Baker Donelson Reviews

Updated March 2, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
3.9
Ben C. Adams

1. I understand why this firm has made the Fortune Best Companies List.

Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Baker Donelson full-time

Pros

The best thing about working here is the firm culture. Despite being a large firm, the firm seems to have fostered a firm-wide nice guy culture. I haven't met any attorneys or staff who seem like they are not nice. This is important in the legal field, because it seems like our industry is overrun with people who are rude just for the sake of being rude.

Also, leadership seems to genuinely care about the well being of the companies employees.

Cons

At times I wish the firm weren't so transparent (e.g. does the entire firm really need to see who was delinquent in entering their time?). I understand why the firm is transparent, but sometimes it feels like you are being called-out/shamed for failing to do something.

Please keep up the good work.

Office management varies sharply from office-to-office; secretaries considered lowly worker bees.

I have been working at Baker Donelson full-time

Pros

Training provided on an ongoing basis if you have the time to actually take the classes. Time off policy is good, and unused vacation time is bought back at year end which was a pleasant surprise.

Cons

Secretaries are not treated equally, depending on a "who you know" sort of thing. Complaints are not listened to or really even cared about at all. I've heard of attorneys and paralegals treating secretaries like bullies and nothing is done about it despite the firm's so-called "diversity committee". The diversity polices applies to attorneys only. If you don't keep up with training it reflects poorly on your review, but there is usually never any time to complete all the training required, unless you are a paralegal.

Take more care to appreciate secretaries, listen to complaints carefully, and create a work atmosphere that shows equality to all staff.

Job quality varies greatly depending on department.

I worked at Baker Donelson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, competitive salary. Paid downtown parking.

Cons

If you're not an attorney you're a second class citizen.

Better support to those on the front lines would be very helpful. Attorneys can be, um, difficult.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Baker Donelson

Pros

Great work environment- one of the best I've had. Never thought I'd say that about a law firm. Benefits are good and management listens to employees. My boss gives me credit for work I do. I like billable hours because they justify my existence- no wondering if a corporate employer with many tiers of management will lay me off because I am invisible

Cons

Some employees report they are not allowed to bill for everything they do for clients or they don't have consistent work flow

Look for ways to even out billable time .also, look at market salaries

Very fortunate to work here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Baker Donelson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at the Firm are not only smart, but they're helpful and a pleasure to work with. They're willing to take the time to teach you and that's invaluable. C-Suite is incredibly transparent; there are no surprises about finances, growth or personnel changes. Employee appreciation is never-ending.

Cons

I don't have a ton to say here, except maybe that the HR Department could do a better job when integrating new employees. There were some road bumps around my benefits and 401(k) when I first started.

7. Ok place to start a career

Former Employee - Associate Attorney
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney

I worked at Baker Donelson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits; sophisticated legal work; generally decent colleagues considering that it's a large law firm.

Cons

Shareholders talk a big game, but ultimately no one cares if you have enough work to do and it's always your fault if your hours are low.

8. Summer Associate

I worked at Baker Donelson part-time

Pros

Positive office culture and collegiality. Successfully focus on employee morale and effective communication between team. Director-level staff was fairly accessible. Integrated summer associates into important strategic meetings. Wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Was in DC office during major restructuring which could have benefited from better communication in the lead up to the major changes that eventually came about.

Not such a bad firm

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Baker Donelson as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Partner's and associates seemed approachable within reason. A culture of exemplary work product persists. Network infrastructure is commendable. Office layout is also commendable.

Cons

Can't speak to too many cons. The experience was beneficial and can be regarded as a professional highlight. No complaints to speak of.

Continue to invest in your summer associates, they may turn out to be the tremendous contributors in only a few short months.

10. Great place to work, but too glacial in thinking/acting.

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Nashville, TN

I worked at Baker Donelson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people; great culture; caring environment (and that is amazing in a law firm)

Cons

It's a big law firm and all that entails (red tape, politics, etc.)

Trust your people to do the work in ways outside the norm. The firm has been very progressive in its thinking, but could be more so. Also, the economy has rebounded and law school is expensive - up your salaries.

11. Excellent culture and work/life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Baker Donelson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The culture and people here are excellent. There allow you a great balance between your work and life...they require much overtime if any. There is always someone to assist if you are behind or need some extra help on your workload.

Cons

The compensation is low and promotion is limited.

Continue to value your employees and allow them to keep a great work/life balance.