Baker College

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.7

F James Cummins

Pros
  • I went to work every day feeling like I was truly able to make a difference in the lives of our students (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to work if you have a passion for education and helping students achieve their goals (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay considering that teachers must do a lot of preparation for classes (in 7 reviews)

• Also, upper management seems to have a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Team and Family Atmosphere

Current Employee - Dean in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Dean in Flint, MI

I have been working at Baker College

Pros

The institution and leadership has a strong team atmosphere. There is opportunity for collaboration and flexibility for accomplishing work. Finally, there is a great deal of support that is offered to students to be successful. The leadership team and beyond are mission driven.

Cons

The challenges exist in our strength. While we love to have working professionals teaching courses, it is often challenging to engage faculty in organizational commitments and activities.

Programs need more full-time faculty. Continue to focus on quality and supporting the success of students.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Baker College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to do my job the way I see fit
    They are on top of things and make the proper changes where they have to, and based on research.
    Decent pay
    They care about their students. They are the only college I know of that when the state pulled grant funding from the students the college gave it to the students right out of their own pocket so these students would not suffer from the loss.
    I see some complaints on here about how they are changing things and getting rid of people, but I believe these were necessary changes based on enrollment and the needs of the college. And, they only cut in pay was for adjunct workers who were being allowed to work over typical adjunct hours. With the new healthcare system, adjuncts were restricted to 28 hours, a restriction most colleges followed anyway.

Cons

They don't have a lot of open full time positions.

Quite frankly, I think they do a fantastic job. They don't need my advice.

Great support from deans.

I have been working at Baker College

Pros

Consistent employment and quality students within programs.

Cons

None to write about at this time.

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Baker College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most adjunct faculty care, or they wouldn't be there since the pay is so poor. The Owosso campus is generally appealing to the eye. There is a broad range of programs offerings to teach.

Cons

The college seems less focused on students and staff, then on the mighty dollar. Significant layoffs have taken place, (probably 5 rounds this year that I know about), leaving people without the experience necessary to be successful to fill the voids created. The college handled the layoffs very poorly: communicating the changes very poorly to the "survivors" and those affected, and poorly communicating the state of the college. Thus demonstrating that those who can't do business well, do actually teach it. Clearly those in leadership positions are not business savvy. Baker has been a case study in "what not to do".

Additionally some of the college's pay practices have been sketchy at best, encouraging employees to do professional development directly related to their work for the college without pay, or reducing rates of pay without advance notice.

Baker also does a terrible job preparing the faculty for their roles, making decisions regarding what you will be teaching at the last minute, and making books and resources for the class available too late to be properly prepared. In many cases the UBD (Understanding By Design) courses are designed by people who are not in the field and are clearly not subject matter experts. In addition to having poor content, the UBD restricts the instructor's ability to present relevant material that would actually prepare the students for their future. New faculty is poorly trained on internal systems (Blackboard, APA format, etc.) and resources to help them in their new position. I always feel bad for students who have a new instructor who is struggling to figure things out. They pay for the full class, but clearly don't get the full educational experience.

Historically Baker was very proud that the adjunct faculty were working professionals. They did a fantastic job preparing students. Our current direction is making Baker a joke, and the unprepared students are damaging the long-standing reputation.

There really isn't room to grow for adjunct faculty. Number of classes available to teach are restricted (due to both union concerns, and ACA restrictions to the number of hours to be benefit eligible). You really don't have much of a voice or any freedom in what to cover for the term or how to teach. At this point Baker should either set up the "checkout counter" and handout degrees to anyone who can pay, or sell prerecorded videos of lectures. Either would be as effective at preparing graduates as the current trend.

Get back to the basics of running a college/business. Baker has always been an expensive, private college, yet it historically grew despite the fact that "terms" make the credits nontransferable to other academic organizations. The college had a fantastic reputation as a business college, and high graduate employment statistics. Honestly look at what has changed. Truly focus on students and have the right people in place to make the student experience educational and enriching. Perhaps fewer programs, that are managed well, and taught by subject matter experts is a better plan.

Great benefits, poor salary

I worked at Baker College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical, dental, vision, and even long-term care insurance. Pension, tuition allowance, lots of paid time off and holidays. Pleasant work environment, if you're in the 'right' department.

Cons

Low pay. Raises capped at 3%. Salary freezes. Can be gossipy and catty.

There always seemed to be some sort of improvement process going on... discussions, surveys, meetings, etc. It's great that management is focused on continuous improvement, however, try looking at what's already in place.

Stay away from this one

Current Employee - Business Office in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Business Office in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Baker College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Back in the late '90s they were good and then went downhill. Once the plunge started it was quick.

Cons

Just about everything you can think of. Management-especially Vice President-a very poor excuse for a human being-is more about intimidation than anything. Lots of firing of long time employees and replacing with part-time. Recruiters are more numerous than teachers. This "college" has become a joke.

Dissolve the college. Too far gone to fix.

Admin

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Owosso, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Owosso, MI

I have been working at Baker College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Short Hours, Nice People, Great Resources

Cons

Affordable Care Act Restrictions on Part Time Staff

Transition part-time employees to full-time rather than hiring two part-time employees to fill one full-time position.

Ok

I worked at Baker College

Pros

Worked with School Schedule and homework

Cons

Low pay, no authority, micromanagement

Great Company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Clinton Township, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Clinton Township, MI

I worked at Baker College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding watching students achieve their goals

Cons

Communication could improve which would benefit customer service to students

undecided

I worked at Baker College

Pros

Can have a family atmosphere

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Executive leadership is disappointing.