Bain & Company Reviews

4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, challenging opportunities

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

While consulting with any of the major firms is an outstanding foundation for a career, Bain offers the opportunity to work with a special group of people that are incredibly smart, fun-loving, and supportive beyond belief. The friendships and mentorships you will develop at Bain are truly what make the job.

Cons

As with any client services firm, lifestyle can be vary depending on case and client demands, but the best managers focus the team's time on the highest priority demands.

They care about you here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

I am always amazed how flexible Bain management will be to accomodate personal needs. Time off, or reducing travel or different staffing. It feels like they really care about me as a person.

Cons

We are on the road a lot...this is a hard job.

We do a good job with providing externships, but I think we coule even offer more externships...not just for SACs, but for all levels.

Great learning experience with fantastic people

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

Great culture with lots of smart people who are fun to work with. Exposure to lots of business problems, good learning opportunities.

Cons

The job typically requires a lot of travel and nights away from home. The hours can be very long too.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exceeded my expectations across the board for a post-MBA roll

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

This is an incredible place - I've been stretched so much and yet so strongly supported, it's been both a hell of a learning experience and a hell of a lot of fun. The laser-focus on resluts is invigorating and effective and it's inspiring to see the impact we can make at clients. My biggest concern choosing Bain over a competitor was that the companies might be less 'premier' but my first few projects have all involved co-creating strategy at the C-level of Fortune 100 companies. Now I'm actually hoping to getting experience at a smaller/privately held company. I can't recommend this place highly enough, as an empoyer or business partner.

Cons

You will work hard, and long. If you're not someone who can get passionate about transforming a client's business, it would be hard to sustain the enrgy level necessary to succeed here.

Keep it up.

Bain has been full of learning and professional development - there's no place else I would have rather started out.

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

-Professional development opportunities
    -Individual impact to case teams, clients, and firm
    -Fun colleagues to work with
    -Heavy focus on mentoring
    -Frequent office-bonding events

Cons

-Though managers usually try to mitigate it, the hours can sometimes be long and unpredictable
    -If you don't like to travel, the job can be rough (even though we travel probably less than other consulting firms)

N/A

Great place to work if you are passionate about solving business problems

Current Employee - Case Team Leader  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

*Work on really interesting and important problems
    *Lots of formal and informal training that help you get valuable skills for the future
    *Wonderful group of people who are fun to spend time with

Cons

*Hours can be long sometimes
    *Most travel cases are two nights a week, which is managable, but a minority are three nights a week which can be tough
    *Work can be stressful. It's important that you actually care about solving the problem and helping the clients. If you do, then that helps make it through difficult situations. If you don't really care, then this isn't the right job for you.

Continue to give excellent coaching and make yourselves available to the teams. Always manage the clients' expectations to avoid scoop creep. (Most partners are good at this).

Fast paced and full of positive energy

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

The company has a moto of "Work Hard Play Hard" and they stand behind it. There are high expectations of employee performance and the rewards for hard work are regular. The company fosters an environment where employees from all departments and level socialize and share their views related to the business. Bain also has a commitment to improving a range of business and career skills for all employees. Employees are provided with all of the tools they need to perform their job, there are almost no questions asked about requests, this fosters a feeling of trust and respect between the employee and the company.

Cons

The only con that comes to mind is the lower salary for my position in the industry. The work load and complexity of the work load is much greater then others in the same position yet out pay is lower. Then again Bain seems to attempt to offset the lower pay with more paid socializing events.

Set a goal to encourage and foster mentorship for the young employees within the company. Giving the young employees a chance to learn from the older and experienced employees will open opportunities for the younger employees.

The best place to work

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

-the best culture I can imagine
    -travel is so much less than competition
    -people above you actually care about you and the person you are, not just the work you do
    -everyone in the office is so helpful. Always

Cons

-hours can be long, but come on, you're a consultant, and they are really not that bad
    -sometimes stress can get high around deadlines

don't let anything happen to the great culture we have

Amazing firm

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Bain is truly an amazing firm - the people are some of the brightest, kindest, and most fun I have ever met.

Cons

It can be a bit unforgiving and overwhelming if you aren't a strong performer. But there is lots of coaching to help you "get it".

Please get rid of on-site travel 4 days/week. It is expensive for the client, demoralizing for the team, and does not add incremental value beyond the first two weeks (to meet the client) and then again for presentations. If needed, partners and senior managers should "take the hit" of travel more than ACs and Consultants. In the world of videoconferencing, it is better for sanity and cost to stay near home office.

An excellent job out of college to grow basic business skills and intuition

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Great culture, very helpful colleagues, challenging work, excellent social atmosphere - your colleagues are also friends. Not at all competitive within your start group - I honestly have no idea who is at the top or bottom of the group.

Cons

The hours can vary dramatically - some 'lifestyle cases' are really only 45 hours a week or so, whereas the worst cases can peak at 100 (though rarely for more than a week). Average is probably in the 55-60 range.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!