Bain & Company Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 98 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 104 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Place to Work - No Lie

Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bain is a great place to work. I feel very fortunate to have landed my non-consulting job here. Plenty of personal time off, the training has been great and my colleagues are fantastic. It's so nice to work at a place where I never have to say, "that person is an idiot," because pretty much everyone at Bain is intelligent and thoughtful. My supervisors have been extremely supportive, I've been able to work in a way at Bain that I haven't been able to at any other company. Bain has an entrepreneur spirit in that you can "build your own Bain." At Bain we do the things we want to do and are passionate about, not just the things that just pay the bills.

I've worked at many other companies that people consider glamorous and are great for the resume. The management at Bain is fantastic, I promise you, it will be hard to find a better company to work for.

Cons

If you're non-consulting staff there is a divide and you will feel it. Consultants are the bread and butter of the company (it is a consulting firm, after all!) and you will be reminded of this occasionally. There is ALWAYS a ton of work to do which is great for opportunity but can kill your live/work balance if you let it. It's up to you.

You can't find a better first job.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never been around a group of people as highly motivated and yet intensely caring; people want you to succeed not just because it makes them look good, but because apprenticeship and mentorship are the lifeblood of the business. Relaxed, informal culture that gives you the opportunity and skills to succeed.

Cons

Long hours, and the fact that you are never the one creating something; the hallmark of success at this job is helping someone else succeed.

Keep doing what you're doing; as long as the business is growing and we are taking share, the opportunities will come and people will be happy.

Unmatched professional development

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional development, extremely structured thinking, mentors that really look out for you, extremely challenging problems, meritocratic with many step-up opportunities, office interest groups, extremely transparent organization, free weekends, worldwide trainings, great clients, private equity leadership, colleagues I enjoy being around and learning from

Cons

Constantly pushing at work and very high expectations for work - not as much the hours, but the pace can feel like a grind

Amazing experience

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The people you work with will become your best friends.
    - Smart people and great mentors. The quality of the people is very consistent.
    - Challenging work everyday.
    - Informal culture which is incredibly consistent at all offices.
    - Global transfer opportunities and top-notch training.

Cons

-Work life balance, as is to be expected in consulting. However, at my office, you usually get credit for a particularly tough case and can choose to be on something easier.

Keep it up! If possible, continue effort to monitor work-life balance and make sure people in tough cases get rotated into easier ones.

Learned a lot.

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

good training. good data analysis training. good understanding of business principles. good analytics of current market.

Cons

not many challenges. overall great place to work. learn a lot. good compensation. good professional development.

Pragmatic, no-nonsense place to work for with great human capital

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Where Bain stands out is
    -Professional development.
    -Apprenticeship
    -Strong fun culture
    -High impact projects
    -Opportunities to see across many capabilities and industries

Cons

Working at Bain means you'll have to deal with
    -Sustainability issues; it is client services after all
    -Hard to always predict work hours and travel schedule
    -How the firm is run can sometimes be opaque

Consider being more open to change faster. Sometimes can be a bit too conservative on how to change the existing model

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I am given a lot of responsibility and ownership in the work I do. There is always opportunities to learn, on the job, in-office training, Global Training programs (if you are a consultant) and within your department. I have a global network of smart colleagues who are supportive. I am able to work remotely, though when and how often really depends on your manager.

Cons

As an adminstrative (CSS) employee, there are few opportunities for career advancement.

Amazing place to work! Full of incredibly smart people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bain really cares about it's people and it comes out in everything that they do. Everyone here is dedicated and determined to make Bain the best place it can be! You learn something new everyday

Cons

The pace is incredibly fast so if you aren't used to that or don't like high pressured environments then you might stuggle at Bain.

Keep investing in the culture as much as you do. It's the core of why Bain is so amazing!

I love working with smart, motivated co-workers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefts are unbeatable, culture is fun and hard-working, it's a team environment all the way, people support one another.

Cons

Runs lean and is fast-paced with a high volume of work most of the time. Upward career growth can be limited due to lean structure but that's only an issue if you are prioritizing that over work-life balance, family commitments, etc.

Would be nice to pilot some flexible or work-from-home arrangements

Great company to work

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People in the organization are incredibly smart and create a great working environment.

Cons

Lots of travel and long hours