BackOffice Associates

Updated September 12, 2014
3.4

BackOffice Associates President & CEO David Booth
David Booth

Great methodology and expertise, but in transition

Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here for many years as an SAP data migration consultant. I truly believe that BackOffice's approach to data migration and governance is the best approach to ensure business ready data. I think you learn a lot of valuable skills here that go far beyond how to write a SQL statement in terms of approach to solving problems and not taking short cuts. Most of the consultants are extremely dedicated to the success of our approach and constantly improving it.

The company is in transition, with new software and leadership, which I think has rocked the boat for some people, but I feel confident we are heading the right direction. The compensation model is a percentage of rate, consultants being paid for every hour the client is billed.

Cons

Consultants are "employees" getting a 1040, but really a contractor. The 401K match, health insurance etc are all paid out by the consultant. Work really depends on the client you are assigned to, and it can be very demanding. 80+ hour weeks can be normal depending on the client. BackOffice doesn't have any control over your work environment on the client site, but it is pretty clear what kind of project you are getting into at the outset.

Need a better way to determine career path. I like not being shoe horned into levels but it's difficult to know if you are truly advancing.

Great Consultants, Limited support from head office

Current Employee - Project Lead in South Harwich, MA
    Current Employee - Project Lead in South Harwich, MA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The consultants are typically the best in the industry and a pleasure to work with. The pay is well above the market average which makes up for the lack of other benefits. If you are ambitious and don't mind a lot of long hours and hard work then you can go really far.

Cons

The company continues to go through a lot of growing pains and still doesn't have the infrastructure in the front office to provide the support needed for its consultants. Sales have been stagnant the past few years and many people have been on the bench for extended periods of time. This is an issue when there is no compensation if you are not billable on a client. Have had a lot of turnover in the sales team.

Provide more support for the consulting force to improve career development and training. Work on improving one thing before moving to the next rather than trying to fix everything at once. Been hearing the excuse of "growing pains" for too many years without anything actually being implemented that helps.

Disillusioned with Management

Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant
    Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BackOffice had a great toolset and cutting edge technology. Consultants could solve real world problems for clients quickly and effectively. Consultants were respected and we were well rewarded for our efforts. Customers would continue our engagements for 2-3 year time frames because of the value we could create with our tools and methodologies.

Cons

The change over in Management over the last 3 years has stripped the company of everything we stood for with our customers and the employees. Our compensation plans have greatly suffered and we see the money now flowing to a bloated management team that kowtows to SAP and leaves our customers out in the cold.

The Board should seriously consider overhauling the management from top to bottom if they want to save the company. It may be too late but the company cannot survive with the current leadership in place. They have no new ideas, they have forgotten all the values that made us great and employees are leaving left and right. The atmosphere is very difficult to work in with a constant flow of negativity.

BackOffice Experience

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time

Pros

Best place to work, if you love data and travel. Work can be demanding but very rewarding. Great team of employees who are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Project opportunities around the world, with fantastic support staff making travel much easier.

Cons

As a consultant limited advancement. Need more training opportunities.
    Limited visibility to company goals and plans.

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Norwalk, OH
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Norwalk, OH

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Norwalk DataFactory is a relaxed, fun work environment with fantastic management and co-workers. 3 weeks of vacation time from the start, and decent medical/401k benefits.

Cons

The overall company structure is deeply flawed, limiting advancement opportunities. On-site consultants are degrading and training is vastly insufficient for expected work skills. Pay scale is approx 4:1 between traveling consultants and DataFactory workers.

Develop a clear path to advancement, clearly define the role of DataFactory analysts to on-site consultants, and lessen the disparity in pay scale.

Great Company

Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Migration Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work and approach to data.

Cons

Salesforce struggles to explain what we can do.

Compensate the consulting leaders and staff for sales efforts.

Not for ambitious people

Former Employee - Data Migration Consultant in Norwalk, OH
    Former Employee - Data Migration Consultant in Norwalk, OH

I worked at BackOffice Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job safety, no need to do a whole lot of work, very slow and calm environment . Good place to start your career.

Cons

If you want to raise your family in a small town its a perfect company for you. There are not a whole lot of opportunities to grow and gain more knowledge. You pretty much know their software and thats about it. If you ever plan to change jobs, you have to learn everything from scratch. This job won't be helpful at all.

Let ambitious people grow, give them some space to grow.

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BackOffice Associates

Pros

SAP Data Migration leader; excellent pay

Cons

Travel to client site; road warrior

Worked at BackOffice for over five years. Left when it was apparent that management didn't understand the business.

I worked at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working with SAP software, like working with Data, and enjoy using the best tools, and don't mind the Consulting/Road Warrior lifestyle then BackOffice Associates is your company.
    Their annual Tech Ed conference is an excellent way of networking with your colleagues and finding out about what is going on in the company.
    When you do a great job delivering, your clients really love you.
    They (used to) hire the best and brightest people, so you have the opportunity to learn from the best.
    The (used to) charge a premium for their Consultants because of their unrivalled track-record in delivery, and share that income with the workforce.

Cons

It's sink or swim; if you expect people to give you all the answers, you are going to sink; you need to be energetic and persistent in your work;
    Headquarters has historically been a big dysfunctional family. You have to learn how to play politics if you need to get action from headquarters.
    if you land on a project with an inexperienced Lead, you are going to find it tough to be successful!
    Beware of the snakes outside the USA who make promises they know they won't keep, and bite you when you call them out on their 'promises'.

Pre-investment there was only one company value: "Let's all make money". Post-buyout the value has changed to "Let's help management make money". This explains the reason that so many of the foundation employees have moved on. Everyone who remains knows that their compensation is heading downwards, but they know that management compensation will not.

Management's decision to cozy up to SAP is clearly driven by Management's need to get a return on the investment. But the whole approach to dropping products, re-branding products and kneeling at the foot of SAP may be the death knell of the company. If customers are happy with SAP tools, why are they going to pay a premium for BackOffice tools? It's a difficult sell, and 2013 new sales tell that story.

Back office Executive

Current Employee - Back Office Assocites in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Back Office Assocites in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at BackOffice Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hardworking & give my best

Cons

working from last 7 yrs

hardworking