Baker Botts

Andrew M. Baker

Great first-job-out-of-law-school

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Botts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompared to other downtown law firms, the people at Baker Botts are nice and considerate.

ConsFace it, it's a downtown law firm. You will work lots of hours, receive little thanks, and be stressed-out most of the time.

Great law firm

Associate (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Baker Botts

Prosrespectful partners, good work, decent work/life balance

Consbilling hours sucks but you can't get around it!

Alright

Attorney, 1st-Year (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Baker Botts

ProsCool reputation. Respectable firm. Pay is good.

ConsFolks are stuffy. Lot of attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet less stuffy

I love Baker Botts.

Associate (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baker Botts

ProsI especially appreciate the quality of work, the people, the flexibility of my working hours, the training, and the attention to professional development. Baker Botts is open with associates about their progress and whether they are on the right track. The firm encourages pro bono and does not limit the number of pro bono hours that count toward billables. There are endless opportunities for professional networking and community involvement. There are also amazing office perks.

ConsI cannot think of any downsides. Personal initiative is key.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my job. I appreciate the opportunities that I have here to become a great lawyer. I also appreciate the formal and informal mentoring available.

Leading Lawyers, Stressed Staff

Secretary (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Botts

ProsWell-known company and very high standards. Promotion of the Firm and its attorneys and their accomplishments is unprecedented. Incredible exposure to the legal field. Training program is wonderful.

ConsIn the past ten years, the focus on treating the staff as well as the attorneys has definitely declined. There used to be a huge company picnic every summer that was loads of fun for families and their children. The staff were given surprise treats throughout the years; you'd come in to work and find a CD case with a certificate for a free CD in your inbox, or a huge bar of chocolate that said something like "We appreciate you". Everything seems to be focused on the attorneys and clients now. There is the Prom, a formal party event for the attorneys and their spouses, and private concerts by people like Lyle Lovett for the client appreciation party. The attorney/secretary ratio has gone through the roof. Used to be two, maybe three attorneys to every secretary. Now the usual is five, some even are responsible for six or seven assignments. New accounting systems have secretaries doing more of the billing responsibilities with fewer resources such as floater secretaries or word processors to assist.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat ever happened to the attitude that the staff is important too? Working very long hours and getting minimal, if any, appreciation from the lawyers is distressing. After closing a major deal that had numerous members of the staff here several overnights in a row, the lead lawyer on the deal said that the overtime compensation was all that was required as appreciation. That doesn't leave one with the feeling that they want to give 110% all the time.

Work for a firm with a purpose.

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Botts

ProsThe friendly environment and the benefits of working for a large firm. The human resource department always makes it easy to ask questions and talk to them if anything is going on in the workplace that you do not agree with. I think that working for Baker Botts was a great opportunity to learn about the firm and the way human resource departments work.

ConsThe environment and work load can be very busy some days. I think that although you get a great exerience, it may be hard to obtain recommendations from employers that work above you. They are constantly growing and keep busy and do not commit to being a reliable resource for recommendation in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they presented themselves in a very official way and made the emloyees feel welcomed.

The money's nice, but could be better for the workload.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Botts

ProsThe money, the money the money. The prestige is nice too.

ConsNo bonuses unless 2000 hours billed, why not allow alternate structures? Other big firms in other cities pay more for less hours, i.e., 1900 or 1850.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither lower the billable hour requirement for bonuses, or allow credit of some portion of recruiting, client development, CLE, firm administration time etc...

US Centric Texan Law Firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Baker Botts full-time for more than a year

ProsSalaries, salary levels for both support staff and fee-earners is competitive in the market.
Client base, the client base and cases that the fee-earners deal with is very compelling and attractive to any fee-earner in the particular fields of expertise.

ConsThe management in London. One particular member of staff was particularly difficult to deal with and unfortunately was a member of the senior leadership team. Most individuals within the London office had an issue with this individual's management style, resulting in many employees leaving the firm directly because of this person. Losing a talented workforce because of one individual does not make good business sense,

Advice to Senior ManagementTake feedback from staff. Support staff are in the main, just that, support staff. No time is taken to hear feedback from them, get opinions on how things can be changed/improved and as such the turnover is quite high. As a member of the support staff there was never any feeling of being valued

Legal Secretarial start in UAE

Legal Secretary (Former Employee)
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Baker Botts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI am just thankful this company gave me the opportunity to start my legal secretarial post here in UAE.

ConsI reserve my comment to myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementEquality.

Stuffy Big Law atmoshphere

I have been working at Baker Botts

ProsThe firm has a great reputation. They provide attorneys with excellent resources. Good facilities. Many very nice people. Some of the partners are extremely well-respected around the country and are tops in their fields.

ConsIt's still Big Law. Although not as bad as some firms, there's still a cut-throat attitude sometimes. And, of course, there's a tremendous emphasis on billable hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with associates. Emphasize quality more over the quantity of billable hours. Pay more attention to good writing. And get into at least the mod-2000s technologically.

Worked for Baker Botts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Botts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baker Botts CEO Andrew M. Baker. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Baker Botts employees.