Bain & Company
www.bain.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Bain & Company Reviews

Pros:
  • "Office-centric project staffing: stronger local relationship building, better work life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 72 reviews
  • "Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment"
    in 80 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best place to learn and develop as a business leader

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsWorking with phenomenal people on some of the toughest and most interesting business problems in the world. You are constantly being pushed to improve and expand your skills and somehow finding room for a lot of fun of your co-workers.

ConsFast-paced job can lead to a fast-paced lifestyle, you need to be pretty flexible with outside commitments and be ready for wahtever your client/project team needs.

Learning experience in a great culture

Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsBain is a place with a wonderful and strong culture, a strong focus on professional development, and a real drive toward delivery of results for the client

ConsAs with any consulting firm, you will face consulting hours and difficult travel at times. The promotions can be somewhat slow for type-a's, but generally still fast paced.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to re-inforce the culture. It is what makes Bain stand out from the consulting norm.

Bain is a fun learning environment where you can have real impact right away

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsBain has the most fun, creative and intelligent people of any firm in the world. Bain clients are leaders in their industries and give us free reign to peer inside their companies and make suggestions for improvement, so the work is stimulating, challenging and has deep and lasting impacts. Bain is a trusted advisor in so many different industries and has developed IP on many sectors such that the business education Bainies recieve is well-rounded. Beyond the case work, the office culture is quirky and values the individuals that make it up. There are frequent and fun office events that are both planned by the office administration and that bubble up from people at all tenures here as a result of the passions they have at work (i.e. a discussion on Bain's outlook on the world economy) or the passions they have outside of work (i.e. a discussion from Whitney Tilson on the state of the educational inequity in the United States and what we can do about it). Bain's dedication to it's community here in New York is also inspiring: we work extensively with many local non-profits to raise money, donate consulting services and other time for volunteer projects to the organizations that we care about. Finally, the "extra-curriculars" ranging from Bain sports to the Bain band (that rehearses in a real recording studio and performs as the entertainment for the whole office at our summer meeting) fill the work place with energy and create lasting bonds between the extraordinary individuals who work here.

ConsLike any service firm, the hours can be unpredictable. That said, Bain managers and leaders put a focused effort on building sustainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to innovate in recruiting to be on the front lines of diversifying the workplace and offering opportunties to your employees along the lines of externship and flexibly workplace models to sustain a long career at Bain.

This is one of the best jobs for someone right out of college or an MBA program

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsThe poeple who work here make all the difference. There is also a level of introspection and self application of our tools where Bain tends to overcommunicate and work hard to ensure that this is a great place to work. The partners here really do care that the most junior people have great experiences. Also, from day 1 of being an AC through being a Consultant, everyone's input is asked for and the quality of your input is what guides the conversation, not your rank or tenure.

ConsLike all management consulting firms, this is a rigorous experience. No one should come to Bain or any of its competitors if they're not willing to work very hard at times. On the whole my hours have been very reasonable, but there are cases where hours spike and you might be traveling 3-4 days a week. I think Bain is better at managing this than other firms and works to mitigate this downside, but it's something to be aware of when applying for jobs.

No better place to start a career

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsI truly believe there is no better place to start your career than at Bain. At Bain you are given opportunities to work with senior level executives, solve challenging business problems, and spend each day with co-workers who are incredibly talented yet down to earth

ConsIn a professional services firm lifestyle is not always predictable but management does the best they can to plan ahead to reduce issues

Advice to Senior ManagementBain can do a better job providing opportunities for ACs/Consultants to develop more expertise in areas they are passionate about

Bain provided the best post-graduate Business education I could have received at any job.

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsBain has a great culture - people you enjoy working with and spending time with outside of work.

ConsWe are very tenure-based in promotions. It is a meritocracy, but only within certain broader guidelines for required tenure at certain positions.

Proud Alumni

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company

ProsWorking at Bain was a pleasure and a joy. My colleagues were smart, impressive and enjoyable to spend time with. I learned a tremendous amount and felt prepared for my business life, post-Bain. I now have friends for life and an exceptional business network.

ConsMore multinational clients and time 'on the coal-face' with clients means time away from home. I am fully supportive of being client-facing but it's a conscious trade-off that applicants will need to make (and no different from the competition).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the fantastic global training sessions!

Great learning experience with fantastic people

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company

ProsGreat culture with lots of smart people who are fun to work with. Exposure to lots of business problems, good learning opportunities.

ConsThe job typically requires a lot of travel and nights away from home. The hours can be very long too.

Great people, challenging opportunities

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsWhile consulting with any of the major firms is an outstanding foundation for a career, Bain offers the opportunity to work with a special group of people that are incredibly smart, fun-loving, and supportive beyond belief. The friendships and mentorships you will develop at Bain are truly what make the job.

ConsAs with any client services firm, lifestyle can be vary depending on case and client demands, but the best managers focus the team's time on the highest priority demands.

Awesome experience

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros-Intense focus on professional development, for both a future in and outside of Bain
-Amazing friendly and social atmosphere/culture
-Opportunity to work on the most challenging questions and most leveraged issues companies face
-Office transfer and externship program make it easy to explore other opportunities geographically or in other industries
-Focus on sustainable work/life balance (doesn't always work out, but the effort and processes in place clearly show that it's a priority)
-Accessibility of partner group
-Travel limited to situations/cases where it's useful (not every case requires travel)
-Generalist approach allows for diversity of experiences, but still opportunities to specialize

ConsNot your normal 9-5 job - can be intense at times
Like other consulting firms, relatively high turnover compared to industry
Some of the bigger offices have reached size where it's difficult to know everyone in the office

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focusing on culture

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.