Bain & Company

www.bain.com

Bain & Company Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority(in 84 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours(in 94 reviews)

Amazing experience, unparalleled learning, awesome colleagues, company that really cares

Principal (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart down to earth colleagues, high impact work, great compensation,unparalleled training ground in business, high integrity partners, high focus on the individual, Bain always leans in when employees have challenges outside of work (eg health or personal issues). I have nothing but great things to say about Bain

ConsLong hours, unpredictable travel at times

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the efforts to make the job more manageable

Great company to build foundational business skills

Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Fun work hard, play hard culture
    - Best business training ground
    - Help make real change at clients, not just perform studies

Cons- Lot of hours
    - Can be a lot of trouble, although they have improved this quite a bit (office dependent also)
    - Up or out meritocracy is good if you're going up, no so much if you are good but just need more time to mature

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the need for some consultants to take more time to make it to the next level, and give it to them

Great company to work for with an outstanding culture that I've never seen repeated at another company

Consulting Support Staff (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWe have smart people and an outstanding culture at our company. Everyone works as a team, always willing to help out, never let a Bainie fail. We do exciting work and have great learning opportunities while having worklife balance. What also is unique is our global network of outstanding professionals around the world.

ConsGrowth opportunities for Consulting Support Staff are not as great

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work on the unique culture at Bain

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding firm with amazing people. I love this place!

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people are outstanding. Bain has built an incredibly special culture that is down to earth, collegial, supportive, intellectually stimulating, and just out right fun. I absolutely love coming to work here and truly miss the office and our people when I'm away. That's a rarity and something I cherish each day.

ConsClient services is inherently challenging when it comes to work/life balance. Bain has a huge number of systems in place to track work/life balance and ensure each person has a great experience overall, but consulting will at times mean travel and late nights. Overall, I've found the firm and the people to be extremely flexible and willing to help you make this career work. Everyone here is invested in their life outside of Bain, so we are all aligned towards the same goal!

Best place to start a career and really learn the skills to run a business

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFantastic place to learn the full set of what it means to run a business, balancing both innovation and pragmatism. You will not find a more thoughtful, intelligent group of people who truly view the client's business as their own, and work hard to solve the problem (while remaining humble).

ConsThe work/life challenges exist, as you'd expect in any management consulting job. Occassionaly, you could find yourself working on a project that you are less passionate about (e.g. in an industry you don't really like), and that makes the work/life trade-offs more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost important issue facing the company today is the talent gap we have, given our growth potential. The firm should be tripling down on solving this problem ASAP. Find alternate sources of talent and ensure the existing people we have get everything they need to develop into effective managers/partners.

A great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent mentorship, terrific client base, and a system built around maximizing individual development, client results, and work-life balance. The company does an excellent job of trying to keep employees happy while taking no shortcuts in providing maximum value to their clients.

ConsIt is a consulting firm, so the quality of life and day-to-day work enjoyment depends on the nature of the client and engagement type that you are assigned to.

A fun culture of highly intelligent people collaborating to bring first-class results to clients' toughest problems

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun loving, yet hard working culture. You will want to be with the people you work with, making case teams a truly enjoyable experience. Bias towards coaching/mentoring really pays off for new starts, and encourages those who become senior to pass it on to their mentees. Encourages a one team attitude throughout.

ConsYou will travel for this job, so don't come into it with any misperceptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to set the example of the best of both worlds - delivering superior value, coaching up direct reports and all associates you interact with, while having a blast doing it.

Executive Assistant Approves!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat leadership, amazing opportunities, intellectually stimulating, outstanding benefits, feels like family.

ConsNothing to report here - Bain has exceeded my expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I've been an EA for 15+ years and have never felt more included in the company and culture as I have at Bain. Bain cares about everyone (not just the consulting staff) and they prove it every day.

Excellent Job

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people, committed management, Excellent culture. This is a great place to work out of school, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

ConsConsulting industry means a lot of travel. Generally low comp relative to some other options. I think the lifestyle can also get tough at times, so be prepared for some long hours occasionally. At those times, the job doesn't seem worth it, but if you look over a 3-6 month period, I always felt very happy to be where I was.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eye on the ball - was phenomenal and getting better while I was there.

International management consulting firm is a great first job out of college that prepares you to break into other areas

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDiligence of private equity targets in various industries, financial data analysis and modeling, market research, customer surveys, and collaborating with clients on strategy and buy-in to Bain action plans on 2-10+ person teams. Fantastic culture, you will become part of a worldwide family and make friends who will be with you for life.

ConsCan feel distanced from true products and services, often feels like you are just giving advice rather than taking action. Can be variable, long hours, not the best job in terms of hourly wage.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!