Backcountry.com

Updated December 10, 2014
2.7

Backcountry.com CEO Jill Layfield
Jill Layfield

Pros
  • benefits, such as gear discounts, prodeals and discount resort passes were nice (in 24 reviews)

• The work/life balance on the engineering team is healthy and fair in my opinion (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management among the warehouse (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay unless they recruited you from a fancier company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

I worked at Backcountry.com

Pros

Good discount on gears.
    Good work environment for engineers.
    Also technical teams are very good. Newly renovated office. Not very demanding in terms of work, easily manageable time schedule.

Cons

Management is not up to the mark. Upto the product manager people are competent and nice. Other than that Not much to be honest.

Don't think only few people work. Each employee is important.

eh

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers, discounts, ability to find climbing/skiing/running partners. If you know the right people the job is fun. Some new initiatives in the company are exciting but I don't think they will be followed through. I appreciate efforts to improve things around here lately, but it still seems like the blind leading the blind.

Cons

Upper level management is weak, company has no direction.
    Software and interface systems are embarrassing. functions required daily in my position have been broken for 5+ years with no fix in sight.
    Work-arounds and the fixes provided by management are mickey mouse at best.
    no communication between three main branches of the company. Corporate, Customer Service, and Distribution. Everyone is working to meet their own goals without a concern for other departments

relate to your employees. consider offering some sort of bonus, company party, public appreciation of your employees. Strive to pay more than just the low end of average. There are at least 4 other call centers and numerous warehouse in the area that pay more/better benefits. I still am holding onto the hope that backcountry hasn't lost it's soul, but it's getting harder to stick around.

Awesome place to work!!

Former Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back environment and mgmt is easy to work for.

Cons

Technology department has little room for advancement.

Great company for start.

Former Employee - Tester
    Former Employee - Tester

I worked at Backcountry.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are starting your career, you get to learn alot.

Cons

No future for testers like me in this company

Don't believe the hype

Current Employee - Gearhead in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Gearhead in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gear discounts, ski passes, chill work environment, work-life balance is good, encouraged to get out and use gear and enjoy outdoors for better insight about gear

Cons

Constant, consistent website issues, no CRM, clique-y management, high turnover, badly executed ideas, feedback and ideas not taken into serious consideration unless you are part of the clique, coaching and training is not up to par, customer experience and employee experience ruined by issues that mar the website. I feel like the values and ideals of this company are being dissolved and dismantled in the name of corporate profits, which directly effects morale and the employee experience, then passes on to the customer experience. So many website issues that 8/10 of my contacts are because of them instead of suggesting gear and helping with orders which is the job I signed up for, not tech support.

Fix the website once an issue is known ASAP, seriously, I have been dealing with the same stupid problems every day for months. Invest more into your programmers instead of stupid investments like office remodels and yurts YURTS! Not having a CRM and trying to invest in the value of your CS employees is so counter intuitive its ridiculous. Take the quotes away from office on the landing page for jobs, the CS office is a very large area full of cubicles and computer terminals, it is an office, not an "office". Its like trying to bill the company as Google when the ideas, execution and development is more on par with AOL. Stop acting like it is such a privilege to work here when the reality is that it is not marginally different from any call center job. You are going to start losing more and more talent as these tech issues become more and more stagnant unless you take action and treat back end issues as the serious problem they are

Good company, lots of potential

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working here a few years already and my experience has been positive. I've had the chance to work on a variety of projects so most of the time I have been challenged to go the extra mile, which not necessarily meant working extra hours.
    People that deserved promotions IMO got them. Company is small/mid size so there is chance to make a bigger impact. Great gear discounts. My manager has been available to help and listen when I required so.
    Chances to grow within, as well as opportunities to innovate. Pay rate is standard IMO.
    Good facilities to work on. Unlimited vacations.
    As the company transitions to become more competitive, I believe there is a lot of potential to become a better organization. There is people capable of doing good stuff. You'll likely find someone to learn from and grow.

Cons

The company is trying to evolve, as there is way more competition, so there are priority shifts that could affect people's motivation. As in other organizations, you need to be good at adapting to change.

Stability at strategy to reduce unnecessary bumps and refocus efforts.

Solid company with great heritage; facing typical industry headwinds and rediscovering its identity

Former Employee - Director in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think it's important to take any review on Glassdoor with a grain of salt. There are useful nuggets here, but also some overblown opinions. Sites like this typically cater to people looking to complain, so reader beware.

I enjoyed my time at Backcountry. I found it to be a great learning experience and I met a lot of great people in the process. I was exposed to interesting challenges and opportunities and was given ample opportunity to grow and develop. Additional specific pros include:

- Work/life balance; powder mornings and lunchtime rides are for real; did I have regular periods of time where I was working long hours? Sure. But that is bound to happen anywhere. For the most part, given the culture and type of employee that Backcountry attracts, as long as I was getting it done, I had plenty of opportunities to really use the gear we sold. You'd be hard pressed to find a better work/life balance than at Backcountry.

