Bainbridge

Updated Mar 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Carlos Arias

Smart people, good M&A clients, intensive learning and opportunity if experienced in sales and dedicated to sector

M&A Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bainbridge full-time for more than a year

ProsWorked for top PE firms that were clients, some market analyzing. Good exposure to various M&A sectors, learned the process of private equity. Didn't do any capital raising, good, just deal sourcing and analysis work. Got to work with major executives owners of companies around country. Some exceptionally bright and motivated people, a couple of folks not so. Six figures in second year if you figure out the right clients and teams and stay away from riff raff.

ConsIt's easy to get a job, hard to keep it leaving more entry level analysts shell shocked. M&A isn't easy, takes patience. This is a sales profession and the company hired a lot of rookies as well as experienced people. The former usually didn't make it. I had a few years of real sales experience and ran circles around my peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring criteria and standards high to reduce more difficult entry level people.

Learned quite a lot as a student

Intern (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bainbridge as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood learning experience in consulting.
Great for student in the area.
Flexible time schedule

ConsManagement is too far from employee and interns.
Do not have meetings or open communications.

Top caliber people,, now,, lots of growth and leadership opportunity, new managers in charge, boutiquey, meritocracy

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bainbridge full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunity for growth and to take on responsibility, Fortune 1000 clients, meritocracy, and location a plus San Diego. A new HR manager started in summer and improved recruiting and operations for the team (she also cleaned up a few bad hires and they ranted). New consulting manager came in as well to shore up past hiring practices and improve skills in analytics, quant skills, strategy, and supply chain. Now case studies and behavioral interviews changed. There are weekly training and Friday afternoon roundtable sessions, more content than past director. Consulting projects sometimes will get venture and private equity work from Bainbridge Capital, and many international engagements. The place is what you make of it, if you're not an overachiever, or have solid work history or GPA, then agree, run away, otherwise a place for top percentiles. It's a meritocracy, and leadership comes from the bottom up by design. People who come in expecting to have hands held and lack skills will suffer. Managing director calls company a laboratory for clients and employees, and new consulting director does good job giving opportunities to lead. They have stopping recruiting from some local colleges, had some bad hires, so now focused on the UC schools for the entry roles, and experienced candidates finally. Company spends a lot per employee on training, benefits, PTO, holidays, so not sure what some other reviews mean, that's not the company I work for and do think they mix up Bainbridge companies on this site. Managers and analysts one and the same, culture of meritocracy, so dialogue internally is now really good.

ConsDiverse work sometimes doesn't allow specialization. The new consulting manager now makes more efforts to put people in their career choice industries on projects. Some analysts hired in a trial over last years were not normally qualified for consulting. Former managers wanted to see if a broader range of candidates could cut it in consulting. Mistake. None of them cut it in consulting, were quickly moved out and that caused issues earlier this year (note some irate people who were forced out). Now new HR manager and director vets all candidates for critical thinking, cultural fit, career alignment, and bio history. A new recruiter supposedly started as well, doing work behind scenes but haven't seen yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for new HR and OPS managers, and consulting director. Keep hiring standards high, don't try that trial again. Need to hire more people with experience balance out. Better communication of what other Bainbridge Companies are doing.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely fulfilling and paved my way to many future career opportunities

Business Analyst Intern (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Bainbridge as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Able to work alongside FT Business Analysts and engage in hands-on projects
-Lots of Excel Building and Primary Research
-Interesting scope of international and domestic projects
-Was able to participate in brain storming sessions with fellow Consultants who were extremely constructive and welcoming.

Cons-None that I can think of.
-This review ONLY applies for the consulting arm. Cannot speak on behalf of private equity and M&A.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the Consulting arm.

New director cleaned up company, but there are two Bainbridges and these reviews are mixed up

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bainbridge full-time for less than a year

ProsBainbridge Consulting has great clients, people, not a top down company, more of a learning lab, puts everyone in position to take ownership, mainly Fortune 1000 consulting, not ibanking at all so not sure what these reviews are taking about. Former director was great, she was a Wharton grad and healthcare guru, new director very smart, analytical, moving company to tech side

ConsIf you're not an overachiever, don't work here. The people who aren't were pushed out recently, and left really upset, and left some bad reviews here it looks like! Contrary to what I know here, the company really is about the employees, it's bottoms up company, not top down, and there is no CEO, there is a managing director, last lady left, new guy in is even better. Beneftits are good, and there is a 401K and a stellar HR manager, so not sure if another company's reviews got mixed in here or not

Advice to Senior ManagementMore tech work is a plus, really like healthcare and education, but the newer tech clients are very exciting. Thank you for the candor and transparency. I would move the underperformers out a lot faster, and recruit more selectively or the mess of the recent clean up would never have been needed. Better to get underperfomers out sooner so they don't become irate and agitated and hurt the culture.

