Bain & Company

Updated August 21, 2014

4.6

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Really strong training and exit opportunities

Cons

Difficult lifestyle, day-to-day work sometimes grueling

Great Experience

Former Employee - Legal Temp  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Temp in Boston, MA

Pros

Nice office, smart co-workers, friendly atmosphere, challenging work, good leadership, good work-life balance

Cons

Really small cubicles and technology isn't as cutting edge as it should be

Keep up the great work!

Positive atmosphere

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Great people to work with, always willing to share and to learn. Bain hires the best available people, and it shows. This company offers an opportunity to work in a worldwide marketplace on many diverse projects. The company atmosphere is extremely fun, with a definite work hard play hard feeling. Bain finds many ways to help in the community as well

Cons

Hard to set one's self apart with so many talented colleagues.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly, capable, intelligent colleagues

Pros

I had a great experience. My co-workers (from the analysts to the partners) were impressive, capable and friendly. The work was interesting and it was exciting to be a part of a high-performing team.

Cons

Some of my co-workers struggled with their superiors - who didn't support them through the internship. In addition, the work is not as analytical as one would expect. Often times, the solution to a problem can be developed in a week or two and months will be spent preparing materials (power points) to communicate your recommendations.

The BEST place to work

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

As others have said, this place is full of amazing people. Interesting, high-impact work. There is no better place to start your career.

Cons

Hours can be long but it is possible to create a sustainable lifestyle

Absolutely amazing place to start your career!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Bain is an incredible place to start your career out of college and continue to build a career. The learning opportunities are unparalled; over 3 years as an AC/SAC you get incredible exposure and learning. The people are amazing- genuine, inspiring, devoted and caring. The culture is fantastic- fun, supportive. "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" is definitely true! Returning as a Consultant post-MBA (with Bain sponsorship) was equally rewarding. As a college senior, I never thought I'd still be at the same firm, but I can't imagine working elsewhere!

Cons

Hours can be long but this is typical of consulting, and the travel options are better than elsewhere.

Great experience that I would recommend to anyone coming out of school

Pros

Excellent learning experience. Great people. Great business experience that has and I believe will continue to pay dividends in my professional life.

Cons

Exhausting schedule if traveling. Not always the flexibility to work on the types of cases you wanted to work on. Potential to have an unbalanced case load. There a few people that I have in mind that were consistently staffed on bad cases (long hours, unattractive travel, difficult CTL, etc.) and others that were consistently staffed on good ones.

Promise of work/life balance sometimes goes out the door, if the client is deemed important enough. My time at Bain was interesting because the economy was bad (2008 - 2011). It felt as though management was going the extra mile to prove its value to clients at a time when clients were cutting discretionary costs. A lot of people in my class felt burnt, because they chose Bain and sacrificed some earnings relative to IB, in part due to work life balance, but still felt like they were working banker hours (obviously, we had more job security, but that point can get lost in times of frustration). Again, I was at Bain during an interesting time, so not sure how consistent my experience is with those of ACs/SACs today, but my advice is that if you are going to make work/life balance a selling point, follow through lest you'll have some disgruntled ACs. While most in my class stuck around for SAC year, it felt like an unusually high number of people chose not to accept B school sponsorship or left only after a year or 2 of a direct promote. I also recall a lot of people in the class below mine leaving before SAC year.

Great place to start career in consulting

Former Employee - Consultant/Case Team Leader  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant/Case Team Leader in New York, NY

Pros

Nice culture, interesting cases, solid leadership

Cons

Hours, travel, uneven mentoring, unable to specialize for several years

None

Best place for top business talent with inspiring people to work with

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Bain has been a fantastic place to build a career. The two years I'd planned to stay at Bain have since turned into 12 years. The reasons I've stayed: Great learning and career trajectory. I started on the client facing side, but have now moved into a non-client facing position. On both sides I've been continually challenged to learn and grow. The people here are 2nd to none, inspiring role models and friends. They are bright, talented, and engaged in making Bain a great place to work, with great trust and mutual respect. I've also found flexibility in my career where I've needed it (e.g., working part time when my youngest child was little...)

Cons

We pride ourselves in maintaining a lean operating model and cost structure, which means that teams can feel very stretched or resource-constrained.

Would love more communication from our WWMD

Intense fun

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People: Incredibly intelligent, inspiring, fun, teamwork-oriented people
    Work: Lot of exposure to upper management
    Culture: Down-to-earth; never take themselves too seriously; "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" culture

Cons

Not as international as McKinsey (most cases staffed within the country)
    Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours.

Keep up the good work on this incredible culture.
    Provide more international opportunities

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!