Bain & Company

Updated August 21, 2014

4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

A special sauce of blow-you-away culture and ferocious intelligence

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

The AC job at Bain and Company NY is the best job in the world out of undergrad. Full stop. The training you receive is unparalleled, the people are the coolest, kindest, most interesting people you could hope to befriend, and the brand name opens doors all over the world. Your colleagues will challenge you to be better without ever being cutthroat (no one discusses ratings, ever), and in many cases will be your main social group outside of work - not out of necessity, but by choice.

Cons

The work is hard, the hours are long, and you don't get paid as much overall as a banker. If you're young and don't have a family, that shouldn't be an issue for your first few years though.

A great place to work if you want to be a Strategy Consultant

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Great training ground, excellent global training programs at every level from AC to Partner. Opportunity to form global professional networks and friendships. Smart and motivated co-workers who tend to be extremely collaborative and helpful. Strong learnings and exposure to a breadth of business challenges. Excellent benefits and compensation (relative to industry jobs, not finance jobs).

Cons

Like all other top consulting firms, the hours and travel can be very demanding. Stress levels can run high. It's difficult to establish a normal life schedule during the week because a new project may mean being on the road 4 days a week. People often describe themselves as feeling "on call". The Bain culture is known to be quite conformist and emphasizes work hard / play hard -- this may or may not be for you.

Keep investing in knowledge management and systems that help teams get a good jump start and not recreate the wheel. Keep investing in strong mentorship/coaching models.

Mixed

Pros

Good learning for everyone in company

Cons

No work life balance for everyone working here

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great culture, great people, fun place to work - 800 people showed up for our global soccer tournament in Dallas- how many companies would 40 Australians show up for a weekend soccer tournament in Dallas?
    Best job for people straight out of undergrad- really launches your career and gives you a broad business prospective
    Senior leadership take a vested interest in associates
    Lots of opportunities to do non-profit work including volunteering consulting teams
    Opportunity to transfer to another office in your 3rd year for six months

Cons

Strong face time culture, lots of variability in hours because of client service industry

Continue work on sustainability- I think this drives better results for our clients since teams have to focus on the answer

Best place to work - for many, many reasons

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

The people - the recruiting process is extremely successful in finding the right Bain fit. For some, that's not the right fit, and they likely do not pursue the job (and/or are not given an offer). For others, like myself, it is the most attractive aspect of the firm, and largest differentiator for Bain among its competitors. The work is great, and the clients are all top level, and both of those categories are equal to peer companies. But its the people that make Bain really stand out.

Cons

Can have some large peaks and valleys in hours; seemingly more peaks than you would like; travel can wear on you after a while (though Bain does do the best job among companies I've seen in reducing the travel required)

Keep up the culture!

Incredible start to my career

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The open, welcoming, and fun culture allows me to truly be myself and to succeed by focusing on and enjoying my work without having to worry about perceptions, competitiveness, and other distractions. The operating principles of 'presume trust' and 'be open, honest, and direct' embody the Bain experience and have helped me develop in my personal life, as well as in my professional life. The step-up opportunities for someone just out of undergrad are incredible: the level of client exposure I had within my first six months is way more than I could've hoped for. Perhaps the best part, besides the people, is the seriousness with which professional development is taken. I learn something new every day, and that's absolutely invaluable to me. I feel confident in my work and in my trajectory knowing that I have a full team of mentors, guides, and peers here to support me. What truly encapsulates all of for me is that I unquestioningly refer to Bainies as my friends, not my colleagues.

Cons

Lifestyle, as with any consulting job, can be demanding and tough.

Bain could push harder for a more consistent work-life balance value system across all offices. Additionally, while an unquestionable leader in LGBTQ rights, there is still much to be done in offices like Madrid and elsewhere in EMEA.

Great place to develop and have fun

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Very supportive culture. Firm provides multiple resources for advice, professional development, and mentorship throughout your career.

High impact at every level of the organization. Each individual has the opportunity to contirbute to tangible results for our clients, local communities and colleagues in the office.

Cons

Work hours can be long and highly variable. Also compensation and promotion should be more merit based and flexible.

Junior staff have great ideas and want to contribute to client results. Ask more of them and they will deliver!

Interesting work and extremely fun culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Bain provides fantastic colleagues, interesting projects in varied industries, incredible professional development and a strong support structure, not to mention unparalleled exit opportunities. I feel incredibly lucky to be a Bainie.

Cons

The hours can be long at times but that is the nature of client work, plus it balances out throughout the life of a case. At times I wish I had a bit more control over my staffing, but appreciate that I am pushed to try new things.

Great culture and high level of mangement engagement

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

High level of management investment in mentoring and professional development
    Great company culture and employees
    Relatively short time on each case which results in a diversity of experience and constantly new and exciting problems to tackle

Cons

What the client wants you to work on isn't always the most fascinating topic
    Work-life balance varies greatly depending on manager and client

Fun and rewarding learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Co-workers are intelligent, friendly, and very helpful-I honestly think we have the best people of any firm in any industry; We do interesting work that (as far as I have seen) leads to great outcomes for our clients; Chance to learn about many different industries and build valuable skills; Great exit opportunities if/when you decide to leave

Cons

Work/life balance varies heavily by client and manager and can be bad in certain situations; regional staffing model does not facilitate as much travel as BCG or McKinsey's national staffing models do (this could be a pro for some people)

There are always a few case teams doing outstanding work for our clients while keeping the hours and travel very reasonable at the same time. Let's make sure ALL of our case teams have this kind of experience.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!