Baker Hughes Reviews

2.0
Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work Life balance in my department (in 22 reviews)

• They have good benefits while in the training program (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance is hard if you allow it (in 20 reviews)

• So what does upper management do (in 25 reviews)

1. unsure future

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Broussard, LA
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Broussard, LA

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pay. good health benefits for current employees. other benefits such as vacation time are good, up to 5 weeks.

Cons

recently sold out to Halliburton. Unsure future with pending merger. job demands 24 hour/ 7 day a week attention.

Advice to Management

take note from Companies that value healthy life balance and a culture of alternatives, such as encouraging riding a bike or walking to work and implementing facilities to promote that.

2. Inventory Specialist

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits pay was ok ppl in the warehouse are usually good down to earth

Cons

Tons and tons of false promises, if it's not in writing don't believe it. Upper management can care less about your opinion, or if they do like it, they wait for months then say it is their idea

Advice to Management

There is no advice I can give them. THEY WOULDN'T TAKE IT EVEN IF I DID!!!

3. Leaves a lot to be desired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learn all you can when you can. Put in back pocket. Play the politics if you want to survive.

Cons

Heavy Politics. Block toward those who truly want to learn. Inteq gotta be part of the klan or you won't fit in.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the buddy system, promote on merit/experience. Middle management all over scared for their job. It's evident

Baker Hughes Inc.

Former Employee - Human Resources in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Corporate Face for the community

Cons

Micro-managers from corporate offices in Houston.

Advice to Management

It's not ok for managers to curse out employees or colleagues.

6. Self Serving Corporate

Current Employee - Field Service in Broussard, LA
    Current Employee - Field Service in Broussard, LA

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A corporation being a self serving entity will generally guarantee stockholders a fairly decent profit as long as they realize this type of management will be fairly short lived.

Cons

This type of management is generally accomplished by monopolizing on the work done by the non-management employees. The employees who generate the income will suffer from the excesses of the upper level management - who generally do not generate any capital for the company. This will last only as long as it takes for the better and more seasoned employees to find another job. By doing this it will strip the corporation of their experienced employees and generally leave them short of people to do the work. This will cause them to start losing market share which in turn will cause them to start losing revenue and the value of the stock will drop.

Advice to Management

Start treating your field employees with the respect they deserve. Be honest with your employees. You push ethics but then you do not practice them when it comes to dealing with your own employees. You maintain upper level management salaries while cutting the salaries of the people who actually earn the revenue. While the employees you are mistreating may not have an "earth science" degree, they aren't stupid. There are many reasons they didn't get their degrees. But they are still highly trained and qualified and many will be leaving the company as soon as they find another job.

7. Top oilfield service company

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Broussard, LA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Broussard, LA

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

A safe and family oriented environment. Top team of motivated, dedicated, and driven engineers working hard to provide value for their clients in any environment.

Cons

Demanding schedule that makes family life difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring top candidates that will be ready and willing to lead the company over the next several decades. Stay committed to the core values of Integrity, Leadership, Learning, and Teamwork. Continue to reward employees for their dedication and hardwork and keep nurturing an environment of technology driven solutions!

Very large opportunites, but with high level of baggage.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Broussard, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Broussard, LA

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Pay is higher than Compeditors, normally

Cons

Engineer Program needs complete remodel to prevent mass exodus of talent.

Advice to Management

None.

9. Horrible place to work, most political company you would ever work.

Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Repair & Maintenance Tech I in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

The pay is good and the benifits are really good. If you also like to travel the world this is a good place to go to.

Cons

Employees were very rude and obnoxious. The supervisor knew nothing about the tools or equipment that were in his area. How he ever became a supervisor is a wonder. He also showed heavy favrotisim toward the employees that would go do chores, fish, hunt, or hang out with him after work. Never would write them up for coming in late, standing around talking to each other doing nothing, talking on their phones. He also would get his favorite employees to spy on me while I worked and report to him anything I did. Everything I did was critisized from my walking paste, my clothes being dirty and greaey (Im a mechanic stupid!) , even my facebook was stalked and was said to be unprofessional. Their computer programs were also very hard to understand and keep up with as they would change everything constantly. I was let go for so say poor work performance when I had better applied hours than most of the other employees. Working here was the worst 9 months of my life!!!!!! NEVER WORK HERE!!!!!

Advice to Management

Hire better supervisors who actually know what their doing andare fair to ever employee.

10. Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broussard, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broussard, LA

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

-Its a job that pays decently with pretty good benifits. (Company truck, date rates, decent healthcare, etc.)

Cons

-Management, work schedule, uncertainty of planning personal events around work schedule

Advice to Management

-N/A

Great company to work for....if you have the experience and education.

Former Employee - Electro Mechanical Tech in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - Electro Mechanical Tech in Broussard, LA

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

The benefits at Baker Hughes are about the same as any other fortune 500 company. I worked for the INTEQ division, so I can only review them. They offer insurance, 401K, etc, just like any other reputable company, but they actually have quarter meetings, with any employees who can attend, and hold Q & A about the plans an benefits. They are very helpful at explaining the way their benefit packages work. This is great, because many older and ill-financially sounded, employees do not understand their benefits, and BHI does a great job getting the info out.

Cons

Not much room to advanced, unless you have a degree. If you're a tech, you'll always be one. When I worked there, there were three levels for a technician to advance through. Each one depends on how well you know your job, and the equipments. I've seen people who should have been a level 3 Tech w/ 5yrs of experience, but the supervisor does not believe this employee was worthy yet. It was said that he did not won't the employee to move up, because then he would have to find another reliable candidate to take his spot.

Word of advice, get at least a 4yr degree in Engineering or Technology if you plan on working on the technical side of this industry.

Advice to Management

Do more auditing, to make sure employees are given fair chance to advanced through career ladder.

RSS Feed </> Embed