Badgeville Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.4

Jon Shalowitz
1 Rating

Just had a great quarter. Moved into a new office with great downtown location

Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Badgeville full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible when it comes to work; as long as the deadlines are met youre free to do as you please. They have a foosball table, ping pong table, and a giant kitchen that always has lots of food and drinks, not to mention providing lunch Monday Wednesday and Friday , caltrain rides, and a gym membership. New CEO has made sure we are all on the same page with all-hands meetings and lunch announcements. Honestly, despite the tough transition period the last few quarters I feel better now about the company and the product after talking with other departments and seeing their confidence as well. We just signed some big customers Amex, CDW and Walgreens last quarter and are going after new customers in different verticals, and promotions were handed out as well. Good to know some of the uncertainty is shedded now that we are in land and expand mode. The new office is great and easy to commute from caltrain. The previous office was in more of an isolated corporate complex, and this place definitely gives us a start-up edgy feel. I just like the fact that its easier to meet people at a coffee shop within walking distance.

Cons

Sometimes hours are long and a bit demanding. The environment definitely reflects the company, still trying to put some processes together. There are no cubicles or separate spaces so sometimes it might be a bit loud for someone sensitive to noise.

theres never a problem with over-communicating and getting everybody on the same page, always always keep the employees, staff in a loop.

companies different now, some of these reviews are outdated

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Badgeville full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From what I can see, these earlier reviews are under Comee and Duggan, NOT for Shalowitz. I mean it’s true, there were days during the transition where I’d go home wondering what this place was thinking, but it was actually a HUGE relief when things settled down around here after the cutbacks. I personally would never say “stay away for now” like one review states, but I would understand where they are coming from having been in a RIF myself. I think we seem to have a solid direction to stick to, since I know what I need to do on a daily basis and customers are still here, prospects still taking my phone calls, etc. Before we used to be really ambitious but obviously from the other reviews you can see what that got.

Gotta be friendly to work here, and haven't met anyone thats sourpuss at all, which beats my last company. People that are here today look like they want to stay and ride together. Perks are pretty good (provided lunch, gym membership, big kitchen)

Cons

Sometimes the game area is a distraction and between that and frequent meetings it’s no wonder why some people work long hours. The office can also get really quiet (probably different when we move, this space used to be a bio lab or something). Bring a jacket too, A/C doesnt ever let up.

too early to tell, only been a few months. But we definitely need to see some hustle on interviewing and recruiting more new hires on the accounts side to follow up and work on closing.

Great opportunities to learn lots

Current Employee - Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Badgeville as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Free Delicious Meals, Great Management, Friendly Atmosphere

Cons

Everyone wants to have ownership of too much. Some of the employees need to learn to delegate or trust others to do their jobs instead of a "I must do everything myself" attitude.

Emerging Company with Great Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Badgeville full-time

Pros

Having worked at several start-ups in my career, it is very refreshing to bee part of a company with a clear vision for growth. Over the past 6 months there have been many changes that are now starting to show strong returns towards both company and revenue growth.

The management team routinely encourages feedback from all lines of business and ensures that the company is run with complete transparency...

Badgville offers a great work culture and ensures that employees are rewarded for their hard work.

Our core product is built to drive behavior through "Gamifacation"... And we ensure that our culture reflects the premise that work should be FUN!

Cons

This is still a emerging space and there are always growing pains when you are the definitive leader in new market.

Continued focus on corporate growth and overall culture. Love the 3 Days a week lunch program!

A dysfunctional toxic environment

I worked at Badgeville full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are good people. Very easy to work with. Great camaraderie to be found there.

Cons

Increasingly out of touch "leadership", who don't ask for or care about input from employees actually on the front line doing the work. This has been compounded the last few months with the new CEO. There have been seemingly random direction changes out of desperation simply for the sake of making changes. The "restructuring" was basically an excuse for the new CEO to bring in people from his former company. The motto seems to be "this strategy worked at my last company, so of course it'll work here" despite being completely different products. You can't go more than 5 minutes during one of his long self-aggrandizing pontifications without him mentioning how they did things at Cast Iron. Unless you worked with him at that pseudo-legendary company, you might as well be invisible. It's hard not to seem invisible when he spends every meeting where he's not speaking acting disinterested in the corner texting on his cellphone. This has led to an environment where what once was a fun prototypical startup has turned into a dysfunctional toxic environment where the execs are too busy trying to save their own jobs by throwing anyone and everyone under the bus and the good people are miserable, unhappy, and scared.

Pick a direction and stick with it. Stop believing you have the answers to everything. Instead, try listening and paying attention to the people working for you.

Good place to work

I have been working at Badgeville full-time

Pros

Dedicated team, lots of excitement, fast-growth market

Cons

Pay is average, location not ideal for SF residents

Open a city office

Wise to Stay Away For Now

I worked at Badgeville full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great people, decent technology, and a growth market.

Cons

The new CEO is in over his head. He says one thing, and does another. Morale is low. He let go of top performers to bring in his own guys and publicly called the people he let go, "under performers". Now everyone is worried. He did this twice to put a positive spin on his reorg and positioned it as a move towards growth. The reality is, he has slowed things down. His nickname at Cast Iron was, "The System". At Power Reviews, they called him, "The Terminator". His seems proud of both of both names.

Don't treat people as commodities. You're a better company that that!! There needs to be some checks and balances at the top.

Great product, poor leadership

I worked at Badgeville

Pros

Great CEO; strong professional services, marketing, and customer service teams; an atmosphere of hard work, some of the usual start-up perks (free food, etc).

Cons

For a relatively small company (60+ people) the departments are very silo'd and have animosity toward one another. This company doesn't have the culture of cooperation you expect from a startup.

Cooperate more amongst yourselves and the individual contributors will be able to do better work.

Best of the best

I have been working at Badgeville

Pros

A meritocracy. If you work hard and add value, it's absolutely recognized.
    Pretty darn fun. It's intense but folks have a good sense of humor and perspective.
    We do amazing team building events: white water rafting and rally car racing.
    It's a true learning organization. We encourage personal and professional development.
    We still have catered lunches 3 days a week. Stocked fridge and kitchen.
    Our quarterly team T-shirts are sick.

Cons

You really need to be committed or you won't enjoy yourself.

Lease an extremely large building next time we move.

Motivating The Beat Out of Every Single Employee

I have been working at Badgeville

Pros

Badgeville is a great place to work. The management team, despite being incredibly busy, always makes sure every employee feels like a part of the team. While the team comes from diverse backgrounds ranging from former managers of loyalty programs at major credit card companies, to PhDs in physics, to lecturing anthropologists, everyone has their place and works toward a common goal. There are many reasons to be motivated on a daily basis, and most employees, if not all employees, are happy to go the extra mile to help out their team members. It's also really rewarding to be part of a fast growing, and so far very successful startup, and to experience what it's like to work together to get deals closed and built a truly innovative SaaS product with an impressive and growing list of clients from around the world.

Cons

Like any startup, you're expected to (or just have to) work fairly long hours to get your job done. It honestly doesn't seem like you're working that long because it's fun, interesting work, but for some people with families it does require more time, then, say working a 9-5 job that you can be done with when you go home for the day. If you want an extremely structured (ie "big company") environment, then this is probably not a place you would want to work. However, it's actually fairly structured for a startup environment, with more processes and procedures being put in place as the company grows.

The most important thing is to not lose the spirit of excitement and fun that makes Badgeville a unique and wonderful place to work, whether we have 10 employees, 35 employees or 100 employees. As long as that team feeling is still around, and we keep hiring most intelligent and creative people to be part of our team, the company will continue to be a great place to work.

Badgeville Photos