Bain & Company Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated August 15, 2014

4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible people, work very hard to take care of their eployees

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great benefits and compensation package at all levels of the firm
    -A culture where everyone is expected to help each other and to always ask for help when needed
    -Summer meeting and outing events are very unique compared to other competitors
    -They recognize the importance of their people and reinvest money into the firm in order to improve working experience

Cons

-Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving
    -Incredibly competitive culture and results oriented, they are willing to terminate someone with ease if they are not pulling their weight

Keep doing what you're doing. Business is great and continuing to grow.

Amazing PD, but inane work at the associate level

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely well run company where people really care about helping you develop professionally and even personally. The staffing managers are very thoughtful. It's just a great way to learn the best practices for analysis, slide-building, presentation, client engagement, business logic, and working in a team. That being said, it wasn't for me.

Cons

I enjoyed case interviews because that dealt with the high-level strategic thinking of consulting -- the answer of the case. Unfortunately, that's not the work you do as an associate consultant; your role is to execute perfectly. It was hard for me to work long hours or be on call, spending ~30% of my time doing quality control (I'm not a very detail-oriented person). They expect you to feel ownership and responsibility over your work stream, but you don't actually have much ownership (I'd say on my teams they encouraged me to speak up and take a 'first pass' at higher level work, but there were always lots of iterations based on small suggestions at each level).

I was someone sold on social impact -- I heard about a Bain case team helping to found a charter school and was hooked -- and I became really demotivated when I started at Bain and realized that I'm not someone who can force myself to work really hard on projects I'm not passionate about. It's great that Bain encourages so much social impact, but I'd be really upfront with recruits that they should think through whether or not they will feel motivated and happy if they're working in industries they don't care about and doing only the execution work for the first 1-2 years.

A learning and supportive environment

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people who love their jobs

Cons

Marketing department in headquartered in Boston so not a lot of opportunity outside of Boston

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stimulating work, nurturing environment, and fun people

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to work on interesting business strategy problems for senior management across a range of industries. The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance. The people make for a fun and collaborative environment and there are frequent fun events!

Cons

Sometimes cases can be poorly scoped, requiring consistently long hours, but this is not common. Otherwise, nothing besides the general cons of the profession: occasional long hours and travel that require flexibility but which can be enjoyable if you like variety.

Great people, fun work, and exceptional learning experience

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly competitive compensation. Great place to learn both soft and hard skills to excel in business setting. Many mentors to look up to and learn best practices

Cons

Sometimes, work-life balance maybe unpredictable but then you do get enough unstaffed time to rest

Learning experience

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent place to gain insight into multiple industries, great place to work

Cons

travel, long hours given intense ramping up steep learning curve, but hey, that's also a plus!

Great Experience

Former Employee - Legal Temp  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Temp in Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice office, smart co-workers, friendly atmosphere, challenging work, good leadership, good work-life balance

Cons

Really small cubicles and technology isn't as cutting edge as it should be

Keep up the great work!

Positive atmosphere

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with, always willing to share and to learn. Bain hires the best available people, and it shows. This company offers an opportunity to work in a worldwide marketplace on many diverse projects. The company atmosphere is extremely fun, with a definite work hard play hard feeling. Bain finds many ways to help in the community as well

Cons

Hard to set one's self apart with so many talented colleagues.

Absolutely amazing place to start your career!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Bain is an incredible place to start your career out of college and continue to build a career. The learning opportunities are unparalled; over 3 years as an AC/SAC you get incredible exposure and learning. The people are amazing- genuine, inspiring, devoted and caring. The culture is fantastic- fun, supportive. "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" is definitely true! Returning as a Consultant post-MBA (with Bain sponsorship) was equally rewarding. As a college senior, I never thought I'd still be at the same firm, but I can't imagine working elsewhere!

Cons

Hours can be long but this is typical of consulting, and the travel options are better than elsewhere.

Top-notch employment opportunity. Great long-term career or training ground for line management positions.

Current Employee - Partner  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Partner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Results-focused, team-oriented, inclusive, compassionate, always at the top of best places to work lists. Truly a special place for a wide variety of people.

Cons

Hard place to get a job. Can be challenging work, sometimes unpredictable client needs

Keep the small company feeling and excitement

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!