Baker Botts

Andrew M. Baker

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Secretary

Legal Secretary (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe firm has a lot of benefits, including a great 401K plan. The compensation is very good, at least in my department. I would consider our HR department to be the best in Houston. We work a 7.5 hour day. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

ConsSome would like to work 9/80, but know in a law firm that would probably never happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel our management does a great job. I would like to see some firm activities where everyone can get together outside of work.

Good and bad

Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery smart people; lots of responsibility & client contact early on

ConsManagement - it's all about the profits. Lip service paid to many things. Being a lawyer is no longer treated as a profession. Ridiculous hours are very detrimental to your physical health.

Great place to work for

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStable firm and employee appreciation

ConsNot much room for advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great first-job-out-of-law-school

Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompared to other downtown law firms, the people at Baker Botts are nice and considerate.

ConsFace it, it's a downtown law firm. You will work lots of hours, receive little thanks, and be stressed-out most of the time.

Leading Lawyers, Stressed Staff

Secretary (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWell-known company and very high standards. Promotion of the Firm and its attorneys and their accomplishments is unprecedented. Incredible exposure to the legal field. Training program is wonderful.

ConsIn the past ten years, the focus on treating the staff as well as the attorneys has definitely declined. There used to be a huge company picnic every summer that was loads of fun for families and their children. The staff were given surprise treats throughout the years; you'd come in to work and find a CD case with a certificate for a free CD in your inbox, or a huge bar of chocolate that said something like "We appreciate you". Everything seems to be focused on the attorneys and clients now. There is the Prom, a formal party event for the attorneys and their spouses, and private concerts by people like Lyle Lovett for the client appreciation party. The attorney/secretary ratio has gone through the roof. Used to be two, maybe three attorneys to every secretary. Now the usual is five, some even are responsible for six or seven assignments. New accounting systems have secretaries doing more of the billing responsibilities with fewer resources such as floater secretaries or word processors to assist.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat ever happened to the attitude that the staff is important too? Working very long hours and getting minimal, if any, appreciation from the lawyers is distressing. After closing a major deal that had numerous members of the staff here several overnights in a row, the lead lawyer on the deal said that the overtime compensation was all that was required as appreciation. That doesn't leave one with the feeling that they want to give 110% all the time.

Work for a firm with a purpose.

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe friendly environment and the benefits of working for a large firm. The human resource department always makes it easy to ask questions and talk to them if anything is going on in the workplace that you do not agree with. I think that working for Baker Botts was a great opportunity to learn about the firm and the way human resource departments work.

ConsThe environment and work load can be very busy some days. I think that although you get a great exerience, it may be hard to obtain recommendations from employers that work above you. They are constantly growing and keep busy and do not commit to being a reliable resource for recommendation in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they presented themselves in a very official way and made the emloyees feel welcomed.

The money's nice, but could be better for the workload.

Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe money, the money the money. The prestige is nice too.

ConsNo bonuses unless 2000 hours billed, why not allow alternate structures? Other big firms in other cities pay more for less hours, i.e., 1900 or 1850.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither lower the billable hour requirement for bonuses, or allow credit of some portion of recruiting, client development, CLE, firm administration time etc...

Worked for Baker Botts? Contribute to the Community!