Bain & Company Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.6
1,000 Reviews

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 94 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 101 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible Experience

Current Employee - Summer Associate Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Summer Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people and culture, the opportunities to contribute even as an intern, and the exposure to a wide variety of industries. You develop skills that are applicable to many fields. Moreover, as an intern, they organize fun social activities so you really not only get a feel for the office and culture, but also get to know everyone well. Personal development is big - so they're really trying to help you build your repertoire of skills and expertise.

Cons

Work can sometimes be a bit tedious, but nothing you shouldn't expect as a first-year anywhere!

Great company

Current Employee - Manager Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart People, lots of incentives, they do a great job to help you have a good work-life balance considering the hours that are worked.

Cons

It's not always stimulating in this position. Work comes in waves and more often than not, I'm not really excited about my work.

Drive real changes to solve big problems, while learning a ton and having a clear career path

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Interesting, impactful work: There is rarely a boring day, much less a boring project. The problems we're solving are usually what's written in the WSJ about our client - big, complicated challenges, often challenges that are leading issues for that entire industry. And my clients regularly tell me (over many years now) that they would have missed huge opportunities or never driven the required changes successfully without our help.

- Continuous learning curve: The people above you really want you to be successful and offer a ton of valuable coaching and feedback. You are constantly improving yourself. And those skills will be valuable no matter where you go - you get really good, for example, at separating what matters from what does not, or at making difficult changes happen in complex organizations.

- Great people: You have incredibly smart and interesting collegues. Yet they're also collaborative, supportive, and relatively down to earth for folks with fancy degrees.

- Smoothly-functioning meritocracy: There's so much less office politics and similar nonsense that you experience at so many companies, even well-regarded ones. At Bain the people who deserve to get promoted get promoted, you get more responsibility as soon as you're ready, most everyone gets along well with each other, and the pay and benefits are consistent and generally very good.

Cons

- Lifestyle can be challenging: First the positive - there is more scope to manage your lifestyle than many people think. Once I've gotten comfortable in a role at a given level in Bain, I've found I can create great results for clients in 50-55 hours a week. However, when you first join or when you are shifting to a role with more responsibility, it's probably more like 70 until you learn how to do it right. And you can never completely avoid the travel, the unpredictable client requests, checking email regularly even when not working, etc. Client service can be a tough business and despite a lot of effort and good intention Bain hasn't cracked that nut yet. If you really enjoy this job, though, you CAN make it work - it's possible if not always easy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible learning in a challenging, supportive environment with the best colleagues

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work. Smart people. Change-oriented clients. Collaborative atmosphere. Best colleagues. In general, I have found Bain to be a great place to build my career over the past five years. I look at external opportunities, and haven't found anything to be as remotely compelling as continuing here. And, when I look at the competition - I think that we work with a broad, diverse client set on their most challenging issues, and that we really partner with them to make sure they can implement what we recommend. And, not to be cliche about Bain, but the colleagues and relationships I've built have been phenomenal. I know these people are the ones I'll be in touch with 20 years from now, on a personal and/or professional basis.

Cons

Despite working hand-in-hand with our clients to enact change, we aren't actually responsible for making the decision and sometimes that is very hard to accept...especially when they don't end up doing what you think would be best.

The ultimate post HBS business school

Former Employee - Partner  in  Boston, LA
    Former Employee - Partner in Boston, LA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Understand how to develop and execute business strategy at the highest level
    Get as close to operating a company at the C Level as an advisor
    Confidence to solve the hardest business problems in the world
    Network of the next generation of business leaders

Cons

Not for anyone trying to balance their life
    Travel can be insane
    Starting to be more like McKinsey than the old Bain

Prune the vines...only the strongest should remain
    Continue to take risks and be the innovator
    Always measure results and value period

Great place to work!

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

The culture and people are amazing.

Cons

Limited opportunities on the administrative side of the business.

Smart, passionate people; probably the best of the big three if you want to do consulting

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smart, passionate people, who really care about each other and their work
    - Very much a culture of "work hard, play hard", with senior partners just as ready to let loose and have fun as the new associate consultants
    - Culture focuses on helping each other, and succeeding as a team, yet still acts as a meritocracy for rewarding performance; meritocratic comp becomes more pronounced at more senior levels

Cons

- Long hours are often part of the game at management consulting firms; anecdotally Bain is the best of the top 3, but the whole industry isn't the place for those looking to work 9-to-5
    - You will live in PowerPoint. Except when you're living in Excel.
    - High pressure, demanding schedule. You may love that, or it may grind you down. Probably both.

World class platform to develop yourself into a change-oriented leader

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Pragmatic approach that designs and executes results that stick