Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Mar 4, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority(in 84 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours(in 94 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat culture and interesting projects. The company genuinely cares about the professional development of junior professionals. Very collegial working environment and you become friends with many of your colleagues

ConsIt can frustrating at times that consultants are in an advisory role. Ultimately, it is up to the client to decide what to do with your recommendations. But this is applies to all the consulting firms out there

Fantastic professional development, tremendous opportunities to have an impact, collaborative and supportive culture.

Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Office-centric project staffing: stronger local relationship building, better work life balance
    -Formal / informal global training programs
    -Collaborative supportive people throughout the organization interested in individual success

Cons-Unpredictability of management consulting due to being professional services (i.e., less control over timing and duration of working demands)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in our people, and in the firm's growth.
    Continue social impact and education efforts.
    Continue focus on diversity.

Great company to launch a career

Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Diversity of projects creates many learning opportunities
    - Great on the job training and both hard & soft skill building
    - Strong culture focused on performance
    - Smart, driven colleagues

Cons- Projects aren't always interesting
    - Project lengths are increasing, meaning there are fewer opportunites to see more industries & functions
    - Client service means life is unpredictable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great post-MBA landing spot

Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Engaged and energetic people
    - Workable lifestyle
    - Multiple opportunities outside of work

Bain is a great place to work post-MBA. I have colleagues that are younger and engage in multiple additional opportunities including the Bain Band, non-profit work, and recruiting, as well as colleagues who have young children and still find time to balance their case work while spending time with their families. Los Angeles in particular is a smaller office within the North American system and within 3 months you'll definitely know everyone's name (as opposed to just randomly passing them in the hall and awkwardly nodding)

Cons- High turnover (typical of consulting)
    - May have to spend some time in your car

Like any consulting you may be staffed in a case that involves significant and / or inconvenient travel (but there's always Starwoods) or with a manager whose working style differs from your own. But these apply to the field in general more than Bain and I think the company does a good job of utilizing a regional model to minimize excessive or unnecessary travel and having multiple opportunities for upward feedback including monthly case team surveys that are displayed in the office kitchen to help improve case team dynamics.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, while prioritizing making sure our case mix stays diverse and our culture stays vibrant.

Great people, challenging opportunities

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWhile consulting with any of the major firms is an outstanding foundation for a career, Bain offers the opportunity to work with a special group of people that are incredibly smart, fun-loving, and supportive beyond belief. The friendships and mentorships you will develop at Bain are truly what make the job.

ConsAs with any client services firm, lifestyle can be vary depending on case and client demands, but the best managers focus the team's time on the highest priority demands.

They care about you here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI am always amazed how flexible Bain management will be to accomodate personal needs. Time off, or reducing travel or different staffing. It feels like they really care about me as a person.

ConsWe are on the road a lot...this is a hard job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe do a good job with providing externships, but I think we coule even offer more externships...not just for SACs, but for all levels.

Know what you're getting yourself into

Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat name recognition for post-consulting careers - many headhunters will call you within the first month of your employment. The exposure to different industries and opportunity to learn a lot about how companies are run is great. Internal resources and support (i.e. research, IT) are excellent and so are certain perks (Friday afternoon happy hours, great vacation schedule). The training at Bain is comprehensive and one can tell that the firm spares no expenses to train its people. The company provides many tools to help one do one's job and there are opportunities to work abroad in other offices to experience other cultures.

ConsHigh pressure, long hours and residual "old boys club" culture still persists. There are obvious favoritisms right from the start for those who have previously worked for the firm as Associate Consultants. The "meritocracy" that the firm preaches isn't always true - the louder one whines the more one gets. There is generally a lack of clarity on what is expected and what those expectations mean. Promotion usually favors those who were with the firm previously, and is openly talked about by management. This creates conflict and disparity among post-MBA hires and sets unnecessary rivalry and competition among colleagues. Managers at Bain are not trained to lead and manage people - they're trained to produce presentations and get the project done, so there is little in terms of professional development, even though that's what the firm touts as its key characteristics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair and honest.

great to work out of undergrad but upside is limited

Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosgood people, effort to maintain work life balance, social events outside of the office, steep learning curve, smart peers, opportunity to explore different industries

Conspoor work life balance, sometime low impact work for a consultant, too much emphasis on fun, consulting staff is very young (compared to McK, BCG), client question the level of maturity, partner staff is seldom weak with expertise

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on work life balance, consider strengthening middle management rather than recruiting tons of college grads

Bain & Co is fantastic

AC (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFrom start to finish the job makes you feel like a valuable addition to not only a team, but to the improvement of the client. The environment is fun but challenging, self-paced but engaging, and the people there are world-class.

ConsUltimately the work itself is challenging at the beginning but can quickly get monotonous for a given type of analysis. This is probably the case for 95% of jobs though so it may be a wash. I can foresee loss of case mix with a declining economy with cases focusing mainly on cost cutting and performance improvement. Additionally, there is always the final bit of satisfaction one gets from seeing recommendations implemented, sadly

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

The best consulting firm to work for.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBain has an amazing culture. The office atmosphere is friendly and social, and there are many friendships between consultants in the office. The opportunities for professional growth are unparalleled. Bain consultants have an incredible success rate at getting into top 3 business schools (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton.)

ConsThe hours can be long. Hours depend on the particular case you're on. However, even when you have long hours, it helps foster camaraderie and you make the closest relationships with your team.

Advice to Senior ManagementI admire the Senior Management for being so energetic and young at heart. At social events, it is often the managers and partners who are the life of the party.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!