Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority(in 84 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours(in 94 reviews)

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing people and excellent learning opportunity

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSteep learning curve keeps you on your toes
    Working with some of the best and brightest people
    Good salary and perks like expensing dinner and a cab home
    Friendly cooperative culture
    First class training
    Exposure to different industries
    Rarely if ever asked to work the weekend

ConsHouse can be quite long (60 average, peaks of 70-75)
    Some cases/projects last 6-12 months and can get boring
    Limited visibility into when work is required on a weekly basis
    Limited visibility into staffing pipeline

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out poor mangers more quickly
    More honesty in staffing situation, no need to offer a choice if there is no choice
    Think long term and protect your people - push back against aggressive client demands

Bain's culture is amazing - it fosters learning, fun and humility

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros1) Develop unique 1-on-1 relationship with supervisor and supervisee: the mentoring and learning opportunities are amazing and working so closely with down to earth, smart and fun people is very humbling
    2) Develop great group relationship: Bain promotes an amazing "family-like" culture. Most people really live up to the moto "A Bainie will never let another Bainie fail"

ConsDemanding work and respect for other team members often lead to a will to over deliver. It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority.

Great place to start your career

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture, great people, fun place to work - 800 people showed up for our global soccer tournament in Dallas- how many companies would 40 Australians show up for a weekend soccer tournament in Dallas?
    Best job for people straight out of undergrad- really launches your career and gives you a broad business prospective
    Senior leadership take a vested interest in associates
    Lots of opportunities to do non-profit work including volunteering consulting teams
    Opportunity to transfer to another office in your 3rd year for six months

ConsStrong face time culture, lots of variability in hours because of client service industry

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue work on sustainability- I think this drives better results for our clients since teams have to focus on the answer

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible start to my career

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe open, welcoming, and fun culture allows me to truly be myself and to succeed by focusing on and enjoying my work without having to worry about perceptions, competitiveness, and other distractions. The operating principles of 'presume trust' and 'be open, honest, and direct' embody the Bain experience and have helped me develop in my personal life, as well as in my professional life. The step-up opportunities for someone just out of undergrad are incredible: the level of client exposure I had within my first six months is way more than I could've hoped for. Perhaps the best part, besides the people, is the seriousness with which professional development is taken. I learn something new every day, and that's absolutely invaluable to me. I feel confident in my work and in my trajectory knowing that I have a full team of mentors, guides, and peers here to support me. What truly encapsulates all of for me is that I unquestioningly refer to Bainies as my friends, not my colleagues.

ConsLifestyle, as with any consulting job, can be demanding and tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementBain could push harder for a more consistent work-life balance value system across all offices. Additionally, while an unquestionable leader in LGBTQ rights, there is still much to be done in offices like Madrid and elsewhere in EMEA.

Great place to develop and have fun

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery supportive culture. Firm provides multiple resources for advice, professional development, and mentorship throughout your career.

High impact at every level of the organization. Each individual has the opportunity to contirbute to tangible results for our clients, local communities and colleagues in the office.

ConsWork hours can be long and highly variable. Also compensation and promotion should be more merit based and flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementJunior staff have great ideas and want to contribute to client results. Ask more of them and they will deliver!

Great culture and high level of mangement engagement

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHigh level of management investment in mentoring and professional development
    Great company culture and employees
    Relatively short time on each case which results in a diversity of experience and constantly new and exciting problems to tackle

ConsWhat the client wants you to work on isn't always the most fascinating topic
    Work-life balance varies greatly depending on manager and client

best job after undergrad

Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosamazing culture, people development, learn different industries, can transfer to different geos

Conslong hours, hard work, travel every week

Advice to Senior Managementimprove staffing model to create more flexibility

Awesome place to work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsReally strong training and exit opportunities

ConsDifficult lifestyle, day-to-day work sometimes grueling

Intense fun

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople: Incredibly intelligent, inspiring, fun, teamwork-oriented people
    Work: Lot of exposure to upper management
    Culture: Down-to-earth; never take themselves too seriously; "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" culture

ConsNot as international as McKinsey (most cases staffed within the country)
    Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on this incredible culture.
    Provide more international opportunities

Work on interesting and important problems with great people. Very quick learning of broad skillset

Case Team Leader (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFantastic training and personal development
    Talented and relaxed people to work with
    Relatively fewer hours and less travel than other consulting firms
    Work on important problems for Fortune 500 companies

ConsCurrent client list heavy with huge companies doing multi-year transformations. Not ideal if you want to see the tangible difference you personally made

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!