Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros:
  • "The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours"
    in 83 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Incredible instructive, educational and exciting experience.

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Milan (Italy)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent mentorship, a system built around maximising individual development, client results and satisfaction. Interesting experience for peolpe who like challenges.

ConsA lot of work and pressure, the flexibility of the consultants is the strengh of the company so it doesn't matter what time is it, if the client is not satisfy, we keep working.

Part-time Associate

Part-Time Associate (Former Employee)
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Bain & Company part-time for less than a year

Prosfast-paced but very rewarding experience

Conslonger working hours until midnight

The BEST place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsAs others have said, this place is full of amazing people. Interesting, high-impact work. There is no better place to start your career.

ConsHours can be long but it is possible to create a sustainable lifestyle

The best job I've ever had

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsI am an Executive Assistant and absolutely love it. There is a tremendous investment on people here at Bain. That's important to feel especially in a support staff role. I feel empowered, encouraged and valued in my role. The work is always changing, and that keeps it fun and exciting. The focus on work life balance is unlike anything I've ever seen for EAs. Also, there are opportunities galore - if you are interested in learning a different industry - be it HR, IT, Recruiting, Marketing, etc, they take those desires seriously and will work to place you in that space.

ConsSecuring conference room space is getting difficult because we are growing so much!

Advice to Senior ManagementI am so impressed with your continuous improvement focus! Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you!

My company values my work and creates an platform to constantly learn and grow.

Coordinator (Current Employee)
Delhi (India)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

ProsLearning scope, Work enviornment, People who invests in your development, work and life balance and last but not least the fun time/party time.

ConsWell maintaining office time here in India office and then getting back to the calls for projects in the evening... kind of at times kilss the whole day. Practically one would be working whole day.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell word of advice would be to do the good work they have been doing all this days.... its really nice to be part of such a firm which invests in our growth and happiness.

Awesome place to work!

New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a part of the Shared Services team at Bain, I am a strong promoter. The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with. Employees feel valued and broad based benefits that are provided here are great. Most importantly, working at Bain is FUN :)

ConsI think the biggest challenge for shared-services employees is career progression and lack of a defined career path. A structured performance based growth plan is missing for most shared services teams.

Dynamic and challenging learning environment with top-notch people to support you

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are engaged, smart and interested. Projects and teams are focused on results and driving real impact. You'll take on work that allows you to grow and learn and realize that you are learning a lot along the way. There are countless opportunities for advancement and growth (for your position, office).

ConsAlmost everyone is time constrained and focused on results, so this creates a constant flow of work that is never done and can pile up.

Great place to start career in consulting

Consultant/Case Team Leader (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice culture, interesting cases, solid leadership

ConsHours, travel, uneven mentoring, unable to specialize for several years

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great experience that I would recommend to anyone coming out of school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company

ProsExcellent learning experience. Great people. Great business experience that has and I believe will continue to pay dividends in my professional life.

ConsExhausting schedule if traveling. Not always the flexibility to work on the types of cases you wanted to work on. Potential to have an unbalanced case load. There a few people that I have in mind that were consistently staffed on bad cases (long hours, unattractive travel, difficult CTL, etc.) and others that were consistently staffed on good ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromise of work/life balance sometimes goes out the door, if the client is deemed important enough. My time at Bain was interesting because the economy was bad (2008 - 2011). It felt as though management was going the extra mile to prove its value to clients at a time when clients were cutting discretionary costs. A lot of people in my class felt burnt, because they chose Bain and sacrificed some earnings relative to IB, in part due to work life balance, but still felt like they were working banker hours (obviously, we had more job security, but that point can get lost in times of frustration). Again, I was at Bain during an interesting time, so not sure how consistent my experience is with those of ACs/SACs today, but my advice is that if you are going to make work/life balance a selling point, follow through lest you'll have some disgruntled ACs. While most in my class stuck around for SAC year, it felt like an unusually high number of people chose not to accept B school sponsorship or left only after a year or 2 of a direct promote. I also recall a lot of people in the class below mine leaving before SAC year.

Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsVery case heavy - no different case structures

ConsMust be very structured in thinking

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 487 reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.