Bain & Company

Updated December 17, 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

Greatest Culture Ever!

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain can really pick good people! Everyone at Bain is the type of person you'd want to be friends with and go hang out with on a Saturday night.

Cons

Long hours for sure. But the people make those long hours very tolerable

Strong culture, long hours

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great visibility opportunities for junior consultants, and getting to work with incredibly smart and motivated colleagues, and senior clients with a mindset of change

Cons

Long hours and a very large amount of travel - I barely slept in my own bed during my tenure there. High level of stress associated with the job.

1 year in and I'm hooked.

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great people and exciting work. Training and professional development are priorities.

Cons

Big company - some bureaucracy (as to be expected).

New Hire

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Good work life balance/ culture

Cons

Not a large amount or working professionals

Great place to learn and make immediate impact

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely interesting projects in diverse sectors, with tangible impact to clients' bottom line. Very supportive culture with a strong focus on professional development. Diverse and fun place to work.

Cons

Long hours and lifestyle is not for everyone, but team-oriented and supportive culture helps make it sustainable.

Bain has a relentless focus of putting employee interests first.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They put an incredible amount of focus on developing employees professionally and ensuring that your time with the company is enriching, enjoyable, and stimulating. The culture is incredibly social and collegial.

Cons

Given that it is a partnership, there is a degree of opaqueness associated with some aspects of the company.

Great Entry Level Experience

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

Interesting work, hardworking intelligent coworkers. Management was responsive to employees needs. They offer some nice extracurricular activities and seem to care about the work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be drudgery, and if you are good at that drudgery you can get stuck doing that drudgery until you beg for a reprieve. If you want to get out of a rut you need to push back and sometimes managers don't want to deal with that.

Keep your employees interested by understanding their strengths and including them on projects where they can learn, grow and thrive.

Bain

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (less than an year)

Cons

keep doing what you do.electric good balance training good great values top tier consulting us firm .good opportunities and great balance of life and at work. no cons great values good opportunities and great balance of life and at work. Good management can help you through the internship

Great place, great opportunities, hard work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bain has been a tremendous employer. The work is challenging, the people amazing. I've learned more than I could have imagined, and head off to graduate school feeling well prepared and excited for what comes next. I'm grateful I chose Bain as my first job out of college.

Cons

The work in intense, the hours long. They tell you that in recruiting, but until it becomes real it's hard to understand how it feels. At times you're staffed to casework that feels fascinating and important, at other times it feels less interesting. there is, though, a real focus on making sure that whatever you're doing has impact.

Incredible culture, people, development

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What really sets Bain apart from other hard-working, smart professional services firms is that Bain has prioritized a culture of genuine caring about people - employees, clients, community. I was often impressed and inspired by leadership's dedication to doing what was right for the client, and simultaneously trying to protect sustainable work-life balance and continuously cultivate a fun, connected office/firm culture. I loved and benefitted immensely from the focus on professional development, mentorship, regular and real-time 360 degree feedback, and learning (with learning lunches covering a wide array of topics beyond what's most relevant to case work).

Cons

Work-life balance is still variable, depending on the client, case scoping, and team leadership. While there are a lot of benefits to the highly structured skills progression expectations across levels, Associate Consultants can sometimes feel limited to owning data analysis even when they could start demonstrating some of the higher-level thinking and "soft skills" that are more expected of Consultants and Managers.

Build into the revamp of the AC program earlier training on the important "soft skills" of general management, and start using tools that will cut down on the Excel data crunching that ACs spend a lot of time on.