Bain & Company Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated July 21, 2014
4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start career

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture
    Great training
    Great people
    Great opportunities for continuation within Bain or a career in a variety of fields (PE, Corporate, etc.)

Cons

Can be taxing / hard work
    Not all projects are going to be equally attractive

Great place to learn quickly and interact with some brilliant and fun people

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Working with incredibly smart people
    2) Learn fast - 9 months out of undergrad, and I feel like I've built a great set of transferable skills
    3) Very fun culture. Lot's of people with similar interests

Cons

Work-life balance can be rough at times, but I believe that it's better than our competitors.

Keep it up

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

I am an Executive Assistant and absolutely love it. There is a tremendous investment on people here at Bain. That's important to feel especially in a support staff role. I feel empowered, encouraged and valued in my role. The work is always changing, and that keeps it fun and exciting. The focus on work life balance is unlike anything I've ever seen for EAs. Also, there are opportunities galore - if you are interested in learning a different industry - be it HR, IT, Recruiting, Marketing, etc, they take those desires seriously and will work to place you in that space.

Cons

Securing conference room space is getting difficult because we are growing so much!

I am so impressed with your continuous improvement focus! Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Associate Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people working on interesting problems

Cons

Very long hours and unpredictable weekends

Keep the Bain culture intact

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company really works hard to make its employees feel that they are apart of a greater whole, like a giant international family. The employees here work hard and also play hard.

Cons

Due to the fact that the company is rapidly growing, the idea of a familiar, inclusive workforce can be forgotten at times. The company also struggles to find a way to make its admin staff feel as included and driven as the rest of the consultant employee body.

Create a system that motivates the admin staff

A good (not the best) place to begins one's career, especially for undergraduate candidates

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Aggressive professional development
    Talented colleagues
    Interesting projects (generally)
    Generalist model ensures you won't get pigeon-holed

Cons

Lifestyle isn't great (project dependent)
    Good career opportunities (definitely not as good as McKinsey)
    Access to industry verticals are driven by office location given regional staffing model
    Candidates have almost no say in project staffing

Devote more time and energy for Associate Consultant career development (especially if the path is outside of Bain). Management isn't as open to career trajectories outside of Bain as it should be.

Great company

Current Employee - Manager Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart People, lots of incentives, they do a great job to help you have a good work-life balance considering the hours that are worked.

Cons

It's not always stimulating in this position. Work comes in waves and more often than not, I'm not really excited about my work.

Incredible learning in a challenging, supportive environment with the best colleagues

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work. Smart people. Change-oriented clients. Collaborative atmosphere. Best colleagues. In general, I have found Bain to be a great place to build my career over the past five years. I look at external opportunities, and haven't found anything to be as remotely compelling as continuing here. And, when I look at the competition - I think that we work with a broad, diverse client set on their most challenging issues, and that we really partner with them to make sure they can implement what we recommend. And, not to be cliche about Bain, but the colleagues and relationships I've built have been phenomenal. I know these people are the ones I'll be in touch with 20 years from now, on a personal and/or professional basis.

Cons

Despite working hand-in-hand with our clients to enact change, we aren't actually responsible for making the decision and sometimes that is very hard to accept...especially when they don't end up doing what you think would be best.

Great opportunities to build formative career experiences and get the support/mentorship to succeed along the way

Current Employee - Principal  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work on challenging and interesting problems. Work with senior executives who have the ability to change the course of their business and often shape the overall industry. Great firm culture and interesting/fun colleagues.

Cons

Client service business that can have long and sometimes unpredictable hours, as well as the potential for high travel.

Exhilerating growth

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Personal impact on real companies doing important work, with lots of formal and informal support

Cons

Client work is spikey in terms of hours and stress (common to consulting industry)

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!