Baker Hughes

Updated Jan 26, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, but not enough development of young talent

Lab Technician (Former Employee)
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid company, good benefits, great facilities. If anything was required for my job I rarely had any trouble getting it. They were good with allowing holidays and supporting me with day to day problems. Not too much paperwork cluttering up my work schedule either. I had a lot of autonomy and therefore control over my working day.

ConsStaff training was limited and the company was reluctant to allow me to move into different roles. This meant I got bored staying in the same job too long and left to join a company that would allow me to develop.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful that your managers are not using old fashioned management techniques. Communication from the higher level managers was poor. Identify staff who are interested in moving within the company and allow them to develop and change roles.

Baker Hughes Logging Geologist, Aberdeen

Logging Geologist (Current Employee)
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsPays better than any other mud logging company.
Very large company with benefits such as health care + pension contributions.
On the whole my co workers are decent people who help out when you are new and easy to get along with a work with.
Logistics have been kind to me and allowed me to have time off for short notice events, even if i haven't declared it as a holiday. However I know others have not been do lucky.

ConsSome people clearly are not competent and have risen to higher and more responsible jobs on time at the company alone.
Morale is generally low, especially with the more experienced data engineers.
Time on and off is not 2 weeks, there is no structure to time off. It is as and when. Management expect you to sit by your phone and wait for the call. You get 33 days a year holiday and even that can be touched if management has "no one else available". As a result, in this job you cannot really plan your life, or the little life you do get is planned around work.
There does not seem to be any feedback to the SLS managers/coordinators about our performances offshore. It is as if we are just numbers filling spaces and if you get asked not to return to one rig, you will be sent to another one and nothing is done to address why you have been dismissed from a job in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage in regular feedback with geologist/company man on rig to hear how the mud logging team is performing.
Hire enough staff so every job has regular rotation. Being able to plan your social calendar will improve morale no end.

Good place to start your career and probably nothing more

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to start your career

ConsEmployee retention is getting poorer each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's only a matter of time before BH loses its better employees to competitors, there is so much drive to listen to employees views but usually no action is usually taken.

Very demanding, little recognition

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn all fairness, normally pay is high and compensates demand and complexity of the organisation. Good career opportunities (especially abroad and/or Field). Clear policies. Very good internal systems and IT applications. Very global and multicultural.

ConsComplex organisation. Impersonal. Appalling decision making (process takes so long the decision becomes obsolete and you have to start all over again, which is so frustrating). No recognition - it is not only about pay (which is okay but it is not always the case). Getting 0 merit increases globally has happened. Many employees are required to travel and that could harm their personal life - management do not care. Being in a very global and multicultural organisation also means you get phone calls during your weekends from Arabic countries or have to resolve issues urgently, or have conference calls late in the evening (depending on the time zones). So, in a nutshell, some (or maybe... many) positions do not have your classic 9 to 5 schedule, but that is not even deemed important.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome decisions must be made quickly. Recognise the involvement and dedication.

Good place to grow and learn, but it's a big company getting bigger & they don't take care of people

Senior Applications Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent training, opportunities to move worldwide and into different product lines to diversify experience.

ConsIt's a big company with a lot of reorganization and inflating corporate structure. I saw tremendous turnover in my 5 years with BHI. High attrition is, in part, due to not taking care of people - not staying competitive with industry salaries, and organizational instability.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your greatest asset - your people. The bleeding will never stop otherwise & you'll be left with inexperience and the mediocrity that goes along with it.

No Career Opportunities

Surface Logging (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsField staff on the whole are a great bunch of people.

ConsManagement choose to provide no career opportunities and so dissatisfaction is rife and the company loses most field staff within a couple of years. This causes a lack of experience in the teams and a fall in the standard of service.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide career opportunities

Mixed feelings

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes

ProsField Exposure
Great people around me to work with
There was great opportunities for training and travel the world as well.

ConsBeing away from family and friends for long periods
Middle management seems confused with the recent reorganisation of the company

Baker Hughes-lost direction!

Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Prosgood professional staff, great technology and was an innovative and challenging employer

ConsThe organisation has lost its direction with some absolutely awful decisions being made. The merger with BJ on top of the one baker hughes reorganisation was simply madness. There seems to a massive increase in senior managers some of whom lack basic skills and decreasing support for those on the front line. Outsourcing has not ben a success.Additionally how the organisation is treating its staff defies belief. i couldnt recommend this as a place to work for anyone!

