Bain & Company Reviews

Reset
4.6
Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Interesting business problems with some of the biggest companies in the world; great people, great compensation (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment (in 108 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Incredible support and development

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

An highly supportive culture creates an environment with an incredibly steep experience curve. Looking back over my 3 years at the firm I am amazed at how much I have developed across all aspects of the professional skillset spectrum, but at no point did I feel "over-my-head" due to the strong mentors - both on cases and in general - who have been there for me at every step of the way.

Cons

While this is an issue present in the majority of firms, and Bain overall seems to be ahead-of-the-curve, I would love to see a strong female presence in senior management levels.

2. Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent learning opportunity for new graduates
    - Bright leadership and extremely friendly consulting staff
    - Rewarding and merit-based career ladder
    - Good opportunity of international experiences for those who ask for it

Cons

- Working hours can vary a lot and can be very intense also for long periods
    - Learning curve is quite steep: it can be very challenging at the beginning

3. Great place to work for

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bain & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Very talented but humble colleagues
    - Stimulating work

Cons

- Volatile work-life balance (as with all consulting jobs)
    - Some projects can be less-stimulating than others

Advice to Management

- Need to make a more attractive value proposition in order to compete with start-ups that offer attractive jobs with great compensation and benefits

5. Great spirit and great opportunities

Current Employee - Case Team Leader
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities both as part of regular case work and beyond (externships, secondments, LoA, ...)
    Great atmosphere and spirit (Bain World Cup, office parties, office offsites, ...)

Cons

The usual consulting cons:
    Working hours can be tough
    Little control over own time as a junior team member

6. Great company fresh out of college

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an amazing platform to be exposed firsthand to high-level issues at big companies, with a lot of travel (I'm based out of Southeast Asia). As a fresh college graduate, I am hard pressed to think of another industry that will offer the same types of opportunities.

Bain specifically, has an amazing collegiate culture that it's hard to tell friend from colleague at times (can be both a good and bad problem). The SEA office is also very diverse (our second most prevalent nationality is Italian), which makes for an interesting set of colleagues nonetheless.

Being in the SEA office specifically can also be really helpful to professional development immensely - I've had a lot of exposure to senior clients very early on, even in my first year that I find my colleagues in the US don't experience as much. Also, since we are a less developed market, the projects I work on are very much growth oriented with many "2020 Ambitions" strategic projects thrown into the fray. There is a huge opportunity to work on really high-level, less process-oriented projects that one is more likely to work on if he/she were in the US.

Cons

As much as the projects here are great, there is also limitations to what we do - there is less data in less developed markets for example and clients are not as sophisticated as they are in the developed world. This means various things from tougher work life balance to data analysis limitations when the biggest hurdle is actually getting the data.

7. Exciting and challenging consulting job at a top tier global firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Bainies have a great team spirit, are down to earth fun to work with
    - The case work is challenging and very diverse, both in terms of industries and functional areas covered
    - If you are willing to work hard, you are rewarded with lots of responsibility early on as well as a steep learning curve and exciting development opportunities

Cons

- Working at Bain can be challenging because consulting firms do business in a very competitive market, which can cause projects to have ambitious timelines involving long working hours
    - Be prepared to travel a lot - this can be strenuous for some people

Advice to Management

- While being on an ambitious growth path, it becomes even more important to strengthen the culture and ensure that every new starter becomes a true Bainie

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great, work is interesting and great culture in general

Cons

Hours are long and compensation is lower than other high performance industries

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the culture and people

9. Great place if you're looking for a management consulting career

Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic global culture based on (in my mind) collaboration, high ambition and pragmatism (a rare thing among consulting firms)

Many events such as a global football tournament and global training sessions

Really well paid job

Meritocratic promotion system

Cons

Hard work, but not harder than other firms in the same industry

Travel, but less so than other firms in the same industry

Being #3 in terms of size means Bain often need something extra to win in tenders where McK and BCG is involved. That can result in tough cases

10. Bain Brussels Assessment

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Brussels (Belgium)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Brussels (Belgium)

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

- Bain supportive culture. On the first hand, efficient professional development programmes are in place, ensuring all employees can optimize their learnings, both from clients and colleagues. We get to work on several types of cases, developing communication skills, analytical skills, etc. On the other hand, a Bainie never lets another Bainie down. We can always count on the support of our colleagues and a eal one team spirit exists.

- Impact: As from the day you join Bain, you get involved in decisions and interact with senior clients. You feel you have an impact as of day 1 and this is great!

- Fun: Several team and office events are organized to keep the fun dimension high, including a Bain World cup, team events, etc. I also helps enhance the overall atmosphere on a daily basis. Your colleagues become friends and this is unique.

Cons

- Working hours tend to be quite heavy in comparison of other "industry" jobs. However, Pros clearly counterbalance them!

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company culture, smart and hardworking peers, interesting projects that address pressing client problems

Cons

As with all consulting, hours can at times be unpredictable and travel is often a significant part of the job

RSS Feed </> Embed