Bain & Company Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to work - for many, many reasons

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people - the recruiting process is extremely successful in finding the right Bain fit. For some, that's not the right fit, and they likely do not pursue the job (and/or are not given an offer). For others, like myself, it is the most attractive aspect of the firm, and largest differentiator for Bain among its competitors. The work is great, and the clients are all top level, and both of those categories are equal to peer companies. But its the people that make Bain really stand out.

Cons

Can have some large peaks and valleys in hours; seemingly more peaks than you would like; travel can wear on you after a while (though Bain does do the best job among companies I've seen in reducing the travel required)

Keep up the culture!

Incredible start to my career

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The open, welcoming, and fun culture allows me to truly be myself and to succeed by focusing on and enjoying my work without having to worry about perceptions, competitiveness, and other distractions. The operating principles of 'presume trust' and 'be open, honest, and direct' embody the Bain experience and have helped me develop in my personal life, as well as in my professional life. The step-up opportunities for someone just out of undergrad are incredible: the level of client exposure I had within my first six months is way more than I could've hoped for. Perhaps the best part, besides the people, is the seriousness with which professional development is taken. I learn something new every day, and that's absolutely invaluable to me. I feel confident in my work and in my trajectory knowing that I have a full team of mentors, guides, and peers here to support me. What truly encapsulates all of for me is that I unquestioningly refer to Bainies as my friends, not my colleagues.

Cons

Lifestyle, as with any consulting job, can be demanding and tough.

Bain could push harder for a more consistent work-life balance value system across all offices. Additionally, while an unquestionable leader in LGBTQ rights, there is still much to be done in offices like Madrid and elsewhere in EMEA.

Great place to develop and have fun

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very supportive culture. Firm provides multiple resources for advice, professional development, and mentorship throughout your career.

High impact at every level of the organization. Each individual has the opportunity to contirbute to tangible results for our clients, local communities and colleagues in the office.

Cons

Work hours can be long and highly variable. Also compensation and promotion should be more merit based and flexible.

Junior staff have great ideas and want to contribute to client results. Ask more of them and they will deliver!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work and extremely fun culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Bain provides fantastic colleagues, interesting projects in varied industries, incredible professional development and a strong support structure, not to mention unparalleled exit opportunities. I feel incredibly lucky to be a Bainie.

Cons

The hours can be long at times but that is the nature of client work, plus it balances out throughout the life of a case. At times I wish I had a bit more control over my staffing, but appreciate that I am pushed to try new things.

Great culture and high level of mangement engagement

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

High level of management investment in mentoring and professional development
    Great company culture and employees
    Relatively short time on each case which results in a diversity of experience and constantly new and exciting problems to tackle

Cons

What the client wants you to work on isn't always the most fascinating topic
    Work-life balance varies greatly depending on manager and client

Fun and rewarding learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are intelligent, friendly, and very helpful-I honestly think we have the best people of any firm in any industry; We do interesting work that (as far as I have seen) leads to great outcomes for our clients; Chance to learn about many different industries and build valuable skills; Great exit opportunities if/when you decide to leave

Cons

Work/life balance varies heavily by client and manager and can be bad in certain situations; regional staffing model does not facilitate as much travel as BCG or McKinsey's national staffing models do (this could be a pro for some people)

There are always a few case teams doing outstanding work for our clients while keeping the hours and travel very reasonable at the same time. Let's make sure ALL of our case teams have this kind of experience.

Great people, fun work, and exceptional learning experience

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly competitive compensation. Great place to learn both soft and hard skills to excel in business setting. Many mentors to look up to and learn best practices

Cons

Sometimes, work-life balance maybe unpredictable but then you do get enough unstaffed time to rest

Bain's culture is amazing - it fosters learning, fun and humility

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Develop unique 1-on-1 relationship with supervisor and supervisee: the mentoring and learning opportunities are amazing and working so closely with down to earth, smart and fun people is very humbling
    2) Develop great group relationship: Bain promotes an amazing "family-like" culture. Most people really live up to the moto "A Bainie will never let another Bainie fail"

Cons

Demanding work and respect for other team members often lead to a will to over deliver. It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority.

Learning experience

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent place to gain insight into multiple industries, great place to work

Cons

travel, long hours given intense ramping up steep learning curve, but hey, that's also a plus!

Combination of work and dedicated mentors provides great foundation for any future career

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

Good review system, people/culture are great

Cons

Long hours, travel, day-to-day work is not always exciting

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!