Bain & Company

www.bain.com
  www.bain.com

Bain & Company Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.6
1,000 Reviews

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 104 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 108 reviews)

More Highlights

Make real impact while developing a tremendous skill set

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. You work on the most important, complex problems the client is facing - which is both immensely challenging and energizing.
    2. Because of this, you get the chance to develop a wide range of skills that truly prepare you for a career as a business leader, regardless of your plans (stay at Bain, move on to for or not-for profit
    3. The support network - and just the general type of people that you are surrounded with - is fantastic. You really become friends with your colleagues and so many people take an active interest in your development and overall satisfaction with the firm/office/career.

Cons

It's consulting, so there the typical long hours and decent amount of travel. As a member of management, trying to make all the pieces fit can be challenging, balance client demands with the desires of people on the team, etc...

Incredible opportunities and incredible people...not like any other consulting firm

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Things that make this culture amazing are wired into the governance, compensation and I operating model of the firm. It's not an accident or just a killer recruiting engine.

There's a reason Bain is not embroiled in scandals or about to be sold...it's about the people and culture.

Cons

Consulting has its downsides, but wouldn't trade Bain for any other firm.

Go to more schools in recruiting...

Fantastic place to learn, develop, and work with inspiring people

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Significant dedication to your professional development
    Steep learning curve that never seems to flatten
    Awesome, smart, insprining, fun co-workes you sincerly miss when you move on to a new project

Cons

Travel cases can drag on (4 days a week in Phoenix for 6+ months)
    It's hard - as soon as you've mastered your job, you're expected to take on more

an ok experience

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

people are great, the atmosphere are friendly, they are willing to help and make you grow in a very fast pace.

Cons

boring ground research, have to make cold calls, not enough data/they are short of budget to support the projects which sucks.

The most incredible set of learning experiences I've ever had

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, the problems you are tasked to solve are challenging and interesting, and the training/coaching is second to none.

Cons

At times your schedule can be unpredictable and swing from very manageable to unmanageable, but this is to be expected in the world of strategy consulting.

Invest in the 1st-2nd years and make sure their team experiences are good; it will pay serious dividends when it comes to the quality of work they put forth.

Best place to work, hands down

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bain does amazing work for its clients. The focus is always on delivering results and working collarboratively with the clients. It is very rewarding work.

The people at Bain are the best. People are supportive and help you develop your career. The combination of making an impact at my clients and working with amazing people make me want to build my career at Bain.

Cons

As with all consulting, the hours can be long, so know what you're getting into before choosing a consulting career. Bain is rewarding, both financially and personally, and it takes dediciation to sustain it long term.

Great people, great culture, great work

Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant (Second Year) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are always high quality and geniunely invest in your future.
    The local staffing model produces an environment that is more sustainable than other consulting companies I have worked for.
    The culture results in a place that is fun to work in and long-lasting relationships inside and outside of the workplace.

Cons

The generalist model certainly has its pros and cons - especially when you join later in your career.
    Bain's dominance in the world of private equity can result in some great learnings, but also pretty much requires its employees to take a tour through the demanding Private Equity Group at some point in their career.

Incredible!

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong focus on personal development
    Value driven approach minimizes unnecessary work and yield loss
    Smart and collaborative people
    Relatively more sustainable
    Fun culture

Cons

More office centric than key competitors (not always a negative)
    Room for improvement in diversity and sustainability

At Bain, the work is both challenging and interesting and the people truly make it the greatest place to start a career

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked on some very interesting projects around the country. I have been given the training and mentoring needed to succeed, while having the autonomy to drive results for our clients with minimum oversight. As great as the work is, at the end of the day, it really is about the people. The people at this company care about your success and really push you to succeed

Cons

The work we do is great but the lifestyle can be rough at times. Traveling away from a family is never easy, but Bain does try to accommodate a more flexible work schedule when possible. Additionally, leading up to a big client update, the hours can be pretty rough, again taking a toll on the work/life balance.

Continue to make the strides forward in addressing tough work/life balance situations--this will drive to even higher morale and better support from the employees

Best place to build a career!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible learning opportunities - I am learning everyday and am never bored. Tremendous flexibility. I really feel like I can work full-time and also be an everyday part of my children's lives. Great support - I always feel like there are people to help me and advise me when I have questions or want to bounce ideas around.

Cons

Bain is an intense, exciting and exhausting place to work. You will be challenged by your colleagues every day and cannot come to work without your A-game on.