Bain & Company

Updated November 24, 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that cares, and that isn't full of itself

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At Bain, people really care about each other and about their clients, and the single biggest reason for that is the humble attitude that's at the core of the company. There's a genuine sentiment of being "at cause," i.e., doing what's required to successfuly resolve the ask of the day, and it's pretty inspiring to find a large number of people at a global company aligned around a value like that.

Cons

Consulting is a demanding career, period. Client service entails a certain non-predictability and readiness to live with peaks and ebbs in terms of hours. Bain is not any different from other consulting firms in that regard.

The key thing that has made/kept this company great is humility. We still have a lot of it - but as we grow, and as we receive honors/awards like the "#1 place to work in the U.S.," let's make sure never to lose humility. We're not the end all be all of things, and we're not the smartest people on the planet, and we shouldn't ever act like we are. That's why people like to work here, and why clients like to work with us.

Bain is a place that does meaningful, high impact work, with sharp focus on development of its consultants

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are constantly learning and being challenged and stimulated in the work at Bain. The office-centric staffing model means that you develop a tight network within a close-knit office community and people are even more invested in your development. It's a merit-based culture that provides tons of opportunities to consultants in their case roles. The culture is second-to-none with a management team that cares about sustainability and making sure the job is workable and enjoyable for everyone. Bain is outgrowing its competitors which means there's tons of opportunity here.

Cons

There are currently a number of legacy clients with large, long-term programs, which means there's less variety of client work at any given time. Expectations are very high so you must be up to the challenge to push yourself beyond your comfort zone and always outperforming expectations. Work can be unpredictable and staffing does not always go your way.

You can't find a better first job.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never been around a group of people as highly motivated and yet intensely caring; people want you to succeed not just because it makes them look good, but because apprenticeship and mentorship are the lifeblood of the business. Relaxed, informal culture that gives you the opportunity and skills to succeed.

Cons

Long hours, and the fact that you are never the one creating something; the hallmark of success at this job is helping someone else succeed.

Keep doing what you're doing; as long as the business is growing and we are taking share, the opportunities will come and people will be happy.

Bain & Company Response

Nov 25, 2014Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience of our supportive culture. It’s terrific to know your colleagues care about your professional development and, you're right, helping our clients ... More

Unmatched professional development

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional development, extremely structured thinking, mentors that really look out for you, extremely challenging problems, meritocratic with many step-up opportunities, office interest groups, extremely transparent organization, free weekends, worldwide trainings, great clients, private equity leadership, colleagues I enjoy being around and learning from

Cons

Constantly pushing at work and very high expectations for work - not as much the hours, but the pace can feel like a grind

Learned a lot.

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

good training. good data analysis training. good understanding of business principles. good analytics of current market.

Cons

not many challenges. overall great place to work. learn a lot. good compensation. good professional development.

Amazing experience

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The people you work with will become your best friends.
    - Smart people and great mentors. The quality of the people is very consistent.
    - Challenging work everyday.
    - Informal culture which is incredibly consistent at all offices.
    - Global transfer opportunities and top-notch training.

Cons

-Work life balance, as is to be expected in consulting. However, at my office, you usually get credit for a particularly tough case and can choose to be on something easier.

Keep it up! If possible, continue effort to monitor work-life balance and make sure people in tough cases get rotated into easier ones.

An excellent place to work!

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great people, perks and interesting work. Leadership team is strong and focuses on what is important.

Cons

Hours can get difficult at times.

Amazing benefits and culture

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture
    Great benefits (medical & dental, great PTO, fun parties & events, great comp)
    Non-hierarchical (everyone treats the EA's as well as they do the consulting staff)
    Job satisfaction

Cons

I think sometimes people talk about work-life balance being an issue in the consulting industry but I don't see it reflected here. I'm sure some of the consulting staff might have a rough case here or there but I haven't heard it being the norm.

Keep up the good work!

Pragmatic, no-nonsense place to work for with great human capital

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Where Bain stands out is
    -Professional development.
    -Apprenticeship
    -Strong fun culture
    -High impact projects
    -Opportunities to see across many capabilities and industries

Cons

Working at Bain means you'll have to deal with
    -Sustainability issues; it is client services after all
    -Hard to always predict work hours and travel schedule
    -How the firm is run can sometimes be opaque

Consider being more open to change faster. Sometimes can be a bit too conservative on how to change the existing model

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I am given a lot of responsibility and ownership in the work I do. There is always opportunities to learn, on the job, in-office training, Global Training programs (if you are a consultant) and within your department. I have a global network of smart colleagues who are supportive. I am able to work remotely, though when and how often really depends on your manager.

Cons

As an adminstrative (CSS) employee, there are few opportunities for career advancement.