerned with the money than the quality of the product they are putting out.

Another thing that I find sketchy is the fact that returned formula and baby food can now be put back on the shelves. In my experience at food stores precious to BRU, it is illegal to sell food that has been returned. I'm wondering if BRU is actually breaking the law. Knowing that food can be returned and put back makes me nervous to ever buy food from this company for children of my own.

8. Babies R Us Manager

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) There's still so much opportunity that it makes our job interesting and fun
    2) Depending on your Boss and Team you work for, the culture could be fun and entrepreneurial
    3) Summer Friday are awesome!

Cons

1) The company went form an Agile culture to more of a Waterfall culture
    2) Things that can be done in days now takes so long due to having to go through so much bureaucracy
    3) Too many Directors and VP's and less A & B level help so all teams feel as if they are spread thin
    4) Health benefits are not that great

Advice to Management

1) Hire less Directors and VP's. Instead hire more A and B level positions so data quality is not sacrificed and execution can be done thoroughly and efficiently with accountability.

2) Have clear set roles & responsibilities instead of multiple teams stepping on one another.

9. Okay - Not long term

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits - Time off, time compensation

Cons

Non-structured company, operations are out of date - company cannot overcome

Advice to Management

Don't settle for anything less than a Store Manager position. Don't end up working for managers that have been with this company for a long time. There is no vision, and no support to move forward. Regional Managers don't listen to any ideas, are too afraid to suggest changes to corporate, and very often contradict company policies in attempt to make sales goals.

10. Team Member

I have been working at Babies "R" Us

Pros

Flexible schedule, opportunity for growth in the company

Cons

Stepping stone for better jobs

11. Lots of Crap, Little Good

Current Employee - Team Member in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Babies "R" Us part-time

Pros

The other Team Members and most of the management staff are good to work with.

Cons

1) Pay is crappy and if you are part time, you are lucky to get many hours at all.
    2) Ideas come down from "on high" that have no basis in reality, but we have to put them into effect because that's what we're told to do.
    3) Short staffing means jobs cannot be completed until they become emergencies.

Advice to Management

Before implementing a new plan or policy, think about how it will affect the store and the employees. I've lost count of how many "new ideas" have been put in place that make my job harder, or just plain do not work.

RSS Feed </> Embed