Bain & Company

www.bain.com

Bain & Company Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority(in 84 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours(in 94 reviews)

Fantastic place to work

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat variety of experience while developing a highly transferrable skill set; the coaching and mentoring you will get is fantastic, you are given the tools you need to grow and continue learning; competitive compensation; international transfer opportunities can be life-changing; great exit options; and most of all the people are amazing (extremely talented yet humble); Chicago office is one of the best in the global system

ConsThe travel eventually takes its toll (though Bain does what it can to manage this and all the miles/points you’ll accumulate are a perk); your work-life balance and overall satisfaction for any 3-6 month period is highly project dependent (the rare poorly matched team or occasionally ornery client can make life difficult)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in professional development of employees and never stray from the wonderful Bain culture

Great people & better management

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Management puts a lot of thought into structures and decisions that truly differentiate this place.
    -People here are not just satisfied, they are enthusiastic. That brings energy into the work.
    -The work is awesome!

ConsThough Bain does a great job of making it easier, consulting is a hard job

Excellent place to start your career

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork with incredible people while developing invaluable analytical skills & understanding of business, Very entrepreneurial and gives you opportunities to contribute to the office in ways you like through "Extra 10s". Lots of formal and informal mentorship as well for learning.

ConsVery steep learning curve, hours more unpredictable (as with all consulting jobs)

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring AC1 year, when new grads are just making that transition from 16+ years of school to working full-time, be sure to invest a lot of time in support. It seems that the first year is the most likely time for ACs to feel very dissatisfied with work depending on what kind of case(s) they are put on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Consultant

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent opportunity to work at the highest levels at a variety of global companies.

ConsFrat boy culture sometimes is difficult to crack.

Great company to launch a career

Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Diversity of projects creates many learning opportunities
    - Great on the job training and both hard & soft skill building
    - Strong culture focused on performance
    - Smart, driven colleagues

Cons- Projects aren't always interesting
    - Project lengths are increasing, meaning there are fewer opportunites to see more industries & functions
    - Client service means life is unpredictable

Unmatched people and opportunity

Case Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the most talented people around and the marketing story is real - there is a true focus on results and making sure recommendations can be implemented and deliver real value. While there are a variety of personalities at all the consulting firms, Bain under-indexes on "tough" personalities that people are trying to avoid working with, which is where you really feel the "people" difference at Bain.

ConsThe work/life balance is tough as is the case with any consulting firm, and there's a fairly strong bias toward former AC's at the Consultant (post-MBA) level. Coming in new from business school, you'll feel "behind" the former AC's, which is a challenging gap to close as they will tend to get accelerated opportunities and higher level performers to manage early on.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. The firm is fantastic and the client results are amazing.

Great Company, Great People!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBain is an incredible place to work. Like all EA’s, we want to work for a great company. More importantly (at least for me), is the Executive(s) we support within the company, that makes coming into work every day fun! The Bain Atlanta office Executives are amazing (great personalities, fun, considerate and tough). We give our best to Bain and get the best in the return, employees DO NOT take advantage of Bain’s kindness (this is amazing). Bain’s catch-phrase is absolutely true "A Bainee never lets another Bainee down".

ConsAs an EA, I think teaming structure (coverage team) is the toughest part of the job. You MUST invest in your team and get to know each other well. If your team does not sync, it can make coming into work stressful and significantly less-fun!

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice from an EA, about your EAs - while Bain is good to the EA group (admin staff), I think it would be nice if we were given additional perks for exceptional commitment, loyalty, and a great job done, i.e. larger annual bonus, spot bonus program, work from home opportunities, when needed, VP approval only).

Great Experience

Case Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, challenging environment, fast moving

ConsWorking hours, travel, work life balance

Great learning experience - but not very sustainable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat way to build a generalist management toolkit; every year you learn a different skillset and have can get exposure to many industries in short timeframe

ConsWork/life balance is difficult despite continued focus from management; don't plan on having a life outside work during the week

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate incentives for partners to become stronger coaches; all of the good coaching happens at lower levels of the team

Amazing people and a lot of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople and culture
    Great learning opportunities

ConsWork life balance could be tough if travelling but still better than other consulting firms

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!