Bain & Company Reviews

1. Great learning opportunity

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The learning, culture, and results focus is great. It keeps me motivated and excited to work at Bain

Cons

Travel can be burdensome especially on longer duration projects

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on people development and creating a fun culture

2. An amazing, life-changing experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with smart, talented, interesting, yet humble people; working on difficult and important questions; getting exposure to so many companies, industries, and functions; great exit options

Cons

Although Bain takes a very active stance in making this job sustainable, there are times when we need to work hard to deliver for our clients. I think this is common across the consulting industry and any fast-paced career.

3. My best self

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have the privilege of getting up every day and working on client problems that truly matter. The challenge is immense, but I love helping specific individuals at my client to succeed and seeing the collective results of our work together. At every turn I am supported by a team of Bainies at my side. We are a team, and we team with our clients. Every year I think about whether Bain is the best place for me to continue to reach my personal full potential (across all dimensions -- career, personal, family), and every year I choose to stay at Bain. I know I am having an impact and am developing into the best person I can be -- as a business leader, colleague, wife and mother.

Cons

Having an engaging and worthwhile career means making some trade-offs. I travel 2-3 nights a week on average, and I work hard. However, I do not believe I work any harder than my business school classmates who are also career track/high potentials.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead the industry through a leading a collaborative culture that supports open communication, as well as innovative ways of working, including flexible models.

5. Changing the landscape of global business

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Opportunities to work with the CEOs and leadership teams that are redefining the industry - Real impact with C-level clients, much earlier in your career than with other firms

Cons

- Innovative people rarely sit still for long - Bain folks go and start companies of their own - CEOs are demanding - we need to work hard to drive the impact we want

Advice to Management

- Maintain the growth company mindset that differentiates you from your competitors, even as you are overtaking them.

Drive real changes to solve big problems, while learning a ton and having a clear career path

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Interesting, impactful work: There is rarely a boring day, much less a boring project. The problems we're solving are usually what's written in the WSJ about our client - big, complicated challenges, often challenges that are leading issues for that entire industry. And my clients regularly tell me (over many years now) that they would have missed huge opportunities or never driven the required changes successfully without our help. - Continuous learning curve: The people above you really want you to be successful and offer a ton of valuable coaching and feedback. You are constantly improving yourself. And those skills will be valuable no matter where you go - you get really good, for example, at separating what matters from what does not, or at making difficult changes happen in complex organizations. - Great people: You have incredibly smart and interesting collegues. Yet they're also collaborative, supportive, and relatively down to earth for folks with fancy degrees. - Smoothly-functioning meritocracy: There's so much less office politics and similar nonsense that you experience at so many companies, even well-regarded ones. At Bain the people who deserve to get promoted get promoted, you get more responsibility as soon as you're ready, most everyone gets along well with each other, and the pay and benefits are consistent and generally very good.

Cons

- Lifestyle can be challenging: First the positive - there is more scope to manage your lifestyle than many people think. Once I've gotten comfortable in a role at a given level in Bain, I've found I can create great results for clients in 50-55 hours a week. However, when you first join or when you are shifting to a role with more responsibility, it's probably more like 70 until you learn how to do it right. And you can never completely avoid the travel, the unpredictable client requests, checking email regularly even when not working, etc. Client service can be a tough business and despite a lot of effort and good intention Bain hasn't cracked that nut yet. If you really enjoy this job, though, you CAN make it work - it's possible if not always easy.

7. Fantastic professional development, tremendous opportunities to have an impact, collaborative and supportive culture.

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Office-centric project staffing: stronger local relationship building, better work life balance -Formal / informal global training programs -Collaborative supportive people throughout the organization interested in individual success

Cons

-Unpredictability of management consulting due to being professional services (i.e., less control over timing and duration of working demands)

Advice to Management

Continue investing in our people, and in the firm's growth. Continue social impact and education efforts. Continue focus on diversity.

8. Broad exposure to multiple industries and their most challenging problems

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great career training, unmatched exposure to CEOs and their senior leaders

Cons

I personally can improve the way I set boundaries

9. Best firm with the best culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bain has an incredibly cohesive culture, oriented towards people development and client impact. Excellent people, who are exceptionally talented. There are plenty of social events to help build strong bonds within the firm and in the offices. Talent management is taken very seriously, with one of the most comprehensive and rigorous programs at every level of development and seniority.

Cons

Need to learn the lingo (lots of acronyms), but not too daunting.

10. Exhilerating growth

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Personal impact on real companies doing important work, with lots of formal and informal support

Cons

Client work is spikey in terms of hours and stress (common to consulting industry)

11. Fantastic place to build the general manager skillset and drive meaningful change for your clients

Current Employee - Principal in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Principal in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

quality of your coworkers; work on some of the toughest business problems

Cons

Consulting is a demanding lifestyle (not unique to Bain)

RSS Feed </> Embed