Badger Meter

Updated August 21, 2014
3.6

Badger Meter Chairman, President, and CEO Richard A. Meeusen
Richard A. Meeusen

One of the best manufacturing companies in Milwaukee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Badger Meter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Badger Meter lives up to the excellent reputation it has in the Milwaukee community. It is dedicated to having a positive work environment for its employees and the communication between upper management and the rest of the company is amazing. All changes are communicated promptly. Management works well together with all employees. CEO is very outspoken but that is a great thing! He doesn't expect people to agree with what he says and gives employees plenty of opportunity to speak up if they do disagree with something. Very open door policy here.

Cons

I haven't been here long enough to know for sure, but like many companies of this size, I'm not sure there is much opportunity for advancement, but they make up for that with training and other education programs that are available.

Keep up the open communication, it is great!

Had a good run...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Badger Meter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great people to work with. If you are young and out of college, this is the company for you - lot's of potential opportunities there.

Cons

The pay and benefits at Badger Meter are fairly low if you are shopping around. Also don't expect a ticker tape parade when you leave after long term employment. Feel they could recognize and appreciate their long term employees better.

Great Work/Life Balance and Culture

I have been working at Badger Meter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, including tuition reimbursement and a new fitness reimbursement program. The company is very supportive in regards to development opportunities, whether it be classes, seminars, or degree programs.

The work-life balance provided in my position is phenomenal. My team is readily available to take over when one of us is out sick or on vacation.

Upper-management is very approachable and visible. Previous reviews indicate that the CEO is very outspoken (1000% true), but I would much rather have a bold personality than someone stuffy and unapproachable. Management often takes time to be active in the community, speaking and being at many school and career events.

Cons

Like most mid-sized companies, growth/advancement opportunities are lacking, purely due to the size of the company. There are advancement opportunities in some areas, but a promotion may not happen as quickly as some would like. They do a good job of communicating this to you before you start, so you have a realistic outlook of your career with the company.

On the same note, entry level positions are rare, so most interns find positions outside of the company after graduation.

Accountability is key. If someone makes a mistake: own up to it, learn from it, and move on.

Decisions could be made in a more timely manner. If you're going to tell somebody 'no', then say so!

Great company to work for

I have been working at Badger Meter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Company, Bosses are generous with work life balance. Feel trusted to make the right decisions and supported by my boss. There is a true feeling of community - great employee programs. Reasonably priced cafeteria with healthy choices.

Cons

There really aren't any cons worth noting. Worked for many companies and this one is pretty good. If anything, I don't care for working in cubicles.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

Too much red-tape/politics, wasteful spending, apathy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Badger Meter as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Some good people, the industry is pretty stable

Cons

-Pay
    -Change doesn't happen...there is a lot of red-tape and corporate politics that get in the way of getting things done.
    -Many people who have been there a while don't want to cooperate with other teams and do the bare minimum for their job
    -There is a lot of wasteful spending, just because they've always done it this way. No one cares about taking 5 or 10 minutes to look at other vendors and save hundreds or thousands of dollars.
    -Upper management treats employees like children, there isn't much respect. I didn't work in the factory, but they are very disliked by upper management (who would prefer those jobs be in Mexico)
    -CEO is a very outspoken, and it can be embarrassing to work for him sometimes

Treat your employees like they are adults and give them some respect. The distrust really makes the company culture unappealing.

A Great Place to go to Retire

I have been working at Badger Meter

Pros

Good Benefits: 401(k) and Pension. Reasonable health insurance.
    Work Life Flexibility
    A lot of people have made 40-year careers at Badger and seem to love it.

Cons

Decisions can be made very slowly if at all.
    Middle managers subvert / delay / distort senior management decisions
    Change can seem to be next to impossible to discuss much less implement

Bring in new blood in sales - raise expectations.
    Listen to and trust subject-matter experts.
    Get more of the story from more sources. It's very difficult to get from drive-by's and handshakes.

They are OK to work for but you will be overwhelmed with the work load.

Current Employee - Tooling Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Tooling Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Badger Meter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are a steady employer. We are given average wages benefits. We are allowed to try new methods and have the newest technology.

Cons

They will not allow any overtime and the workload just keeps getting worse. The middle manager is a will not share any information with you unless it is something you need to know. He takes credit for my ideas and will monopolize the meetings.

OK, but not the greatest

I worked at Badger Meter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are okay; pay is not the best

Cons

management needs an overhaul and improvement

Great company and people, slow work pace.

I worked at Badger Meter full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to work in, good culture, friendly people. Safe place to work, very few people are ever let go.

Profitable and steady growth. Slow paced (could be good or bad depending on your preference).

Many people have been here for 10, 20 years or more.

Cons

Slow paced (could be good or bad depending on your preference). Lacking in technology tools and IS systems.

I enjoy who I work for and what I do.

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Badger Meter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

longevity, Not only has the company been around for a long time, but when people choose to work here, they choose to stay.

Cons

Just like longevity is a pro, it is also a con. Since they have so many people who have been working here for so long, sometimes it is difficult to get new ideas or changes made. However, that is starting to change.

Badger Meter Photos