Great for 1-2 years at the beginning of your career, but leave as soon as you have reaped the benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bainbridge full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a small company (20-25 employees) so you are able to "wear many hats" within the company. Lots of room for growth in both responsibility and "titles". Non-managerial employees are top notch. Very bright young professionals, great intellectual stimulation. It is a great starting point for your professional career - you will learn a lot (from both training and trial/error), work a lot of hours, get paid very low but what you take away is what made it worthwhile for me. I would not be where I am in my career if it were not for Bainbridge. I made a lot of lifelong friends at this company as well. For those two reasons, I am grateful for the experience I had at Bainbridge. If you can put up with the b.s. for a year, its a great place to put some time in and get out.

ConsThey consistently lie about their financial health to employees. Managers don't have full autonomy of their teams; they are merely messengers. Managing Director is in his own world (and also likes to put fake reviews on glass door to make the company look more favorable).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor; it is very obvious to former employees. Value your employees and exercise ethical business practices. Managing Director needs to be replaced. Increase transparency! Just be honest with your employees.

Run Away!!!

Analyst/Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bainbridge full-time for less than a year

ProsLearning about in industry and subsector can be intellectually stimulating but with little pratical application in your career later on

The coffee cart outside has a good selection

Consfrequently late paychecks
high turnover (80% in 8 months)
low employee tenure (longest 2 yrs)
Company claims they do investment banking but does not -and does not carry any licenses to do so
low moral
no 401k
no opportunity for advancement

This would be 0 stars if that was an option. Stay away, RUN AWAY from this "company"

M&A Research Analyst (Former Employee)
La Jolla, CA

I worked at Bainbridge full-time for more than a year

ProsThere were a number of highly intelligent people that I worked with.

Cons-Terrible Management that is running the company to the ground.
-Long hours.
-Below market pay, probably less than minimum wage for the work you're asked to do with the hours to do it with.
-Employees are mistreated, as they are replaceable in the eyes of management.
-Really high turnover, I believe since I've worked there I've seen over half the team leave and/or fired.
-Non-existent HR.
-No perks, no 401k, terrible medical coverage (as in they won't give it to you unless you bug them), just god awful moldy coffee.
-Straight up lies to candidates in order to get them to agree to sign on.
-More interns than full-time employees (probably 15 total full-time employees and the rest of the "60" member team are interns).
-Terrible company culture.
-No upward movement
-Fake promotions, they will change your title without offering a change in pay but expect you to perform more.
-You'll never see the CEO, for some time many on the team questioned his existence.

Honestly I'm going to stop here because the list can go on for days. Don't bother with this place unless you enjoy hating life. They mislead young, naive college graduates into working for them under the impression that they will easily make "60k" with non existent bonuses and work them to the bone. Don't fall for it. Company morale was at an all time low before I left and many genuinely hated being there.

Advice to Senior Management– Listen to your employees, treat them better, offer more perks that show the employees you care, pay them more, overhaul the company culture, and lastly, fire yourselves.

Nice people, good environment, challenging work, more than I expected

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bainbridge full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional environment, very focused professionals, over achievers and lots of diverse international peers, very entrepreneurial. Finance and consulting, also PE firm next door, get to see range of professional activities. The CEO has brought us into other projects for the other companies. Learned a lot in past.

ConsSmaller size than most bigger consulting firm, very intense clients at times, San Diego pro and con. Recruiting process too lenient compared to other prof firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job, need streamlined hiring processes

Please don't waste your time

M&A Research Analyst (Current Employee)
La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Bainbridge full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are good people. The management just really mistreats them

ConsEverything from bad management to bad coffee

Worked for Bainbridge? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bainbridge reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bainbridge CEO Carlos Arias. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Bainbridge employees.