Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros:
  • "The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours"
    in 83 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The best job I've ever had

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsI am an Executive Assistant and absolutely love it. There is a tremendous investment on people here at Bain. That's important to feel especially in a support staff role. I feel empowered, encouraged and valued in my role. The work is always changing, and that keeps it fun and exciting. The focus on work life balance is unlike anything I've ever seen for EAs. Also, there are opportunities galore - if you are interested in learning a different industry - be it HR, IT, Recruiting, Marketing, etc, they take those desires seriously and will work to place you in that space.

ConsSecuring conference room space is getting difficult because we are growing so much!

Advice to Senior ManagementI am so impressed with your continuous improvement focus! Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you!

The BEST place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsAs others have said, this place is full of amazing people. Interesting, high-impact work. There is no better place to start your career.

ConsHours can be long but it is possible to create a sustainable lifestyle

Great place to start career in consulting

Consultant/Case Team Leader (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice culture, interesting cases, solid leadership

ConsHours, travel, uneven mentoring, unable to specialize for several years

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Absolutely amazing place to start your career!

Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBain is an incredible place to start your career out of college and continue to build a career. The learning opportunities are unparalled; over 3 years as an AC/SAC you get incredible exposure and learning. The people are amazing- genuine, inspiring, devoted and caring. The culture is fantastic- fun, supportive. "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" is definitely true! Returning as a Consultant post-MBA (with Bain sponsorship) was equally rewarding. As a college senior, I never thought I'd still be at the same firm, but I can't imagine working elsewhere!

ConsHours can be long but this is typical of consulting, and the travel options are better than elsewhere.

Best place for top business talent with inspiring people to work with

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBain has been a fantastic place to build a career. The two years I'd planned to stay at Bain have since turned into 12 years. The reasons I've stayed: Great learning and career trajectory. I started on the client facing side, but have now moved into a non-client facing position. On both sides I've been continually challenged to learn and grow. The people here are 2nd to none, inspiring role models and friends. They are bright, talented, and engaged in making Bain a great place to work, with great trust and mutual respect. I've also found flexibility in my career where I've needed it (e.g., working part time when my youngest child was little...)

ConsWe pride ourselves in maintaining a lean operating model and cost structure, which means that teams can feel very stretched or resource-constrained.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love more communication from our WWMD

Great experience that I would recommend to anyone coming out of school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company

ProsExcellent learning experience. Great people. Great business experience that has and I believe will continue to pay dividends in my professional life.

ConsExhausting schedule if traveling. Not always the flexibility to work on the types of cases you wanted to work on. Potential to have an unbalanced case load. There a few people that I have in mind that were consistently staffed on bad cases (long hours, unattractive travel, difficult CTL, etc.) and others that were consistently staffed on good ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromise of work/life balance sometimes goes out the door, if the client is deemed important enough. My time at Bain was interesting because the economy was bad (2008 - 2011). It felt as though management was going the extra mile to prove its value to clients at a time when clients were cutting discretionary costs. A lot of people in my class felt burnt, because they chose Bain and sacrificed some earnings relative to IB, in part due to work life balance, but still felt like they were working banker hours (obviously, we had more job security, but that point can get lost in times of frustration). Again, I was at Bain during an interesting time, so not sure how consistent my experience is with those of ACs/SACs today, but my advice is that if you are going to make work/life balance a selling point, follow through lest you'll have some disgruntled ACs. While most in my class stuck around for SAC year, it felt like an unusually high number of people chose not to accept B school sponsorship or left only after a year or 2 of a direct promote. I also recall a lot of people in the class below mine leaving before SAC year.

Intense fun

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople: Incredibly intelligent, inspiring, fun, teamwork-oriented people
Work: Lot of exposure to upper management
Culture: Down-to-earth; never take themselves too seriously; "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" culture

ConsNot as international as McKinsey (most cases staffed within the country)
Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on this incredible culture.
Provide more international opportunities

Amazing company, challenging work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros-Wonderful, smart, and driven co-workers
-Lots of client exposure at the junior and senior levels
-Extraordinary professional growth

Cons-Long hours - it varies by case, but it can get up to 95 hours if getting close to a big meeting
-Frequent travel - most cases in the DC office involve travel, but that should be changing as the office grows

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving the positive culture of the firm, it's what keeps all of us here.

Bain is a great place to work

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn consulting, "the product is the people." Bain invests an enormous amount into developing its people. The formal training programs are great, but it's more than that. There is a culture of frequent "real time" feedback which is reinforced by formal reviews twice a year. The learning curve is steep and expectations are high, so you gain skills fast. You also get to work with great people who are not only smart/capable but humble, friendly, and caring.

ConsManagement consulting is a demanding career. Bain does try hard to maintain sustainable work life balance, but you can't be client-facing at Bain and have a 9-to-5 job.

Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsVery case heavy - no different case structures

ConsMust be very structured in thinking

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 487 reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.