Bain & Company Reviews

Reset
4.6
Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Interesting business problems with some of the biggest companies in the world; great people, great compensation (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment (in 108 reviews)

1. Great company, great people, good values

Current Intern - Associate Consultant, Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Associate Consultant, Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most amazing people I've ever meet. Emphasis on development and work ethic, ownership of work and valuing what we do every dya, working hard and having fun. Emphasis on learning, teamwork, and pushing towards a meaningful result. Super supportive of every team meber and employee, and even when you are transitioning into a different company or thinking of moving out of the company, they will help and support you. Bain supports its people, through and through.

Cons

Sometimes the company doesn't act exactly as it says it will; i.e., valuing hours over lifestyle, or not givin enough support to teams that are struggling. There is also a slight hierarchy between consulting/non-consulting staff. Need to remind yourself that first and foremost Bain is a company and will do what is best for the company, so while they support each and every one of their employees, they also have to operate in a business-mindset, which can sometimes seem at odds with the internal promotional language they use.

2. Internship

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Sudbury, MA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Sudbury, MA

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic way to learn industry best practices, gain mentorship and improve upon quantitative and qualitative skills.

Cons

Sometimes felt like the company only catered to the consultants over CSS.

3. Bain & Company consultant

Current Employee - Case Team Leader in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Steep learning curve Opportunity to focus in specific industries

Cons

Excessively high "training on the job" approach

5. A good place to start

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As a management consulting firm, Bain has many interesting projects (cases) to work on. New consultants will receive training in a high energy atmosphere where they will interact with people at all levels of the organization. The experience gained in working on these projects will be very valuable. Please note: if you are considering Bain, and Bain is your top choice, make it clear to your interviewers that Bain is your top choice. If you have the credentials that Bain is looking for, then you may get an early job offer.

Cons

Bain lacks expertise in several areas including manufacturing and six sigma. While Bain has internal white papers on these areas, it does not operationalize them well when it comes to their casework. Partners who may have this experience are few. Consequently when cases that require this expertise arise, case teams are not familiar with six sigma tools that could help them. The Bain Advanced Analytics Group does not possess an expert in six sigma to help the case teams either.

Advice to Management

Fill in expertise "holes" with seasoned professionals that have the level of expertise to train the consulting teams.

6. Inspiring and challenging, every day

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We solve our client's toughest problems, and we become trusted advisors along the way. We develop unique rapports with these clients, from senior executives down to front-line operators, based on the caliber of our work and accessibility of our people. Our teams are fun to work with, we place a significant emphasis on the in-office culture, and foster an environment where you're always being pushed to the next level.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a tough feat to achieve when on the consulting side given travel involved in the job. That said, this varies considerably by office and practice area, and there is always flexibility to accommodate different preferences.

7. Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bain provides a welcoming environment where you are coached and trained in how to proactively solve problems and think like a CEO. There is a great office culture that values hard work but also fun.

Cons

The work at times can be demanding, and sometimes clients are difficult to work with, but this is more a feature of all consulting.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people and working to make the job both fulfilling and manageable for employees.

8. Admin manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Bain has a work hard play hard atmosphere. There are lots of company wide events during the year that are meant to bring employees closer together. The culture is second to none because of all of the events that are provided to the employees.

Cons

Turnover on the Administration side is few and far between because it is such a good company to work for. Employees can run out of opportunities because of the low turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Expand teams on the Admin side of the business to create opportunities for employees.

Incredible place to learn and start your career in business

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, supportive, ambitious people who are great to work with. Very collegial, team-oriented culture. Steep learning curve; always learning and being challenged. Incredible training and professional development- the company really invests in its people. Ability to work in a wide range of industries and business issues. Important, meaningful work from the getgo.

Cons

Sometimes inefficient work culture b/c of hierarchy and expectation of long hours. Unpredictability of client work in general can lead to unpredictable schedules, long hours at times, travel even when unnecessary. That said, at Bain, management tends to be better about restricting travel to when its really necessary and tries hard to work on work-life balance as much as possible.

Advice to Management

The culture at Bain is generally fabulous- definitely keep that up. My one critique is that there seems to be an un-stated expecation that we need to work long hours, and that sometimes leads to a less efficient work environment (people could get done with their work quicker and have the evenings more to themselves but b/c people assume we need to work through the evening, we often do unneceesarily)

Hard time retaining CSS people. High turn over

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Nice clients and business is doing well.

Cons

Extreme turn over in my time at Bain. I was considered the role model on my team yet never compensated or appreciated, just given more work. Limited growth in CSS, you will hit a glass ceiling. Constant big brother feeling, Hr will make you feel like you are incompentent of being independent and responsible for your work. No flexibility to work from home, every step in and out of the office is logged and critiqued. Difficult for working CSS moms. The company's core values seem stuffy and old school. HR team is immature and hard to communicate with. Bonus/Benefits for CSS staff are horrendous and barely compettive. Review process is tedious and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in HR's hiring process. They need the training and tools in order to hire more effectively. High turnover should be a red flag.

11. Excellent place to launch a business career

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

I chose Bain for the people. I have used this criteria for most of the major decisions in my life and I have yet to be disappointed. Bainies are absolutely excellent individuals. They are driven, smart, funny and kind. I absolutely adore coming to work because the people are fantastic. Additionally Bain provides a lot of training and support.

Cons

The work life balance is challenging. Either you'll be working long hours 10+ on some days, or you'll be traveling to another city most days of the work week. That being said, I have never had to work on the weekends and that is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Bain should try to innovate and compete on compensation and benefits rather than just following McKinsey's lead. I think that would show that Bain actually cares about its employees rather than just doing enough so that they're comparable to "the other guy".

RSS Feed </> Embed