Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Great training, great people...long hours, high stress...lots and lots of slides

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people and great training. You learn a lot very quickly and gain access to many industries and functions. Great job for those are new to business / management and don't know where they want to specialize.

ConsHours are long and arduous with high stress. Culture can be disheartening at times, and varies across offices (the west (e.g. SF) has the best culture (most supportive and constructive)...the culture in Europe & NYC can be more cut throat).

Advice to Senior ManagementThink carefully about staffing. Make sure all employees are given access to good mentors early in their case experience.

Best job you could ask for post-college

ProsLearn a ton, work on clients' most important problems, gain the 'consultant toolkit', awesome exit opportunities no matter what you want to do, great people who care a ton about helping you succeed

ConsWork can become very process oriented and feel less impactful at times. Sometimes too little effort is put into fully understanding industry and company context. Culture can be a little overbearing (e.g. pressure to have all three meals together every day).

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove industry expertise so that teams can have better understanding of the client's industry on day 1 and throughout case

Top-notch employment opportunity. Great long-term career or training ground for line management positions.

Partner (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsResults-focused, team-oriented, inclusive, compassionate, always at the top of best places to work lists. Truly a special place for a wide variety of people.

ConsHard place to get a job. Can be challenging work, sometimes unpredictable client needs

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the small company feeling and excitement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career

Senior Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLearn a lot, smart people, interesting cases

ConsYou are still a generalist at the end of the day

Advice to Senior ManagementA bit too fratty at times

Excellent place to learn with smart and fun co-workers

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsStrong culture of mentorship and learning pervades most day-to-day activities. There is a consistent focus to make sure employees are developing the skills they need to succeed.

Variety of industry coverage and practice area capabilities. Regardless of particular area of interest, chances are the opportunity to work in it will pop up at some point.

The people, can not emphasize enough how much this impacts the experience

ConsThe hours can get a bit long at times, and there is the potential for the experience to vary based on the cases assigned (i.e. working at only one company, vs. working at many)

Great Company, not for Everyone

Case Team Leader (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOverall, I had a great experience at Bain. The quality of the people is fantastic and learning environment is great. Particularly for folks starting their careers, Bain provides a great, no nonsense introduction to business. The fact-based and numbers-driven approach to consulting is

ConsThe leverage model leads to a lot of very junior people carrying the bulk of the workload. This sometimes led to fairly shallow analyses of the client's business. People tended to stick to the playbook rather than thinking deeply about the client's industry and specific challenges. This works very well when looking for cost reductions/efficiency, but fails when looking at go to market strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe partners are generally great. They should be paying closer attention to the output of more junior teams and pushing real depth in analysis rather than simple, paint by numbers strategy formulation.

Great place to learn

Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prospeople are fantastic. great culture

Conslong hours. certain cases are not great

Advice to Senior Managementretain people

Great culture & challenging work - ideal place to start your career

Prosculture, people, quick learning guaranteed, skills acquired are sought-after in the job market, company events and trainings are really fun

Conspay and benefits is only ok compared to competitors, unpredictable hours and travelling, career loses attractiveness about 5 years in

Great people, lots of learning

ProsThe people and culture at Bain are what sets it apart - incredibly talented, well-rounded, and down-to-earth... work hard - play hard
    It's an incredible place to start your career in business out of undergrad (or b school)

ConsConsulting lifestyle isn't for everyone

"This opportunity/company is way over-hyped -- a lot of fuss for very meaningless work."

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Ability to get an interview almost anywhere after

Cons- Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment
    - Low client interaction at Associate Consultant level
    - Work for a new MBA instead of a more experienced manager or partner
    - I've seen so many people cry at work in < 2 years here and within a year almost everyone wants to quit
    - Cultish environment - the people here are followers not leaders at all
    - People at top (partners) are essentially sales people so a very "salesy" organization

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason this is the #3 consulting firm -- stop having new MBAs from less than top-tier schools manage talented undergrads from top-tier schools. I wish I had interviewed with BCG and McKinsey as they seem to know how to better nurture top talent.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!