Backstage Library Works

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John T. Merrill

Good small company. Not a big corporation environment.

ProsIntegrity. Transparency. You know whether the company is doing well or not months before it affects you in bonuses or lay offs. President talks to employees. Steady work. Good benefits for company this size. Flexible schedule in some departments.

ConsDepending on department, limited opportunity to advance. Several long term employees maxed on salary caps with nowhere to go. Expectations are not always clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train your low level managers and team leads to give more opportunity to move up.

Good for the short term, but a bad choice for a long-term career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Provo, UT

ProsFlexibility. Benefits. If you're young, you will probably do well at this company for awhile.

ConsIncompetent managers and team leaders. Toxic work environment. Lots of drama, lots of employee gossip. Terrible communication from those in charge will cause problems with the work you do, and you'll get the blame for it. Very poor work environment. I saw this company discriminate against some of my coworkers with health problems, and they lost their jobs over it. They also at one point got rid of many of their lower level, older employees who were over the age of 38, so there was some discrimination there as well. This company only favors youth when it comes to promotions as well. Certain departments are struggling, so your job may only be temporary as the work runs out.

Could be a great company if there was some training for upper level management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of great people to work with. Flexible schedules. Easy work.

ConsBoring. Drab. Everyone is in their own world. Hardly any communication between departments. Absolutely NO training for management positions. All hiring is done from within, which is a good thing sometimes, but no training is available for the newly promoted people. Also, the owner is a micromanaging, defensive, and hyper-sensitive contemptible person. His holier-and-better-than-thou attitude stifles the growth of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake training available for your management level staff. Make work more enjoyable and encourage involvement in new ideas and products. Don't yell at people or talk down to them. Get involved with your staff without micromanaging them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Management

Technician (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsLow pay (Lower than a comparable company doing the same work)
    Illegal hiring practices
    Condescending management/supervisors
    Having to ask to use washroom instead of being treated like adults
    Forced to work up to the minute then spend time putting away materials that isn't paid for (illegal btw)
    No flexibility in scheduling

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your managers through more training. They may be a nightmare for your HR department and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It was very brief...was laid off after a company takeover

Bethlehem, PA

ProsSmall company, direct access to leadership, had a fresh perspective on the business that we were in,

ConsHealth insurance went in toilet, threatened large pay cuts and our salaries were at their ceiling leaving little room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey lost a lot of people due to their threat of cutting salaries and benefits when they took over. That really was not a cool way to introduce yourself and make a fresh start only to find out you didn't follow through on what you said you would do. How about being more honest next time.

Backstage

Provo, UT

ProsStable employment, worthwhile service (we help libraries.) For the most part management values employees and their efforts. Very flexible scheduling for work hours. Good benefits (health insurance) for a small company.

ConsSomewhat low pay -- due to the kind of clients we deal with (libraries.) Not a lot of opportunities for advancement -- the company is not really growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes this is too library-like. Shake things up a bit? Recognize poor performance adn eliminate it.

Surprisingly satisfying

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility, integrity, benefits, people, communication

ConsRoom for growth is lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Backstage is the only company I have worked with where they treat their employees with respect and reward them.

Data Technician (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and the benefits are good. They are flexible with the hours you work. For instance if you need to come in late due to a poor night, then you can without having to get permission. As long as you're working your required hours you can come and go as you please. They reward their employees with pay raises, bonuses, and other small rewards. They make sure to involve employees in decisions that will affect them.

ConsYou have to take a half hour lunch, even if you don't want to. And it's a desk job so you sit a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that they do a good job. They are generous in bonuses and giving back to the employees. They realize that the employees are the ones who give them their bread and butter.

Worked for Backstage Library Works? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Backstage Library Works reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Backstage Library Works CEO John T. Merrill. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Backstage Library Works employees.