Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
3.1

Quentin Baker

It has been a good fit for me.

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work and pace. Staff are smart and driven. Interesting projects and the people I work with seem to like their jobs and the work. Very well respected technically and that shows in customer relationships and the work you get to do.

Cons

Smallish company and they are trying to handle some areas like training more consistently. You have to be willing to identify your path of interest and then initiate discussion and action to get there. The plus side is I have experienced a lot of flexibility once I helped define the direction I was interested in.

Tell us more about how the company is doing.

Not great, but not terrible

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

1. They treat employees pretty well...in Houston.
    2. In the past the bonus has been pretty good, but they're working on winding that down and bumping up salaries a bit, which I view as a good thing.
    3. The salaries are now becoming decent.

Cons

1. Because it's such a small company, there's no room for advancement. What you get hired to do, you'll do until you leave.
    2. Senior management tends to make poor business decisions, like opening offices in locations that are ridiculous.
    3. Senior management is waaaaay too "hush, hush" about everything. For such a small company there is a surprising lack of transparency.
    4. Benefits seem to be getting slashed.

Close your remote offices. And stop being needlessly secretive about everything.

Sham

Former Employee - Migrant Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Migrant Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros. They are headquartered in Texas and ran by outlaws. Racist, sexist bigots.

Cons

Where to start? The abyss- where wealthy white men hire minorities to treat like slaves. The fat cats sit in plushy offices while every employee suffers. It's modern day slavery folks.

Value an employee. Just try it.

Horrible pay for civil engineers

Current Employee - Project I Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project I Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Great work environment
    2) Work life balance

Cons

1) Very low salaries for civil

Not sure this is the right fit for me.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Stable company, good benefits. Growing company but it is a very painful process.

Cons

people seem unhappy in thier jobs. A lot of the managers have been here for 10+ years and not really sure what they do. Work life balance is not what they sell you in the interview, neither is the bonuses at the end of the year. A lot of type A personalities that clash. Going through major growing pains, a lot of the management is afraid of change and not accepting to making the changes needed.

Doing things to help the moral of the company. Your people are your greatest asset.

Good place to work if you aren't Admin

Current Employee - In Administrative Section in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - In Administrative Section in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The overall culture of the company is nice. The CEO arrives before most employees and his door is always open. Bonus is nice and so are the people. The company is also pretty transparent with it's employees which is great.

Cons

If you aren't an engineer, you aren't valued. All admin staff from accounting, clerical, contracting, and HR are just overhead and you feel that. They definitely don't want to pay you overtime if you work it. Also, if you are in one of these admin positions, there is no room to grow or advance. HR is unhelpful. Salary could definitely be better.

None

The job offers really interesting projects to work on but does not provide the most clear paths for advancement

Current Employee - Project I Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project I Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants

Pros

Great staff to work with - very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. Very u nique position that offers many interesting challenging projects to be apart of. Great senior staff to mentor younger engineers.

Cons

Does not provide very much guidance for advancing your career within the company. Promotions are not even among sections of the company.

n/a

Great work-life balance, but chances of getting trapped in a niche field

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants

Pros

The compensation slightly better than industry average but the benefits package is extremely good with dollar to dollar matching for 401(k). Plus, the work pressure is minimal and lot of flexibility in working. Its a great place to achieve perfect work-life balance. The seniors are supportive and intelligent. The new recruits are made to feel at home and treated fairly. But the quality of work offered to summer interns, especially undergrads, is clerical to say the least. The management is smart and professional. Overall, if you want peace of mind and are happy to stay in the same domain, with moderately challenging work, BakerRisk is the place.

Cons

The main disadvantage is getting trapped in a niche field in the long run. The longer one stays at BakerRisk, switching to different domain becomes more difficult.
    The job gets repetitive after some time, unless you are promoted. The biggest disadvantage could be living in San Antonio, but this is the office that does the best work. The work done at Houston office at junior levels doesn't involve much of skills. Remote and international offices exist on paper and barely contribute in terms of work and revenue.