Bain & Company

Updated November 24, 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place, great opportunities, hard work

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bain has been a tremendous employer. The work is challenging, the people amazing. I've learned more than I could have imagined, and head off to graduate school feeling well prepared and excited for what comes next. I'm grateful I chose Bain as my first job out of college.

Cons

The work in intense, the hours long. They tell you that in recruiting, but until it becomes real it's hard to understand how it feels. At times you're staffed to casework that feels fascinating and important, at other times it feels less interesting. there is, though, a real focus on making sure that whatever you're doing has impact.

Great place to learn and make immediate impact

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely interesting projects in diverse sectors, with tangible impact to clients' bottom line. Very supportive culture with a strong focus on professional development. Diverse and fun place to work.

Cons

Long hours and lifestyle is not for everyone, but team-oriented and supportive culture helps make it sustainable.

Best company ever

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Have not start working yet, but can see Bain is a great company through recruiting process

Cons

Not yet any opinions here.

Bain is a place that does meaningful, high impact work, with sharp focus on development of its consultants

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are constantly learning and being challenged and stimulated in the work at Bain. The office-centric staffing model means that you develop a tight network within a close-knit office community and people are even more invested in your development. It's a merit-based culture that provides tons of opportunities to consultants in their case roles. The culture is second-to-none with a management team that cares about sustainability and making sure the job is workable and enjoyable for everyone. Bain is outgrowing its competitors which means there's tons of opportunity here.

Cons

There are currently a number of legacy clients with large, long-term programs, which means there's less variety of client work at any given time. Expectations are very high so you must be up to the challenge to push yourself beyond your comfort zone and always outperforming expectations. Work can be unpredictable and staffing does not always go your way.

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I am given a lot of responsibility and ownership in the work I do. There is always opportunities to learn, on the job, in-office training, Global Training programs (if you are a consultant) and within your department. I have a global network of smart colleagues who are supportive. I am able to work remotely, though when and how often really depends on your manager.

Cons

As an adminstrative (CSS) employee, there are few opportunities for career advancement.

Amazing benefits and culture

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture
    Great benefits (medical & dental, great PTO, fun parties & events, great comp)
    Non-hierarchical (everyone treats the EA's as well as they do the consulting staff)
    Job satisfaction

Cons

I think sometimes people talk about work-life balance being an issue in the consulting industry but I don't see it reflected here. I'm sure some of the consulting staff might have a rough case here or there but I haven't heard it being the norm.

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work but don't bother recruiting for a consulting position with the Chicago office if you are not white

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

*less travel on average compared to other top consulting firms. Focus on travel only as needed. Get to spend a lot of time in the office with teammates and colleagues.
    *thought provoking work and generally great teams and clients
    *exit opportunities are great and if you just want a break, easy to take a sabbatical or transfer for a 6 month period to another office for a new experience

Cons

*Only a handful of non-white candidates end up getting offers and coming here. Hypocritical that even though "diversity" is mentioned all the time but when it comes down to the final decision, other ethnicities lose out at this office. Seen many less qualified individuals given opportunities over ethnic minorities. Yes, if you visit the office, there is no diversity.

Instead of just saying you are diverse, actually be diverse.

An incredible place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pros about working for Bain & Company. Amazing, smart, and incredibly driven and hard-working people. Managers that are invested in the development of their employees. Some of the best tools available that enable employees to do their job in the most efficient way. An unmatched culture that is focused on having fun, delivering client results, and investing in employee development. A flexible working environment that is not about face time.

Cons

Not many cons. Sometimes it feels like the consulting staff is treated preferentially to other employees which can effect morale with the support staff at times.

Great place to start career

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture
    Great training
    Great people
    Great opportunities for continuation within Bain or a career in a variety of fields (PE, Corporate, etc.)

Cons

Can be taxing / hard work
    Not all projects are going to be equally attractive

Great place to learn quickly and interact with some brilliant and fun people

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1) Working with incredibly smart people
    2) Learn fast - 9 months out of undergrad, and I feel like I've built a great set of transferable skills
    3) Very fun culture. Lot's of people with similar interests

Cons

Work-life balance can be rough at times, but I believe that it's better than our competitors.

Keep it up