Bain & Company

www.bain.com

Bain & Company Reviews

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, challenging opportunities

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWhile consulting with any of the major firms is an outstanding foundation for a career, Bain offers the opportunity to work with a special group of people that are incredibly smart, fun-loving, and supportive beyond belief. The friendships and mentorships you will develop at Bain are truly what make the job.

ConsAs with any client services firm, lifestyle can be vary depending on case and client demands, but the best managers focus the team's time on the highest priority demands.

Great people, pay, and work

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsHigh compensation
    Fun and very smart people
    Incredibly supportive

ConsLong hours can be tiring

They care about you here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI am always amazed how flexible Bain management will be to accomodate personal needs. Time off, or reducing travel or different staffing. It feels like they really care about me as a person.

ConsWe are on the road a lot...this is a hard job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe do a good job with providing externships, but I think we coule even offer more externships...not just for SACs, but for all levels.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bain has been full of learning and professional development - there's no place else I would have rather started out.

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-Professional development opportunities
    -Individual impact to case teams, clients, and firm
    -Fun colleagues to work with
    -Heavy focus on mentoring
    -Frequent office-bonding events

Cons-Though managers usually try to mitigate it, the hours can sometimes be long and unpredictable
    -If you don't like to travel, the job can be rough (even though we travel probably less than other consulting firms)

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great place to work if you are passionate about solving business problems

Case Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros*Work on really interesting and important problems
    *Lots of formal and informal training that help you get valuable skills for the future
    *Wonderful group of people who are fun to spend time with

Cons*Hours can be long sometimes
    *Most travel cases are two nights a week, which is managable, but a minority are three nights a week which can be tough
    *Work can be stressful. It's important that you actually care about solving the problem and helping the clients. If you do, then that helps make it through difficult situations. If you don't really care, then this isn't the right job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to give excellent coaching and make yourselves available to the teams. Always manage the clients' expectations to avoid scoop creep. (Most partners are good at this).

Exceeded my expectations across the board for a post-MBA roll

Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThis is an incredible place - I've been stretched so much and yet so strongly supported, it's been both a hell of a learning experience and a hell of a lot of fun. The laser-focus on resluts is invigorating and effective and it's inspiring to see the impact we can make at clients. My biggest concern choosing Bain over a competitor was that the companies might be less 'premier' but my first few projects have all involved co-creating strategy at the C-level of Fortune 100 companies. Now I'm actually hoping to getting experience at a smaller/privately held company. I can't recommend this place highly enough, as an empoyer or business partner.

ConsYou will work hard, and long. If you're not someone who can get passionate about transforming a client's business, it would be hard to sustain the enrgy level necessary to succeed here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great Coworkers

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proswork hard/play hard
    great co-workers
    good benefits

Conspoor management of administrative staff

Intense, but continue to learn a lot

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsClient engagements are overall very interesting and focused on the most important issues
    Culture is top rate
    People care about your development

ConsTravel can be draining. Seems to be increasing
    Can't ever be 100% sure that your personal plans will stick
    Premium product offered to clients means there's never room to relax

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being selective about client engagements. Growth at the expense of good people isn't worth it. Thanks for the support!

Decent company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people and my direct team are great to work with. Overall, it's a fun company to work for. The company perks and benefits are great (e.g., free coffee, cereal and fruit, monthly socials and gatherings to keep employees happy).

ConsUnfairness in promotion. Bain often creates job titles/positions that aren't applicable in the outside work world. There is a huge disconnect between the administrative and consulting staff in terms of treatment and pay. Senior management tend to promote within if the candidate comes from a 'consulting' background, despite the person's hands on experience and knowledge in the industry. Senior management often values a consultant's perspective/insight more so than that of an admin employee with extensive knowledge and background in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your hard working employees and their expertise. Consultants aren't the only ones with expertise to offer to Bain. Bain should be able to do things more in-house versus having projects outsourced (to India or companies with certain expertise).

Fast paced and full of positive energy

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe company has a moto of "Work Hard Play Hard" and they stand behind it. There are high expectations of employee performance and the rewards for hard work are regular. The company fosters an environment where employees from all departments and level socialize and share their views related to the business. Bain also has a commitment to improving a range of business and career skills for all employees. Employees are provided with all of the tools they need to perform their job, there are almost no questions asked about requests, this fosters a feeling of trust and respect between the employee and the company.

ConsThe only con that comes to mind is the lower salary for my position in the industry. The work load and complexity of the work load is much greater then others in the same position yet out pay is lower. Then again Bain seems to attempt to offset the lower pay with more paid socializing events.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a goal to encourage and foster mentorship for the young employees within the company. Giving the young employees a chance to learn from the older and experienced employees will open opportunities for the younger employees.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!