Bain & Company
www.bain.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Nov 7, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours"
    in 83 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Incredible Experience

Summer Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people and culture, the opportunities to contribute even as an intern, and the exposure to a wide variety of industries. You develop skills that are applicable to many fields. Moreover, as an intern, they organize fun social activities so you really not only get a feel for the office and culture, but also get to know everyone well. Personal development is big - so they're really trying to help you build your repertoire of skills and expertise.

ConsWork can sometimes be a bit tedious, but nothing you shouldn't expect as a first-year anywhere!

Great company

Manager Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

ProsSmart People, lots of incentives, they do a great job to help you have a good work-life balance considering the hours that are worked.

ConsIt's not always stimulating in this position. Work comes in waves and more often than not, I'm not really excited about my work.

The ultimate post HBS business school

Partner (Former Employee)
Boston, LA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUnderstand how to develop and execute business strategy at the highest level
Get as close to operating a company at the C Level as an advisor
Confidence to solve the hardest business problems in the world
Network of the next generation of business leaders

ConsNot for anyone trying to balance their life
Travel can be insane
Starting to be more like McKinsey than the old Bain

Advice to Senior ManagementPrune the vines...only the strongest should remain
Continue to take risks and be the innovator
Always measure results and value period

Great place to work!

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsThe culture and people are amazing.

ConsLimited opportunities on the administrative side of the business.

Bain is a great place to work, if you don't have a family

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are wonderful and you will learn a ton. And you'll get a great job when you leave.

ConsThe travel and hours are brutal if you have a family. If not, they're still tough, but probably pretty manageable

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the "we don't work that hard" BS in recruiting.

Incredible learning in a challenging, supportive environment with the best colleagues

Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting work. Smart people. Change-oriented clients. Collaborative atmosphere. Best colleagues. In general, I have found Bain to be a great place to build my career over the past five years. I look at external opportunities, and haven't found anything to be as remotely compelling as continuing here. And, when I look at the competition - I think that we work with a broad, diverse client set on their most challenging issues, and that we really partner with them to make sure they can implement what we recommend. And, not to be cliche about Bain, but the colleagues and relationships I've built have been phenomenal. I know these people are the ones I'll be in touch with 20 years from now, on a personal and/or professional basis.

ConsDespite working hand-in-hand with our clients to enact change, we aren't actually responsible for making the decision and sometimes that is very hard to accept...especially when they don't end up doing what you think would be best.

Drive real changes to solve big problems, while learning a ton and having a clear career path

Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Interesting, impactful work: There is rarely a boring day, much less a boring project. The problems we're solving are usually what's written in the WSJ about our client - big, complicated challenges, often challenges that are leading issues for that entire industry. And my clients regularly tell me (over many years now) that they would have missed huge opportunities or never driven the required changes successfully without our help.

- Continuous learning curve: The people above you really want you to be successful and offer a ton of valuable coaching and feedback. You are constantly improving yourself. And those skills will be valuable no matter where you go - you get really good, for example, at separating what matters from what does not, or at making difficult changes happen in complex organizations.

- Great people: You have incredibly smart and interesting collegues. Yet they're also collaborative, supportive, and relatively down to earth for folks with fancy degrees.

- Smoothly-functioning meritocracy: There's so much less office politics and similar nonsense that you experience at so many companies, even well-regarded ones. At Bain the people who deserve to get promoted get promoted, you get more responsibility as soon as you're ready, most everyone gets along well with each other, and the pay and benefits are consistent and generally very good.

Cons- Lifestyle can be challenging: First the positive - there is more scope to manage your lifestyle than many people think. Once I've gotten comfortable in a role at a given level in Bain, I've found I can create great results for clients in 50-55 hours a week. However, when you first join or when you are shifting to a role with more responsibility, it's probably more like 70 until you learn how to do it right. And you can never completely avoid the travel, the unpredictable client requests, checking email regularly even when not working, etc. Client service can be a tough business and despite a lot of effort and good intention Bain hasn't cracked that nut yet. If you really enjoy this job, though, you CAN make it work - it's possible if not always easy.

Smart, passionate people; probably the best of the big three if you want to do consulting

Consultant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros- Smart, passionate people, who really care about each other and their work
- Very much a culture of "work hard, play hard", with senior partners just as ready to let loose and have fun as the new associate consultants
- Culture focuses on helping each other, and succeeding as a team, yet still acts as a meritocracy for rewarding performance; meritocratic comp becomes more pronounced at more senior levels

Cons- Long hours are often part of the game at management consulting firms; anecdotally Bain is the best of the top 3, but the whole industry isn't the place for those looking to work 9-to-5
- You will live in PowerPoint. Except when you're living in Excel.
- High pressure, demanding schedule. You may love that, or it may grind you down. Probably both.

Associate consultant intern

I have been working at Bain & Company

Prosvery smart people, godd compensation, amazing work environment, very rewarding and motivating job

Consexpect rather long hours,
travel can be a pain, comp could be higher

World class platform to develop yourself into a change-oriented leader

Principal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Pragmatic approach that designs and executes results that stick