Bain & Company

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing PD, but inane work at the associate level

Boston, MA

ProsExtremely well run company where people really care about helping you develop professionally and even personally. The staffing managers are very thoughtful. It's just a great way to learn the best practices for analysis, slide-building, presentation, client engagement, business logic, and working in a team. That being said, it wasn't for me.

ConsI enjoyed case interviews because that dealt with the high-level strategic thinking of consulting -- the answer of the case. Unfortunately, that's not the work you do as an associate consultant; your role is to execute perfectly. It was hard for me to work long hours or be on call, spending ~30% of my time doing quality control (I'm not a very detail-oriented person). They expect you to feel ownership and responsibility over your work stream, but you don't actually have much ownership (I'd say on my teams they encouraged me to speak up and take a 'first pass' at higher level work, but there were always lots of iterations based on small suggestions at each level).

Advice to Senior ManagementI was someone sold on social impact -- I heard about a Bain case team helping to found a charter school and was hooked -- and I became really demotivated when I started at Bain and realized that I'm not someone who can force myself to work really hard on projects I'm not passionate about. It's great that Bain encourages so much social impact, but I'd be really upfront with recruits that they should think through whether or not they will feel motivated and happy if they're working in industries they don't care about and doing only the execution work for the first 1-2 years.

Stimulating work, nurturing environment, and fun people

Boston, MA

ProsYou get to work on interesting business strategy problems for senior management across a range of industries. The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance. The people make for a fun and collaborative environment and there are frequent fun events!

ConsSometimes cases can be poorly scoped, requiring consistently long hours, but this is not common. Otherwise, nothing besides the general cons of the profession: occasional long hours and travel that require flexibility but which can be enjoyable if you like variety.

A learning and supportive environment

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat people who love their jobs

ConsMarketing department in headquartered in Boston so not a lot of opportunity outside of Boston

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, fun work, and exceptional learning experience

Boston, MA

ProsHighly competitive compensation. Great place to learn both soft and hard skills to excel in business setting. Many mentors to look up to and learn best practices

ConsSometimes, work-life balance maybe unpredictable but then you do get enough unstaffed time to rest

Learning experience

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsExcellent place to gain insight into multiple industries, great place to work

Constravel, long hours given intense ramping up steep learning curve, but hey, that's also a plus!

Great Experience

Legal Temp (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsNice office, smart co-workers, friendly atmosphere, challenging work, good leadership, good work-life balance

ConsReally small cubicles and technology isn't as cutting edge as it should be

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Positive atmosphere

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat people to work with, always willing to share and to learn. Bain hires the best available people, and it shows. This company offers an opportunity to work in a worldwide marketplace on many diverse projects. The company atmosphere is extremely fun, with a definite work hard play hard feeling. Bain finds many ways to help in the community as well

ConsHard to set one's self apart with so many talented colleagues.

Absolutely amazing place to start your career!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsBain is an incredible place to start your career out of college and continue to build a career. The learning opportunities are unparalled; over 3 years as an AC/SAC you get incredible exposure and learning. The people are amazing- genuine, inspiring, devoted and caring. The culture is fantastic- fun, supportive. "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" is definitely true! Returning as a Consultant post-MBA (with Bain sponsorship) was equally rewarding. As a college senior, I never thought I'd still be at the same firm, but I can't imagine working elsewhere!

ConsHours can be long but this is typical of consulting, and the travel options are better than elsewhere.

Top-notch employment opportunity. Great long-term career or training ground for line management positions.

Partner (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsResults-focused, team-oriented, inclusive, compassionate, always at the top of best places to work lists. Truly a special place for a wide variety of people.

ConsHard place to get a job. Can be challenging work, sometimes unpredictable client needs

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the small company feeling and excitement

Great place to start your career

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsLearn a lot, smart people, interesting cases

ConsYou are still a generalist at the end of the day

Advice to Senior ManagementA bit too fratty at times

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.