Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros:
  • "The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Really interesting work and you're surrounded by great people"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 76 reviews
  • "Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours"
    in 84 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Positive atmosphere

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat people to work with, always willing to share and to learn. Bain hires the best available people, and it shows. This company offers an opportunity to work in a worldwide marketplace on many diverse projects. The company atmosphere is extremely fun, with a definite work hard play hard feeling. Bain finds many ways to help in the community as well

ConsHard to set one's self apart with so many talented colleagues.

Friendly, capable, intelligent colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great experience. My co-workers (from the analysts to the partners) were impressive, capable and friendly. The work was interesting and it was exciting to be a part of a high-performing team.

ConsSome of my co-workers struggled with their superiors - who didn't support them through the internship. In addition, the work is not as analytical as one would expect. Often times, the solution to a problem can be developed in a week or two and months will be spent preparing materials (power points) to communicate your recommendations.

Absolutely amazing place to start your career!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsBain is an incredible place to start your career out of college and continue to build a career. The learning opportunities are unparalled; over 3 years as an AC/SAC you get incredible exposure and learning. The people are amazing- genuine, inspiring, devoted and caring. The culture is fantastic- fun, supportive. "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" is definitely true! Returning as a Consultant post-MBA (with Bain sponsorship) was equally rewarding. As a college senior, I never thought I'd still be at the same firm, but I can't imagine working elsewhere!

ConsHours can be long but this is typical of consulting, and the travel options are better than elsewhere.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The BEST place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAs others have said, this place is full of amazing people. Interesting, high-impact work. There is no better place to start your career.

ConsHours can be long but it is possible to create a sustainable lifestyle

Great experience that I would recommend to anyone coming out of school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent learning experience. Great people. Great business experience that has and I believe will continue to pay dividends in my professional life.

ConsExhausting schedule if traveling. Not always the flexibility to work on the types of cases you wanted to work on. Potential to have an unbalanced case load. There a few people that I have in mind that were consistently staffed on bad cases (long hours, unattractive travel, difficult CTL, etc.) and others that were consistently staffed on good ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromise of work/life balance sometimes goes out the door, if the client is deemed important enough. My time at Bain was interesting because the economy was bad (2008 - 2011). It felt as though management was going the extra mile to prove its value to clients at a time when clients were cutting discretionary costs. A lot of people in my class felt burnt, because they chose Bain and sacrificed some earnings relative to IB, in part due to work life balance, but still felt like they were working banker hours (obviously, we had more job security, but that point can get lost in times of frustration). Again, I was at Bain during an interesting time, so not sure how consistent my experience is with those of ACs/SACs today, but my advice is that if you are going to make work/life balance a selling point, follow through lest you'll have some disgruntled ACs. While most in my class stuck around for SAC year, it felt like an unusually high number of people chose not to accept B school sponsorship or left only after a year or 2 of a direct promote. I also recall a lot of people in the class below mine leaving before SAC year.

Great place to start career in consulting

Consultant/Case Team Leader (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNice culture, interesting cases, solid leadership

ConsHours, travel, uneven mentoring, unable to specialize for several years

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Intense fun

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople: Incredibly intelligent, inspiring, fun, teamwork-oriented people
    Work: Lot of exposure to upper management
    Culture: Down-to-earth; never take themselves too seriously; "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" culture

ConsNot as international as McKinsey (most cases staffed within the country)
    Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on this incredible culture.
    Provide more international opportunities

Best place for top business talent with inspiring people to work with

Director (Current Employee)

ProsBain has been a fantastic place to build a career. The two years I'd planned to stay at Bain have since turned into 12 years. The reasons I've stayed: Great learning and career trajectory. I started on the client facing side, but have now moved into a non-client facing position. On both sides I've been continually challenged to learn and grow. The people here are 2nd to none, inspiring role models and friends. They are bright, talented, and engaged in making Bain a great place to work, with great trust and mutual respect. I've also found flexibility in my career where I've needed it (e.g., working part time when my youngest child was little...)

ConsWe pride ourselves in maintaining a lean operating model and cost structure, which means that teams can feel very stretched or resource-constrained.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love more communication from our WWMD

Consultant

ProsVery case heavy - no different case structures

ConsMust be very structured in thinking

Amazing company, challenging work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros-Wonderful, smart, and driven co-workers
    -Lots of client exposure at the junior and senior levels
    -Extraordinary professional growth

Cons-Long hours - it varies by case, but it can get up to 95 hours if getting close to a big meeting
    -Frequent travel - most cases in the DC office involve travel, but that should be changing as the office grows

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving the positive culture of the firm, it's what keeps all of us here.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 536 reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.