Bain & Company Reviews

4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to learn and develop as a business leader

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Working with phenomenal people on some of the toughest and most interesting business problems in the world. You are constantly being pushed to improve and expand your skills and somehow finding room for a lot of fun of your co-workers.

Cons

Fast-paced job can lead to a fast-paced lifestyle, you need to be pretty flexible with outside commitments and be ready for wahtever your client/project team needs.

Learning experience in a great culture

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain is a place with a wonderful and strong culture, a strong focus on professional development, and a real drive toward delivery of results for the client

Cons

As with any consulting firm, you will face consulting hours and difficult travel at times. The promotions can be somewhat slow for type-a's, but generally still fast paced.

Continue to re-inforce the culture. It is what makes Bain stand out from the consulting norm.

Bain is a fun learning environment where you can have real impact right away

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain has the most fun, creative and intelligent people of any firm in the world. Bain clients are leaders in their industries and give us free reign to peer inside their companies and make suggestions for improvement, so the work is stimulating, challenging and has deep and lasting impacts. Bain is a trusted advisor in so many different industries and has developed IP on many sectors such that the business education Bainies recieve is well-rounded. Beyond the case work, the office culture is quirky and values the individuals that make it up. There are frequent and fun office events that are both planned by the office administration and that bubble up from people at all tenures here as a result of the passions they have at work (i.e. a discussion on Bain's outlook on the world economy) or the passions they have outside of work (i.e. a discussion from Whitney Tilson on the state of the educational inequity in the United States and what we can do about it). Bain's dedication to it's community here in New York is also inspiring: we work extensively with many local non-profits to raise money, donate consulting services and other time for volunteer projects to the organizations that we care about. Finally, the "extra-curriculars" ranging from Bain sports to the Bain band (that rehearses in a real recording studio and performs as the entertainment for the whole office at our summer meeting) fill the work place with energy and create lasting bonds between the extraordinary individuals who work here.

Cons

Like any service firm, the hours can be unpredictable. That said, Bain managers and leaders put a focused effort on building sustainable.

Continue to innovate in recruiting to be on the front lines of diversifying the workplace and offering opportunties to your employees along the lines of externship and flexibly workplace models to sustain a long career at Bain.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is one of the best jobs for someone right out of college or an MBA program

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

The poeple who work here make all the difference. There is also a level of introspection and self application of our tools where Bain tends to overcommunicate and work hard to ensure that this is a great place to work. The partners here really do care that the most junior people have great experiences. Also, from day 1 of being an AC through being a Consultant, everyone's input is asked for and the quality of your input is what guides the conversation, not your rank or tenure.

Cons

Like all management consulting firms, this is a rigorous experience. No one should come to Bain or any of its competitors if they're not willing to work very hard at times. On the whole my hours have been very reasonable, but there are cases where hours spike and you might be traveling 3-4 days a week. I think Bain is better at managing this than other firms and works to mitigate this downside, but it's something to be aware of when applying for jobs.

No better place to start a career

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

I truly believe there is no better place to start your career than at Bain. At Bain you are given opportunities to work with senior level executives, solve challenging business problems, and spend each day with co-workers who are incredibly talented yet down to earth

Cons

In a professional services firm lifestyle is not always predictable but management does the best they can to plan ahead to reduce issues

Bain can do a better job providing opportunities for ACs/Consultants to develop more expertise in areas they are passionate about

Bain provided the best post-graduate Business education I could have received at any job.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain has a great culture - people you enjoy working with and spending time with outside of work.

Cons

We are very tenure-based in promotions. It is a meritocracy, but only within certain broader guidelines for required tenure at certain positions.

Proud Alumni

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

Working at Bain was a pleasure and a joy. My colleagues were smart, impressive and enjoyable to spend time with. I learned a tremendous amount and felt prepared for my business life, post-Bain. I now have friends for life and an exceptional business network.

Cons

More multinational clients and time 'on the coal-face' with clients means time away from home. I am fully supportive of being client-facing but it's a conscious trade-off that applicants will need to make (and no different from the competition).

Keep up the fantastic global training sessions!

Great people, challenging opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

While consulting with any of the major firms is an outstanding foundation for a career, Bain offers the opportunity to work with a special group of people that are incredibly smart, fun-loving, and supportive beyond belief. The friendships and mentorships you will develop at Bain are truly what make the job.

Cons

As with any client services firm, lifestyle can be vary depending on case and client demands, but the best managers focus the team's time on the highest priority demands.

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

-Intense focus on professional development, for both a future in and outside of Bain
    -Amazing friendly and social atmosphere/culture
    -Opportunity to work on the most challenging questions and most leveraged issues companies face
    -Office transfer and externship program make it easy to explore other opportunities geographically or in other industries
    -Focus on sustainable work/life balance (doesn't always work out, but the effort and processes in place clearly show that it's a priority)
    -Accessibility of partner group
    -Travel limited to situations/cases where it's useful (not every case requires travel)
    -Generalist approach allows for diversity of experiences, but still opportunities to specialize

Cons

Not your normal 9-5 job - can be intense at times
    Like other consulting firms, relatively high turnover compared to industry
    Some of the bigger offices have reached size where it's difficult to know everyone in the office

Continue focusing on culture

An incredible growth experience

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

More variety in staffing than at peers, always being pushed to the next level, strong friendships and mentorships across all levels of the organization, management works very hard to address issues

Cons

While Bain has made efforts to moderate the downsides of consulting as an industry, they're still there. Like in any client service industry, there can be last-minute requests, difficult client relationships and crush periods, as well as the usual travel lifestyle. I do feel like Bain does a good job of managing these to the highest extent possible, but they're still a fact of life.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!