- Gear discount; duh. Of course this is a huge pro...unless you can't control your spending.

- Inflection point in business; as the company continues to evolve, there will continue to be ample opportunity to be part of interesting challenges and solutions. This obviously increases risk, but will create even more opportunities for exposure, experience, and growth.

- People; I developed a lot of life-long friendships with folks at Backcountry. Were there people I didn't care for? Sure, but they were few and far between. You're going to get that anywhere at a company of Backcountry's size. However, I found that for the most part, the people I interacted with were genuinely interested in me, my life, my family, and my development.

Cons

Again, I think it's important for readers to realize that there are different types of "cons" - those that the business brings on itself, and those that are broader systemic industry "cons". The former can and should be cured by the business and its leadership while the latter is a bit tougher. In Backcountry's case, there are probably some of both. First, the broader systemic cons:

- 3rd party ecommerce; tough world to play in as Amazon continues to take over the world. Retail margins are thin to begin with, and when you add a third party to the mix, that pressure is felt even more acutely. Backcountry is a profitable business, but with increased competition - from Amazon and from vendors (who use to send customers to Backcountry) - operating efficiently will continue to be of paramount importance.

- Predicting the weather; obviously impossible. Backcountry isn't the only business to feel this pain. It's the nature of the world in which Backcountry operates. Almost all businesses in the Outdoor market are faced with adapting to really strong or really soft winters. I guess performing annual snow dances might help?

- Competition and consumer conditioning; more and more competitors continue to appear in the Outdoor market, which will make it tougher and tougher to drive traffic and customers. Additionally, as customers become ever more conditioned to look for only the best price, differentiating your business becomes more difficult.

And a couple cons the business can address:

- Difficult environment in which to innovate; like it or not, Backcountry is growing into a larger business; this can make innovation difficult. While business performance can often help/hinder the ability to innovate, Backcountry needs to be cognizant of this and be willing to make bets on market-leading innovation.

- Overly reactionary/shiny object syndrome; knee-jerk reactions are tough to keep in check. Stick to your guns more often. The business has smart people helping to build its strategy. Trust it and stay focused. Easier said than done, but recognizing when the business is taking its eye of the ball will prove valuable.

- Historical lack of accountability; many passion-based business suffer from this. Culture change can be difficult and when you've got a business that historically attracted people who just wanted to be close to the activities they participated in, more than compete and win as a business, the battle is an uphill one. I think the organization is taking the right initial steps to address this.

- Continue to address the concerns mentioned above;

- Be more thoughtful about career development and employee recognition; actions around these areas end up being very large statements to the rest of the organization. This goes for both positive and negative examples.

- Operate according to your core principles/lead by example; make sure principles are clear, the team is transparent, and actions are aligned with principles, such that there is no confusion as to what is expected and what gets punished/rewarded.

Mismanaged to the extreme

I have been working at Backcountry.com

Pros

Not much, honestly. The flexible schedule and the discounts would be foremost in my mind, but they hardly make up for the negatives

Cons

Terrible management. Bringing in people from other large organizations that don't do what Backcountry does and putting them in C-level positions.

Definitely Improving

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Camaraderie and morale are definitely improving

Leadership has made real efforts to give people career paths, make them feel appreciated, and build trust

Nice office, amazing discount, you get to live in Park City, ability to get outside during the day if you can find time

Cons

Company is way behind in a lot of areas.

Workload is still very heavy. Laid off a lot of people and there is a lot of work to do. Not a 40 hour a week job - more like 50+.

Bonuses/stock etc are non existent or meaningless.

You will continue to lose great people if you don't increase comPensation Salaries are low (even for Utah).

Great company to work for from 2006-2013. Hiring new upper management, started laying tons of loyal people off in 2014.

Current Employee - Product Data Analyst in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Data Analyst in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount on TONS of gear from hundreds of brands at Wholesale +10%. Gold passes to ski resorts, 401K with company matching, Insurance, Pro-deals, flexible time in Park City. Great work environment. Company ski days. CEO is awesome and is making good decisions for the company, but bad decisions for the employees.

Cons

New upper management making huge changes, getting rid of tons of original employees who helped make the company what it is today just to make a better bottom line. Backcountry was super awesome when it was it's own company, but is quickly becoming more corporate and less caring of it's employees. I definitely learned a lot while working for BC, but am ready to move on to bigger and better things.

Care about your employees and give them the compensation they deserve. Quit laying off loyal employees just to put more money in your pockets. Stay true to the original Backcountry culture. It's not all about Throughput #'s, but a balance between accuracy and getting it done. Quit focusing on how much extra money is going into your pockets and focus on compensating the employees who are actually doing the work to make the money for the company.

Backcountry.com Photos