Bain & Company Reviews

Reset
4.6
Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Interesting business problems with some of the biggest companies in the world; great people, great compensation (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment (in 108 reviews)

Incredible support and development

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

An highly supportive culture creates an environment with an incredibly steep experience curve. Looking back over my 3 years at the firm I am amazed at how much I have developed across all aspects of the professional skillset spectrum, but at no point did I feel "over-my-head" due to the strong mentors - both on cases and in general - who have been there for me at every step of the way.

Cons

While this is an issue present in the majority of firms, and Bain overall seems to be ahead-of-the-curve, I would love to see a strong female presence in senior management levels.

2. Great place to work for

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Very talented but humble colleagues
    - Stimulating work

Cons

- Volatile work-life balance (as with all consulting jobs)
    - Some projects can be less-stimulating than others

Advice to Management

- Need to make a more attractive value proposition in order to compete with start-ups that offer attractive jobs with great compensation and benefits

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company culture, smart and hardworking peers, interesting projects that address pressing client problems

Cons

As with all consulting, hours can at times be unpredictable and travel is often a significant part of the job

5. Excellent place to launch a business career

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

I chose Bain for the people. I have used this criteria for most of the major decisions in my life and I have yet to be disappointed. Bainies are absolutely excellent individuals. They are driven, smart, funny and kind. I absolutely adore coming to work because the people are fantastic. Additionally Bain provides a lot of training and support.

Cons

The work life balance is challenging. Either you'll be working long hours 10+ on some days, or you'll be traveling to another city most days of the work week. That being said, I have never had to work on the weekends and that is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Bain should try to innovate and compete on compensation and benefits rather than just following McKinsey's lead. I think that would show that Bain actually cares about its employees rather than just doing enough so that they're comparable to "the other guy".

Associate Consultant in Dallas, Texas

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

The people who work at Bain are some of the most caring, bright, fun and passionate individuals I have ever had the opportunity to surround myself with. I feel fully supported by the company in all of my work endeavors, and they have even been incredibly supportive through personal injuries that have occured off the job.

The mentorship programs at Bain are unparalleled. The leadership team has a vested interest in all of the associate consultants, and the focus groups (Women at Bain, Global Development, and others) all ensure extra support for different communities and interests.

I couldn't be happier with my employer and the people that I get to work with. Throughout my first year with the company I believe I have grown immensely in my work and inter-personal skills.

Cons

As in all consulting firms, you don't always get to choose the content of your case or the type of work you will be doing. I often enjoy the people I am around more so than the work that I am doing. However, one of the benefits of this type of work is that everything changes, and one bad case will end and likely transform into a new good one.

7. Great Launching Pad, Fantastic Culture

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bain is a phenominal place to advance your career and get experiences and exposure that will set you up for success no matter what path you take next. One area in which Bain excels is culture and community. It is amazing how they are able to bring together such a diverse but compatible group of people, and how heavily they invest in your ability to build bonds within your classes, teams, and office across all levels of the organization.

Cons

Overall Bain is definitely less travel heavy that it's key competitors. While I understand how some find this appealing, I personally wish I had the ability to travel more regularly.

8. Best place to start out of undergrad

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work you do shows up in the news. The clients you work for employ thousands of people, and you affect their lives.

Cons

You're always doing things that others - clients, partners, managers, etc. - tell you to do.

Advice to Management

Don't oversell to recruits. Your best asset is not your abliity to recruit, but your ability to develop people.

9. Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work Culture and extremely talented people.

Cons

Not a great work life balance, unpredictability

Advice to Management

Focus on improving work life balance and try make the place less hierarchial

10. Start your career at Bain

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a better place to launch a career: incredible mentorship from management; extremely supportive culture; high level of accountability that leads to amazing learning opportunities

Cons

The job/hours can get exhuasting after a while

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

The culture is unlike any other organization (professional or otherwise) that I've ever seen. The commitment to developing people and environment of constant learning makes for a great workplace. The internal promotions are based on merit and allow you to quickly move into great opportunities. I've spent the last six months on transfer into our Sydney office and had a great time working here as well. The exit opportunities (whether business school or another job) are excellent. As soon as you start working at Bain you start receiving emails from recruiters for private equity firms and corporate strategy roles. And the alumni network is a great resource of people willing to help you further your career

Cons

Downside to all management consulting is that it comes with a lifestyle sacrifice. Bain does a great job of trying to make it as sustainable as possible but when you work in client services like this there will always be some long weeks. Some offices are better than others when it comes to managing lifestyle so if you're considering working at Bain make sure you consider which office you'll work in. Best way to find out is to talk to the people working in that office because they'll give you an honest take

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The most important part of our company is the culture and please make sure that stays a priority well into the future with the people we hire and the investments we make.

RSS Feed </> Embed