Bain & Company

Updated December 17, 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

Unparalleled culture and opportunity - lives up to the hype

Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The breadth and quality of the cases you can cover are hard to come by in all but a few other consulting firms
    -The office based staffing model makes Bain more sustainable than other firms; I interned with another consulting firm where I traveled 4 days a week and was only in my home office on Fridays. I found it unsustainable and felt I didn't know the people in my own office. At Bain, when you don't have client meetings, you can be in your local office. This means you have a more reasonable travel schedule and you really get to know your colleagues.
    -Compensation and benefits are great - can't complain, comparable to similar employers
    -Bain is serious about your development. It's viewed as an apprencticeship and your team really invests in your professional development, regular check-ins to talk about what you're doing well and how you can do better.
    -If you work here, within a matter of months you will start getting multiple solicitations to go work for another company at a level that would be hard to crack into a few years out of business school; I've been recruited almost more heavily here at Bain than when I was in business school.

Cons

-The nature of client service is that you'll have an unpredictable schedule. I've averaged 60 hours a week but it's felt managable so far. If you rotate into the Private Equity Group you won't travel at all but you'll expect to work longer hours due to the nature of the work.
    -Yeah, the only down side is the work life balance - this is not and will never be a 9-to-5 job, but you probably know that already.

Keep up the good work

Best job possible post college

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coming out of college, learning at Bain never stops. Bain has fostered a very supportive environment and you constantly are working with the brightest and best.

Cons

Very few cons. The work hours can at times be long but Bain focuses on trying to maintain a work-life balance.

Bain & Company Response

Nov 25, 2014Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

Thanks for writing about your experience working in our Washington, D.C. office. We value continuous learning and pride ourselves on having the best global training programs. We're always striving ... More

Amazingly satisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone you meet is extremely smart, extremely nice, and extremely humble. Bain has a super supportive culture that makes it a pleasure to come to work every day.

Cons

The firm does a LOT to help make cases a consistent experience, but it's practically impossible to guarantee that in a consulting environment - you will have your ups and downs.

An incredible place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pros about working for Bain & Company. Amazing, smart, and incredibly driven and hard-working people. Managers that are invested in the development of their employees. Some of the best tools available that enable employees to do their job in the most efficient way. An unmatched culture that is focused on having fun, delivering client results, and investing in employee development. A flexible working environment that is not about face time.

Cons

Not many cons. Sometimes it feels like the consulting staff is treated preferentially to other employees which can effect morale with the support staff at times.

All around amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I started my career here and have stayed for so long because I have been given the opportunity to grow and learn. It's been really wonderful. I love the people I work with - everyone is hardworking, down to earth and so much fun to be around. I know it's work but we have a lot of fun too!

Cons

When it's busy it's busy. There are several periods throughout the year where people feel stretched and overworked. In the end though we get through to the other side and feel good about all that we accomplished.

PTA Intern

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

Great employer, good to work with smart people

Cons

Long hours, and stressful project

Good place to learn and grow

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

wonderful people. good compensation. fast learning.

Cons

long working hour, comparing to corporates jobs.

Great place to work but don't bother recruiting for a consulting position with the Chicago office if you are not white

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

*less travel on average compared to other top consulting firms. Focus on travel only as needed. Get to spend a lot of time in the office with teammates and colleagues.
    *thought provoking work and generally great teams and clients
    *exit opportunities are great and if you just want a break, easy to take a sabbatical or transfer for a 6 month period to another office for a new experience

Cons

*Only a handful of non-white candidates end up getting offers and coming here. Hypocritical that even though "diversity" is mentioned all the time but when it comes down to the final decision, other ethnicities lose out at this office. Seen many less qualified individuals given opportunities over ethnic minorities. Yes, if you visit the office, there is no diversity.

Instead of just saying you are diverse, actually be diverse.

Love the coaching I am getting!

Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership pays a lot of attention to how to develop their team members. Great people. Lots of valuable feedback

Cons

Cases are not always as exciting as they sound. Sometimes have to work really long hour. Too much travel

Bain has a lot of great people but is increasingly stuck in 1995

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are really awesome and passionate about what they do. The company is generally very forthright and the compensation tends to be very competitive. The career opportunities after leaving the consulting staff are tremendous.

Cons

Client services is always challenging on lifestyle and Bain is no exception. Leadership usually has the best intentions but there is nothing that protects the front line consultants. People get called of vacations and in on weekends to do work and the LT acts like there is nothing they can do about it. Bain also struggles to value anyone that isn't directly client serving - they're always viewed as overhead even if they are mission critical to serving the client. The partner group is also very stodgy and skeptical of anything new and different.