BackOffice Associates Reviews

David Booth

1. BAckOffice is a challenging work environment with excellent wages

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work on the coolest clients who ar some of th elargest companies in the world with people that are real rock stars in their field (data)

Cons

If you are a consultant you need to travel most weeks which is offset by great pay but being on the road can be hard

2. Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Support
    Current Employee - Support

I have been working at BackOffice Associates

Pros

Friendly environment, growth opportunities, company engagement.

Cons

Product is hard to learn

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. If you don't get job anywhere, work in McDonnalds but not BOA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Bible studies (if you can understand sarcasm)

Cons

Very religious people with small town mentality. No respect or appreciation for diversity.

Immature Management Team

Current Employee - Massachusetts in South Harwich, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in South Harwich, MA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn new things since there is an inadequate infrastructure. Coworkers across teams are great people and wonderful to work with. Pay and benefits were good.

Cons

Undefined career path, boilerplate HR system, consistently felt unheard due to inability to recognize individual achievement. Lack of direction and focus on the big picture. Resources and time are consistently wasted due to lack of foresight. Extensive layoffs have occurred in the last year that were swept under the rug with no explanation despite questioning the management. Management at all levels has created a culture of distrust.

Advice to Management

The company needs to place a focus on training the management team to be professional and guide their teams effectively. A closer look at project success and failure needs to be accounted for to avoid wasted time and resources.

Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Migration Consultant in South Harwich, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Migration Consultant in South Harwich, MA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- the compensation model (for the most part)
    - get to engage with some of the most intelligent people in the industry

Cons

Company lacks organizational infrastucture, sense of direction, recruitment and retention models and emplores many under handed and shady business practices which adversely affect morale and trust.

Advice to Management

The employees knows what is happening internally as many execs have left and are continuing to do so and know that there is no end game in sight. We would be more willing to help if management was just honest.

Nice at first during the honeymoon phase - but watch out for the divorce when you try to leave

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice compensation if you're able to stay staffed on projects. Nice migration toolset. Some really talented people in the company.

Cons

Sales people compensated on license sales. Services are undersold to close deals, and this makes delivery a challenge. Because of underselling services, you are forced to work with the "average and available" instead of the "best and the brightest". Clear deception on status of bench. Difficult to leave the company because of the non-compete. You begin to feel like a runaway in hiding after leaving.

Advice to Management

Loose the arrogance and get back to basics. Announcing some new partnership with SAP or with other companies is fine, but people are really looking for the benefits of these partnerships. From the outside, it doesn't look like these partnerships are beneficial to the company. Especially with layoffs happening. Also look at your overhead and bloated executive salaries for non value added positions. Your customers do not want to pay your rates anymore, and there are many competitors our there that are taking your business.

8. Great methodology and expertise, but in transition

Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here for many years as an SAP data migration consultant. I truly believe that BackOffice's approach to data migration and governance is the best approach to ensure business ready data. I think you learn a lot of valuable skills here that go far beyond how to write a SQL statement in terms of approach to solving problems and not taking short cuts. Most of the consultants are extremely dedicated to the success of our approach and constantly improving it.

The company is in transition, with new software and leadership, which I think has rocked the boat for some people, but I feel confident we are heading the right direction. The compensation model is a percentage of rate, consultants being paid for every hour the client is billed.

Cons

Consultants are "employees" getting a 1040, but really a contractor. The 401K match, health insurance etc are all paid out by the consultant. Work really depends on the client you are assigned to, and it can be very demanding. 80+ hour weeks can be normal depending on the client. BackOffice doesn't have any control over your work environment on the client site, but it is pretty clear what kind of project you are getting into at the outset.

Advice to Management

Need a better way to determine career path. I like not being shoe horned into levels but it's difficult to know if you are truly advancing.

9. Great Consultants, Limited support from head office

Current Employee - Project Lead in South Harwich, MA
    Current Employee - Project Lead in South Harwich, MA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The consultants are typically the best in the industry and a pleasure to work with. The pay is well above the market average which makes up for the lack of other benefits. If you are ambitious and don't mind a lot of long hours and hard work then you can go really far.

Cons

The company continues to go through a lot of growing pains and still doesn't have the infrastructure in the front office to provide the support needed for its consultants. Sales have been stagnant the past few years and many people have been on the bench for extended periods of time. This is an issue when there is no compensation if you are not billable on a client. Have had a lot of turnover in the sales team.

Advice to Management

Provide more support for the consulting force to improve career development and training. Work on improving one thing before moving to the next rather than trying to fix everything at once. Been hearing the excuse of "growing pains" for too many years without anything actually being implemented that helps.

Disillusioned with Management

Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant
    Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BackOffice had a great toolset and cutting edge technology. Consultants could solve real world problems for clients quickly and effectively. Consultants were respected and we were well rewarded for our efforts. Customers would continue our engagements for 2-3 year time frames because of the value we could create with our tools and methodologies.

Cons

The change over in Management over the last 3 years has stripped the company of everything we stood for with our customers and the employees. Our compensation plans have greatly suffered and we see the money now flowing to a bloated management team that kowtows to SAP and leaves our customers out in the cold.

Advice to Management

The Board should seriously consider overhauling the management from top to bottom if they want to save the company. It may be too late but the company cannot survive with the current leadership in place. They have no new ideas, they have forgotten all the values that made us great and employees are leaving left and right. The atmosphere is very difficult to work in with a constant flow of negativity.

BackOffice Experience

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time

Pros

Best place to work, if you love data and travel. Work can be demanding but very rewarding. Great team of employees who are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Project opportunities around the world, with fantastic support staff making travel much easier.

Cons

As a consultant limited advancement. Need more training opportunities.
    Limited visibility to company goals and plans.