Bain & Company Reviews

4.5

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Great launching pad

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain is a tremendous launching pad for a career in almost any industry. The leadership have created a meritocratic organization that is wholly focused on delivering results for our clients. The firm seem to be well positioned to handle the economic downturn likely to impact the industry over the next 12-18 months. The firm remains committed to investing in its people and culture.

Cons

Promotion schedules can be a little rigid. Individuals joining the firm with prior consulting experience may have to wait longer than they need to for promotion to the next level. The corporate culture is fairly strong, particularly in offices such as Boston and New York, where Bainees spend a lot of time together outside of the office.

Management should continue doing what they're doing. They've done a great job.

Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great learning experience. Great people. Great benefit.

Cons

Long hours. Need better feedback.

Give better feedback for workforce to improve.

Bain & Co is a terrific place

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain and Company balances a high performance environment with a great culture. The partners espouse a results-focused attitude and really hold employees and themselves to this approach. While client services is inherently detailed-oriented and focused on keeping the client happy, Bain manages to do it with a minimum of unnecessary work and a focus on only that which really matters.
    Bain is also simply a fun place to work. From a global soccer tournament in a rotating location to a summer off-site meeting to regular happy hours the company really invests in making sure its employees have a good time and the people are generally great.

Cons

Like any consulting job the hours can be extremely variable and there can be some late, stressful nights before important client updates. While some managers and partners are better than others when it comes to managing clients, it is rare that a partner will flat out refuse work and if the client is particularly pushy the lifestyle on the can case can deteroriate.
    There is also 0 room for error in analysis and while there is a lot time and effort devoted to training and learning, it is expected that you will be be error free extremely quickly. It can be a very difficult environment for someone is not detail-oriented.

Largely, keep doing what you have been doing. The firm has a winning culture and extraordinary people. As the company grows globally there may be temptation to become more McKinsey-esque and focus on growth at the expense of making sure we are getting the right people with the right attitudes, and fostering the Bain spirit in each office.
    One criticism would be the salary for the third year. Management knows that it is a losing proposition for employees to work the third year at a much lower salary than the first year post-MBA, and given the employees are typically on an externship or transfer for half the year, how much could it hurt to increase the pay?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great learning opportunities and opportunity to work wit really smart people

Cons

Not always great work life balance

Listen to us more

Unmatched opportunities for someone coming out of undergrad.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Challenging, fascinating business problems to tackle with fun colleagues.

Cons

The lifestyle is not for the timid.

Stay flexible and keep pushing the envelope.

Bain - the best place to find smart, hard working people

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Challenging problems: At Bain you constantly work on the most challenging issues facing our clients. This gives you the visibility and exposure to the highest levels of organizations; opportunities that you would be unlikely to get if you were not a consultant
    Strict meritocracy: Bain is all about meritocracy. If you work hard, you will succeed here. Lots of feedback is given at every step of the process, and more is available if you ask for it.

Cons

Work/life balance: Most people at Bain are happy with the work/life balance - those that are not happy leave quickly. While Bain is one of the best consulting companies for work/life balance, you still have to work very hard here.

Keep doing what you are doing already.

Bain & Co is fantastic

Former Employee - AC  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - AC in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

From start to finish the job makes you feel like a valuable addition to not only a team, but to the improvement of the client. The environment is fun but challenging, self-paced but engaging, and the people there are world-class.

Cons

Ultimately the work itself is challenging at the beginning but can quickly get monotonous for a given type of analysis. This is probably the case for 95% of jobs though so it may be a wash. I can foresee loss of case mix with a declining economy with cases focusing mainly on cost cutting and performance improvement. Additionally, there is always the final bit of satisfaction one gets from seeing recommendations implemented, sadly

N/A

Bain - great place to start a career!

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain is a great place to work right after college. It offers a lot of interesting work, great people, strong lifetime network, and amazing exit opportunities. I do not plan to work in consulting for the long-term, but am very happy with my ~2.5 year experience.

Cons

It i still consulting at the end of the day, and you are never going to have full control over the outcomes of your work. For most people that is fine, but I need to know that my hard work is going to have an impact. With that being said, I have had the opportunity to work with some very sophisticated clients who have implemented the changes that our case recommended.

Offer more opportunities for international staffing

Better at PreMBA level than post MBA level

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great people to work with and projects can be interesting

Cons

If you get stuck o n a bad project with a bad manager, then there is nothing you can really do.

Better talent management

You can't go wrong with a job at Bain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

The firm worldwide has a great culture - the people in general are nice, interesting, and fun. There are excellent exit opportunities from any level as the Bain name and consulting skillset is valued in a number of jobs.

Cons

At the end of the day the quality of your experience is very much dictated by which cases you end up working on. If you get stuck on a 6 month case in an industry you don't like or a difficult client, there's not a lot you can do about it. That's true of any consulting job but I think people's experiences vary because of this. If you are unhappy though, Bain is good about making sure your next case meets your needs.

True high performers at Bain aren't rewarded enough relative to their strong but lower-performing peers. This sometimes incents people to leave.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!