Advice to Senior Managementleaders need to be focussed on the business and not try to copy other major service companies. They need to be innovative and seek to engage with their staff who offer a huge asset that is presently not recognised or given opportunities to perform

A bit unequal

Design Engineer/RDD Engineer? (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes

ProsGenerally a good working environment. Infrastructure as far as reference material / resources is very good. Occaisionally interesting opportunities will arise.

ConsThe first thing that has struck me since reviewing this web page is the difference in salaries between the UK and US - at least within engineering. They seem to pay US employees 50% more than counterparts in the UK??? By reading reviews, it appears that American based employees are far more happy with the company than those in the UK and this is probably one of the reasons why.

The majority of processes in place are seen as a big checklist. Having spoken to several staff who have very recently left the company; during their exit interview, HR staff are ticking boxes stating they have asked employees questions - "why are you leaving" etc. but not actually taking down the reasons.

As stated in a previous post, it seems that management dont want to listen to why the staff are unhappy or what changes they would like to see and even if they did are they able to do anything about it? As a result, staff are begining to look for jobs elsewhere for more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow management of each location to have more of a say of what goes on there. I'm often hearing that management in the states are calling the shots on what's happening in our department, this is resulting in staff feeling undervalued - especially since we are being paid so much less than those doing the same jobs in the U.S.

Capable of much more!

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes

ProsGood starting salary. Fairly laid back place to work. Being a big international company with many divisions could allow for your to chop and change what part of the industry you are involved in. The majority of the workforce worldwide are a great bunch of guys and in Aberdeen engineering particularly it is a particularly good place to work in terms of the relationships with colleagues.

ConsMorale is at an all time low and management seem unable or unwilling to do anything about it.

Despite a good starting salary, the rate at which this increases over time is so slow that after a few years of starting, the new starts will be earning just as much as you since starting pay seems to increase inline with annual raises and promotions.

Two or three times a week for the last 1-1/2 years there have been emails coming through about new executive managers etc. How many executives do you need? And is it sensible to tell employees who haven't had a pay rise for over a year that yet another new guy is coming in on a 6 figure salary?

Any little perks that have been in existance from the time i started have one by one been taken away. A free bottle of wine at christmas? A £20 voucher? "forget it, we can't afford it".

New PDM process which is so complex, it takes months from being told you will be doing a project to actually starting it, and even when you do, the process is so over the top with teleconferences and checklists that it takes a lot of enjoyment out of the job.

An attitude of hiring because of a required headcount rather than due to workload requirements. Just because you are offered a job, don't expect there to be work waiting for you when you start.

Promotions seem to be time related rather than competance. Whether you could work a grade above you or not, after a set period of time, you will be promoted to that position. Not before, not after. This only serves to stop people trying to develop themselves as they will not be rewarded for it.

HR seem to have an idea of where they want the company to go "attract and retain the best employees", but there is no actions behind their words to back it up. You may want to do all this, but obviously every other company wants to do the same. How are you going to achieve this?

Most importantly, the pay cannot compare to what other companies can pay. Coupled with the points above, this is resulting in a big walkout of staff who are leaving for around 25% more pay to do the same job elsewhere.

There are many more smaller cons to this company, however, I don't want to pick on every little point. These are the main points that need to be adressed and if they are, Baker could be a good place to work for once more.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak to employees!!! This seems like such an obvious solution to halt the impending exodus from this company. Other employers offer much more in the way of "little perks" that make an employee stay put. You really need to start asking your employees what they would like to see change at department level. If nothing else it will make the staff feel a lot more valued than they do right now.

Invest in job specifc training. Whilst there are some good in-house training courses with this company, there is scope to develop courses much more in line to ones specific position.

Treat your staff now and again. We are all aware of the credit crunch and understand that this has affected our pay rises, however, little things like being taken out for dinner once a quarter, or organising some form of free social event would earn you a lot of respect from your staff.

In short, if upper executives start hiring department managers who are much more interested in retaining staff than cutting every cost, the company could actually flourish now. Just look more than 6 months down the line and think where you would like your company to be.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes reviews and ratings in Aberdeen, Scotland — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baker Hughes CEO Martin Craighead. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees.